ANH Vader Stunt Lightsaber

Okay - let me clarify. The ANH motorized stunt seems to have survived to empire at least, it has an endcap, holes for wires, etc.

There's a more.recent tube stunt (jedi, Archives video) that has bolts, no holes for wires and no endcap. They're cut the same, and look very similar.

Ok so is Luke holding the ANH motor stunt? Or the pipe stunt?

IMG_8044.jpg

Looks like the pipe stunt to me

Did I Miss the pic with fat grips

Look at the ESB bladed stunts for Luke and Vader. Fat grips galore.

Page 16 and page 35.

The short-bladed stunts had t-track, but the dueling stunt sabers had fat grips. They've been there in pics we've had for ages, even a still from ESB shows one! Once you see them, you can't unsee them.

Another one? What, where!?

Beta copy not fully public yet. Here:
http://sethmsherwood.com/OMGSECRET/V4_2019_betaV2.pdf

Check out the OT pipe stunt page.

Chiming in - I don't think the "Kenner cardback" aka "Square shroud" aka "Barbican" saber was modified again after production of ROJ, for touring. It just went out on tour in the 90s. It was a Vader lightsaber and they pulled it out of a box and put it on tour, simple as that.

The "pipe stunt" I don't believe was the motorized ANH Luke stunt - it's too simple and there's no mechanism to put a motor in. It may have been made specifically as a rehearsal saber. I don't think there are any pics of it outside of ROJ. It is one piece of tube, open at the bottom and the blade-end cut like a Graflex top. It has a clamp on it that is wrapped up in gaffer's tape - unknown what kind of clamp is under it. There are 4 allen bolts that hold an aluminum cylinder (solid) inside of it, and the blade mounts to that. Also on the top is a small threaded hole where a Graflex red button would be (no button present.)

In Dec 2014 I was working in the Archives on the Ralph McQuarrie book. I was looking through some older photo inventories of archives items and came across an image of lightsaber blades. I had never seen these in my time in the archives before (having looked for a long of things for the Costumes book I did with the Archives earlier.) I went looking for them, along with one of the archivists, and we found them in one of the back corners, well out of the way. About 8 or 9 lightsaber blades, one scotchlite coated, and this pipe saber with the blade still attached. Which is not to say it was really "lost" -- of course it had been in there many years and Don Bies was aware the saber blades were there, etc. They had just been tucked away and not seen for a while. A fun day!

Best
Brandon

Chiming in - I don't think the "Kenner cardback" aka "Square shroud" aka "Barbican" saber was modified again after production of ROJ, for touring. It just went out on tour in the 90s. It was a Vader lightsaber and they pulled it out of a box and put it on tour, simple as that.

The "pipe stunt" I don't believe was the motorized ANH Luke stunt - it's too simple and there's no mechanism to put a motor in. It may have been made specifically as a rehearsal saber. I don't think there are any pics of it outside of ROJ. It is one piece of tube, open at the bottom and the blade-end cut like a Graflex top. It has a clamp on it that is wrapped up in gaffer's tape - unknown what kind of clamp is under it. There are 4 allen bolts that hold an aluminum cylinder (solid) inside of it, and the blade mounts to that. Also on the top is a small threaded hole where a Graflex red button would be (no button present.)

In Dec 2014 I was working in the Archives on the Ralph McQuarrie book. I was looking through some older photo inventories of archives items and came across an image of lightsaber blades. I had never seen these in my time in the archives before (having looked for a long of things for the Costumes book I did with the Archives earlier.) I went looking for them, along with one of the archivists, and we found them in one of the back corners, well out of the way. About 8 or 9 lightsaber blades, one scotchlite coated, and this pipe saber with the blade still attached. Which is not to say it was really "lost" -- of course it had been in there many years and Don Bies was aware the saber blades were there, etc. They had just been tucked away and not seen for a while. A fun day!

Best
Brandon

Thanks Brandon :) That sounds like a simple yet incredibly fun find in a dusty corner.

You wouldn't happen to remember if the blades were like.. heavy or light, covered in tape or fabric scotchlite, tapered or like straight pipe?

Last edited:

Best
Brandon

Thanks for that info Brandon! when you post it’s like having a legend of the old west walk into a saloon..

All eyes on you. Dead quiet and waiting to hear what you have to say

The blades are definitely tapered. These would be from ROJ and maybe ESB - I doubt they're ANH blades. They are light weight. I believe they are hollow, and on the base of them there's an aluminum collar inside the blade shaft, and another aluminum collar outside of it. A set screw passes through both and then would tighten down onto the post mounted in the handle -- presumably these collars were added to the hollw tubes in order to give the set screw something to "bite" into. The tube wall itself would not be enough.

The blades may be a composite material. Years ago a member of the props crew told me billiard cues. For what its worth...

Thanks Brandon!! I have bought a new pool sticks but haven’t had luck...

I thought all pool sticks were wood or had to be wood. I need to do some more research now

Yea, thank you BAlinger15

Double collars - the ESB Stunt I just made actually has the inside collar and set screws (I went overboard on set screws). Maybe the outside one would stuff inside the bulb ring or something, very interesting
ESBBlade.jpg

There might be carbon fiber composite pool cues halliwax, hopefully as far back as '79

Yea, thank you BAlinger15

Double collars - the ESB Stunt I just made actually has the inside collar and set screws (I went overboard on set screws). Maybe the outside one would stuff inside the bulb ring or something, very interesting
View attachment 989907

There might be carbon fiber composite pool cues halliwax, hopefully as far back as '79

Damn it... this would make the sound accurate too....

I noticed a couple things today. (Obsessing over this one as of late)

I see 2 "cores". Is one black, and one brass/rusty colored? The empty bolt holes up top under the emitter choke tell me there's 2.
Barbican1.jpg

Barbicanmouth.jpg

Also, I don't think this thing in the mystery electrical box is a bolt. It has 4 corners cut out of it. The sides are cut to fit inside the mystery box. What the hell is this?
Barbicanbox.jpg

View attachment 998313
Also, I don't think this thing in the mystery electrical box is a bolt. It has 4 corners cut out of it. The sides are cut to fit inside the mystery box. What the hell is this?View attachment 998314

It’s not a bolt, there was a thread maybe 15 years ago about the “Barbican” saber where the control box was discussed as well as the control box from the MOM saber since the bottom looks to be potentially the same part. I even did some diagrams of both the saber and the control box I believe. Anyway the “nut” was some sort of electrical component, I forget what, maybe some sort of retaining part or something. I’ll have to try to see if I still have any of the discussion!

That would be amazing, I love working off of previous research

I have a cast of the energized saber which uses the same cut-down box, and I think this component is also in there

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back