ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber

no, just disney plus. the hoth blaster was woefully blurry :(

If people out there do have access to 4K... we should discuss that hoth blaster, and the graflex card!

haven't gone back through the battle to look for it in more scenes yet

no, just disney plus. the hoth blaster was woefully blurry :(

If people out there do have access to 4K... we should discuss that hoth blaster, and the graflex card!

haven't gone back through the battle to look for it in more scenes yet

Disney plus is 4k ;)

OH well I am having trouble taking screencaps fellas! There is no frame by frame that I can figure out (like youtube)

Remember too that the Vader severed hand stunt saber from ROTJ was a resin copy of the Barbican. I always wondered why the BArbican had a PCB card, and the resin version had bubbles. This sort of implies the timeline that like the V3, when it went out on tour post OT, it was given a new clamp card.

I have them on 4k disks, but my player will not do frame-by-frame advancing :mad:! & I wouldn't be able to do a proper screen cap (I'm low tech guys, sorry). But the clarity of the physical 4k disks over the 4k streaming is incredible. On the streaming I see loads of edge enhancement (on everything), black crush, compression, & I think the image is darker. On the disks, it's all beautiful!
As an example, you can read clearly "Made by" d-ring's in the way, but I know it says Folmer. "New York" is clear as day. In the Hoth ice cave scene. You can even see the cut marks in the t-tracks! Whatever was used was dull.
The blaster Han used to blow up the ProbDroid clearly has a cover knob on it (visible for a frame or two). Geez, I need a new 4k player!!

Last edited:
Sharp eye on that Barbican saber, thd9791! This is a great discussion, and certainly makes learning about the stunt sabers an ongoing education on these props.

Actually, looking at it again, i think it has the square shoulder still. Aka, not carved down.

seriously - does anyone else see square?
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 6.11.00 PM.png

It def looks like it did in ANH. And again, I will bring up that the resin one used in ROTJ has the same shroud shape as what we see when this thing is the Barbican.

It def looks like it did in ANH. And again, I will bring up that the resin one used in ROTJ has the same shroud shape as what we see when this thing is the Barbican.
Seems obvious but I want to state: that means that core/bolts were added for ESB, and the shroud was then cut down for Jedi?

Seems the bubbles in ESB were a little too long for the clamp. They sit flush in Jedi.

I feel like this gives some credence to the idea that this saber is also a BTS/rehearsal stunt in ROTJ. I want to go look at the various pipe stunt pics again...

I saw that sq. shroud too. Much better in your enlargement. As this is hot at the moment here's something else to throw in the pot I came across some time ago. It's a second grub screw in the bottom (rounded) part of the Barbican shroud.

BarbicanGrub2.jpg

Barbicanhighres.jpg

I saw that sq. shroud too. Much better in your enlargement. As this is hot at the moment here's something else to throw in the pot I came across some time ago. It's a second grub screw in the bottom (rounded) part of the Barbican shroud.

View attachment 1281835

View attachment 1281836
Awesome - it actually protrudes above the surface too, interesting.

The last "flange" on the endcap is a differently colored metal than the rest. I would like to look deeper into that. That section seems to be a separate piece. It wasn't included in the casting for the hand gag in Jedi
DV-ROTJ-Lightsaber-Bob-Burns-Collection.jpg

Some details, the D ring block was a replacement after this casting. Note the slotted screw in this greeblie, which has a broken bottom piece
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.13.20 PM.png

Also, the little bit of T track from ANH on the front - but I don't see that second set screw
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.13.30 PM.png

I think it got blanked as part of the casting process. Arrowed irregularity is in roughly the right place. In that series of photo's the top screw is hard to find too & has definitely been blanked.

screwblank.jpeg

I think it is visible (just) in this pic too. I've not been able to find any other shots of this area. It's very noticeable in my first ref. though & that is a good high res photo. Sorry I don't know who to credit it too. If we've been learning anything lately is that resolution is king.

Barbicanmouthscrew.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back