ANOVOS picks up the high-end Star Wars Costuming License!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Apr 25, 2014.

1. pepperbone

pepperbone Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not sure if this was brought up, but the next wave of Luke helmets retails at $550, instead of $350 when it was originally announced 9 months ago.

Jagjaguwar likes this.
  2. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really? lol. Look online; businesses are more than happy to post their address.
    There's no comparison between a private company and governmental building.

3. Jagjaguwar

Jagjaguwar Well-Known Member

Should have clarified, doesn’t seem unusual for small businesses who likely have small physical presences to list PO Boxes or nothing at all. I also know that UPS offers business addresses that are essentially PO Boxes but look like real street addresses. Who knows if that’s what they’re doing, but it exists.

Or, if this is incorrect, I’d be happy to hear what the physical address for EFX Collectibles is.

4. darthjones2

darthjones2 Active Member

Yes, that house comes right up with a search of Anovos Simi Valley. I guess for tax purposes it could be rented/ purchased as part of the company. And it is very close to the PO Box that keeps coming up. But I agree with everyone here that there could be people living there who have no part of what is going on. No one should be going there to find out anything as the alternative pursuit of action through legal avenues will alert the right people at Anovos, take less time, have more of a binding effect, and will keep you from being arrested for harassment etc.

For instance, it also comes up as Nikki's Doggie Daycare. Something fishy with the computer returns.

Comes up too as Paloma Model and Talent.

Weird.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  5. Jagjaguwar

As far as the Glass and Windows company, looks to me as though that business just so happens to exist near the “center” of Simi Valley, CA. If you try getting directions to the google search result, you’ll see that it’s just taking you to the city, not any specific address.

A search on google maps for just “Simi Valley” should yield the same result. *edit: must be a search for directions to there from wherever you are. Otherwise it doesn’t drop a “pin.”

The 7699QC+ part is a google “plus code,” not an actual address. Basically a coordinate system for use in google maps.

065175F1-648E-4E8D-AE7C-21D35CF03853.jpeg
    F6F1EF2B-9F14-4E4A-9CFB-057B424DA69B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  6. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You mean request a refund. Actually receiving it seems to be a problem right now.

7. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I emailed Anovos customer support this morning, asking for on update. I just got this in reply:

Hello,
    As per the summer update the FOTK kits will be for sure finally shipping all out before celebration 2019 which in in April 2019 the teams will update you via email when they are headed to our warehouse and when they are shipping.

8. oblagon

I wouldn't use EFX as an example, they don't have the best reputation either. It says a lot when a company hides it's location by not listing it or lying; they don't want the ripped off customers coming to ask questions.

Star Wars Helmets likes this.
  9. mluder

mluder Active Member

"Public Company" and Publicly Traded Company" are two different things... 7-Eleven is a public company but privately owned. If you asked me for the address of their headquarters it is perfectly legal to share... Now if you asked me for the address of the owner's private residence that's a different story.

Many small (smart) businesses use PO boxes rather than their homes as the corporate address. In this case it may be that residence or that house may have nothing to do with it. The fact that so many businesses come back associated with that address suggests something tax or legal related going on. I recently saw a story on a news program about a house somewhere in London (I think) that's the address to several fairly large companies. It is done for tax purposes or so they can avoid certain fees associated with licensing etc.

Anyway... Point is, it's absolutely not doxing to share information readily available to anyone who looks for it through normal channels. There is no expectation of privacy when you publicly list an address or phone number, etc.

Cheers
    Steve

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM
  10. Jagjaguwar

It is an example though, as are any of the small-sounding businesses mentioned in this thread as showing up in searches for the supposed Anovos address. The fact is that not every business gives out such details, as I said initially.

It’s possible that the reason for this is something sinister, I suppose, but I personally don’t think that Anovos is in a position to do something that elaborate. It seems they’re having enough trouble with just producing and shipping product. My sense is that the reason any of these companies do this is to direct customers to better channels of communication. In Anovos’ case that’s email, live chat or the phone number they have listed on the website. We have no idea what sort of physical presence Anovos has in California, but it’s entirely possible that whatever physical address there may be is not somewhere where customer support people (as unhelpful as they can be at times) would even be able to respond to any letters or in-person visits. If that’s the case, I’m not sure what benefit there would be to having the actual street address available to customers. It makes sense to have a physical presence and a public address when you’re a business that people can actually purchase from directly, in person. But with these companies, I dunno. I’m not sure why it matters.

And no surprise, but no sign of the promised email with updates yet this week. Thinking I will be requesting a refund tomorrow.

11. Dontdissthefett

Dontdissthefett Active Member

This is a simple answer. They are not a retail location or a showroom that’s open to the public. Even if they were doing a great job delivering product, Anovos location still isn’t a retail location. Because they’re not a store, they don’t need or want people showing up. Not an abnormal practice and is not indicative of deceptive intentions of the business.

12. Jagjaguwar

To be clear, though, I do feel there are a number of things Anovos is doing that point towards either deceptive business practices, or damage control.

On that note, is anyone else unable to see any of the comments on the Anovos Facebook page? I try clicking on posts to read them but it’s as if they’re being hidden.

13. Sewbacca

Sewbacca Well-Known Member

Going on five months for a refund. Communication has been silenced after a few nice reassuring messages saying the finance department will take care of everything and to get back to me quickly. So hopes are high but expectations are low.

Lots of * off people reading various forums. And the way things are it is really feeling like a scam, scheme, etc. and for some to get ripped off again is sad. How does Disney allow this sort of thing happen. Thought Disney would deal with this sort of garbage having their name attached to this company.

8D37157E-68F8-4EBE-9599-4243C9795376.jpeg E4704A07-7F25-4930-B76A-E22280FE4DDB.jpeg BBFFB3BE-9654-4561-901E-F17BBF29AB47.jpeg AB67125C-190C-4A31-9765-706F0E9641B0.jpeg F7083676-7A38-44B5-BC7D-9689B98FD142.jpeg F6816B57-47DC-4C20-9932-1F2DA7B0BBF8.jpeg

14. pepperbone

:eek:

...that is not good news.

15. Emperor Fett

Emperor Fett New Member

Man it’s going to start getting awkward for them when they show up to big events.

16. Weldon

Weldon New Member

I have noticed the same thing you did with the Facebook posts, so I commented one a couple of days ago, asking about delivery of the first wave of a product they are now offering a second wave of, and it was very quickly deleted. I think Facebook still shows a number for comments made, even after the comments are deleted.
    Obviously, it would be advantageous for Anovos to hide the fact that orders are not being delivered as they prey on unsuspecting customers who would pre-order new items. I think this is the very same reason they have not yet updated their shipping calendar. The scary bit is that their advertising for pre-orders and sales of in-stock items, etc., seems to be escalating and, obviously from what I've been reading here and elsewhere, they are way behind on fulfilling way more than just my couple of items.

Jagjaguwar likes this.
  17. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just got off of the phone with Chase (my bank) to start the chargeback process. Since I paid with my Chase debit card, I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything they could do for me. I was also nervous that there would have been too much time that has passed since I ordered.

They were really helpful and they are going to start their own investigation. If they find my claim valid then I will get my money back in 10 days, earlier if they are able to finish earlier.

If someone at ANOVOS reads this, I wouldn't have went this way if the communication would have been better. Missing a date and then going 2+ weeks without an update, not a way to run a business.

18. Jagjaguwar

Ahh, that would make sense, thank you. And agreed on all counts.

Got an email advertising the stormtrooper kits tonight. Not the email I have been waiting for or what was promised last week. I’ll be cancelling tomorrow and waving goodbye to this company.

pepperbone likes this.
  19. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So sorry to hear this.

I would reach out to Disney and Lfl on this.

Anovos has turned into nothing more than thieves and scam Artists.

Joe, Dana, you should be ASHAMED of yourselves!

Sean Hebein likes this.
  20. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If anovos just came out publicly and explained the situation. I don’t think it would have gotten to this level

I have seen some pretty f’ed up stuff happen in community’s. And it always seems like over the years of lies and deceit the truth finally comes out

And when the truth is explained in full detail and seems like the community is sympathetic, understanding, and works with the supplier much easier..

If the truth actually came out, I think anovos would be much more appreciated

Hiding behind the curtain and dodging the tomatoes isn’t the way to do it

Just let these people know what the heck is exactly going on..

Did they screw up financially?! If so fine, explain that. Get some new financial backer, and no that’s not opening up preorders for a new product. Find someone willing to partner into the company and make it work..

There are just so many right ways of fixing this..

I just think the Star Wars prop company’s have the bambino curse... seems like they never stick around

21. oblagon

In the end, Anovos is taking other peoples money and not delivering product. Anovos coming out with a sob story about how they screwed up wouldn't change my opinion of them. They know exactly what they're doing; and once you screw with peoples money and time all sympathy goes out the window IMO.

22. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I totally understand, make no mistake I am not defending this behavior. I have nothing invested in anovos because their prices are too high, and I’m not a fan of the after the purchase fees (handling fee?! Really?)

They could easily just sucker me by just including it in the total price.. but once I add it to cart and see extra money for handling? Give me a break..

400 bucks for vacuum formed plastic helmet ... and I’m getting whacked around 15 bucks for handling... your not making enough profit already on this product that comes from China?...

Enough said

All I’m saying is, it seems once the truth comes out the members realize what’s going on and becomes more forgiving.. that’s just my experience on other runs that feel threw

I have seen here some guys have 5k invested with this company.. that’s not fair.. just come on here and explain

“We have had some serious issues with this and that, our new plan is this, and if this plan goes through we can expect this product this date”

And give the real expected dates.. even if it’s 11 months from now. Just let the people know.. I can guarantee if they came on here today and said all product isn’t going to ship for 11 months. More people would wait the 11 months, then the people backing out..

pepperbone likes this.
  23. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

I don't know where I read this but I'm pretty sure I read that they were not allowed to comment on any of the goings on with the company by either LFL or Disney. I'm not sure how true this is and and don't remember where I read it, it could even have been in this thread. Whatever the excuse they have not posted in this thread for a long time.

24. oblagon

No worries, I was just throwing my 2 cents in :)
    Concerning pricing, I agree that recently they are becoming way overpriced for what you get and the handling fee is pretty crappy. To play devils advocate RS charges around $500USD for a vacuum formed plastic helmet (although I do realize the difference is the linage)

How do you explain companies like Hasbro, Mattel, Hot Toys, etc that advertise and openly talk about future products. Hell, Toy Fair is nothing but that.
    It's just an excuse by Anovos and they are simply passing the buck so they don't have to explain themselves. Easier to blame big bad Disney/LFL which for anyone who's worked with them knows that Disney/LFL does everything they can to get product out. The longest I waited from them for approval was 2 days, not the years Anovos claims.

halliwax likes this.
  25. Jagjaguwar

It appears they’ve changed things as far as the shipping calendar on the website. As in, it no longer exists. Apparently for “ease of use” they’ve moved all updates to individual product pages.

I’m no expert but it seems more like they’re trying to limit how easy it is to see what products are currently delayed or overdue.

Trying to start a live chat since they are supposedly online until 1pm pacific (seems like shorter hours than it used to be?), but it doesn’t appear to be working.

I’m done, I’m out. Taking my money elsewhere.

Edit: **** it, sending an email to them instead. I’ll update when I hear back about how long it’ll be for a refund, and again when I get the money.

Also, friendly reminder that I have an email for Joe Salcedo over at Anovos, should anyone having issues getting refunds want to try using that. As mentioned before, it was posted publicly in a thread by joe a while back, when he still came around the forums. Since there’s been discussion about “doxing” I won’t be posting it publicly here, but anyone who wants it can pm me. Good luck, all. Part of me has wanted to stick it out but between this, the EFX Scout mess, and a less than stellar experience my last go-around with RS Props, I’m kinda done.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    Sean Hebein likes this.
  26. FuzzyWampa

FuzzyWampa New Member

What happen with your RS experience, if you don't mind me asking?

27. Jagjaguwar

Basically, the Scout helmet I ordered took over a year and a half from order to delivery (keep in mind that this was not unique to me, the helmets were all delayed due to difficulty in making them) the first one was cracked in shipping, and despite a couple attempts to get a helmet weathered in the specific style of a screen-used helmet that is photographed on the StarWarsHelmets site, I ended up receiving a Scout lid with the same sort of generic weathering I had from the start (though at least the replacement was not cracked.)

The other issue was a complete TIE commission that took 11 months to receive in its entirety instead of the few weeks it was supposed to, had a damaged chest piece (seems to have been scratched by the metal screws sticking out of the chest box it was packed in with).

All this was back in 2015/2016, and it seems like they’ve really improved things since then. I think my experience was just a combination of bad luck, RS being super busy with an influx of orders, and this being just prior to them making a couple changes that made the customer experience better (possibly including adding more prop builders and a dedicated customer service person.)

Unlike EFX and Anovos, I would have absolutely no qualms about ordering from RS again (planning on it now, actually.) Really great products and nice people. I should’ve clarified my comments initially, they are not and have not ever been in the same league as EFX/Anovos as far as shoddy business practices.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:10 PM
  28. Weldon

Weldon New Member

Anovos shipping calendar has been discontinued and estimated ship dates are now shown on the product page. In the case of the Luke X-wing helmet, 1st wave has been pushed back to Winter (now current quarter) with no explanation or notation of previous shipping estimates. Wave 2 (now available for pre-order) estimate is for winter next year. Haven’t been given any good reason why anyone should believe these dates.

Jagjaguwar likes this.
  29. oblagon

Jagjaguwar Sorry you had that experience with RS. They must have worked out the kinks in production as now they usually bang stuff out in about 4 weeks with few problems to the fit and finish.

nailuj and halliwax like this.
  30. dawyer47

dawyer47 New Member

Hey wanted to update everyone. Took 16 weeks, multiple emails and chats, BBB dispute and an email to Disney. Just got a full refund confirmation via email. It was 8 separate refunds but adds up to my total.

31. Sean Hebein

Awesome news!

32. Sano

Sano Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im just a curious reader and I dont have anything for pre-order. Their stuff looks good, altthough my Kylo Ren helmet from 3 years ago starts to fall apart. No joke! One of the rubber greeblies and the sides is loose and is just sticking to the "back helmet" and the foam insert is also loose. It was on my mannequin for 2 years lol ..

What I wanted to say.. remember when they were at San Diego Comic Con. Didnt they say from the start of 2019, they won't do pre-orders again and will just sell stuff "in stock" ? Or were they just referring to their newer stuff?

33. jkno

jkno Master Member

There was just one Anovos helmet I was interested in: the Death Star Trooper (Fleet Trooper: Take Down AT-ATs and Destroy Planets in ANOVOS' Stunning New Uniforms - Preview! | StarWars.com). But after a while they decided to cancel it. I was not a fan of their Stormtrooper helmet and armor, way too sharp to be truly accurate. Anyway looking at what Anovos is today I'm glad I didn't put my money into pre-orders. Sad to see what is going on with the licensed companies like EFX and Anovos

Anovos-Death-Star-Fleet-Trooper.jpg

34. oblagon

They lied; crappy sellers do that

35. cboath

cboath Master Member

I caught that too. Wasn't going to bite on wave 2 at 350 - just laughed at 550. I suppose it's due to moving to domestic production, but all the delays and stories of blocking people who want out....yeah, i'm done too. Maybe in a couple years if they right the ship i'll consider coming back, but i just don't see that happening.

36. pepperbone

Same here. I would have no issues buying in-stock items that ship a week or so after the purchase. But pre-orders? Nope. Done.

---

I knew nothing about ANOVOS' issues before getting into this mess. I love SW, and I loved Rogue One's production design, so when ANOVOS announced the Merrick helmet; I went for it.

I had already been looking at the Shoretrooper helmet, so a few weeks later I ordered that one. When I received it only a week or so after I ordered it, I was happy with it. Happy enough that I was now hooked on getting more helmets. So I pre-ordered a Stormtrooper helmet. $250 was reasonable. And they had already produced a few rounds of these, so I didn't think the wait time would be terrible (that was 10 months ago).

I also liked the AT-ACT Driver helmet...so I ordered that one. A week or so later, I received it. Again, happy with what I had.

Then they announced Green Leader and Red 5. I already pre-ordered Blue Leader, so I had to have these 2 as well. Pre-ordered them.

And that Tank Trooper helmet was also a design I liked a lot...and it was in-stock. Bwah...ordered it. Received it a few weeks later.

At this point I still had no issues pre-ordering helmets, but a year passed between pre-ordering Merrick and receiving the Tank Trooper helmet. And this whole trip was a lot of money. So I pulled the brakes and waited. I'm glad I did because I'm still waiting.

In between some of these I end up pre-ordering a few more helmets, and all except one was actually delivered.

So how does anyone get a thousand dollars, or two thousand dollars deep into this mess? This is how.
    In my case it's not like I kept pre-ordering without receiving anything. My purchases were split between in-stock and upcoming. It's just that when most of the pre-ordered items kept getting pushed, I started looking around - and ended up finding this place. Discovering that I wasn't the only one.

37. Sean Hebein

My DARKSIDECOSTUMES full set is ready to be shipped apparently. Will likely have them by the end of the week. Craaaaazy fast!

refugee, halliwax and sparrowfan like this.
  38. oblagon

But will it be safe?
    We all know Anovos has spent years making sure you don't explode while wearing your Kylo ;)

Jagjaguwar and Sean Hebein like this.
  39. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

While i realize you're being humorous and seem to have experience in this area, but safety is a real issue. Not only for quality, and flammability, but also dyes and solvents used for dying. Whose to say that their regulatory compliance officer didnt miss something big and their trying to put things back together. Recalls dont ever go over well on the market.

While it doesn't account for some of the absurd delays at Anovos, crazy stuff happens. Now aside from that Anovos definitely needs to improve communication where able and re-examine their business practices to align with best practices and efficiency.

40. oblagon

Safety testing doesn't take years. I too have experience in this area for infants and toddlers, also for electric appliances.
    Anovos and their excuses are a joke.

halliwax likes this.
  41. Kal Argos

Kal Argos Active Member

Agreed, which i believe i tried to convey.