ANH Obi Wan special effects lightsaber replica project

This looks so great! I have to admit, having the batteries in the handle does leave this as a striking demonstration
Thank you. I know it‘s not screen accurate, like Halliwax‘ beautiful „Legend Edition“ saber. But hey, if they really used two or three different Obi sabers for the duel, perhaps there was one which worked with a battery in the handle ;)

Did some more „testing“ with my balsa stunt blade today and started to hit another rod with it. Interestingly, the bending of the blade looked very similar to what we can see on screen. That balsa blade is tougher than I thought initially.

Here is a teaser pic of the finished prototype (left: no flash, right: with flash):
Teaser.JPG

UPDATE 7: my finished Obi Wan ANH special effects lightsaber replica prototype:
Prototype 4.JPG

Prototype1.JPG

Without you guys this project would still be spinning in my head – thank you so much for your continuous inspiration and support.

Although we still don’t know if the original V3 lightsaber was ever equipped with a motor and mechanics inside, it’s really cool to see my V3 lightsaber replica next to the ANH special effects lightsaber replica:
R2 & sabers.JPG

Hope you enjoyed my journey as much as I did!

Absolutely phenomenal! It's been awesome to watch this project develop. love that pic next to the V3 and R2!

Thanks for your kind words, means a lot to me!

Could‘t resist and had to apply a coat of „used universe“ today.
View attachment 1304014
You have left me breathless with your stunning work! The most entertaining reading of 2020, by far!!
Is there any chance you would kindly make and sell me one of these please, or if not, perhaps just the 3D print or the aluminium blanks?
I would make one myself, but unfortunately, only have one arm since an accident in 2008.
My email is: simonbrisk@ymail.com and would love to hear from you.
Thanks ever so much for making my year. Absolutely amazing, you should be extremely proud of yourself.
Hope to hear from you soon, my dear friend.
Thanks ever so much,
Simon.

You have left me breathless with your stunning work! The most entertaining reading of 2020, by far!!
Is there any chance you would kindly make and sell me one of these please, or if not, perhaps just the 3D print or the aluminium blanks?
I would make one myself, but unfortunately, only have one arm since an accident in 2008.
My email is: simonbrisk@ymail.com and would love to hear from you.
Thanks ever so much for making my year. Absolutely amazing, you should be extremely proud of yourself.
Hope to hear from you soon, my dear friend.
Thanks ever so much,
Simon.
PM sent.

Must have and keep with the handful of other items I'm keeping from the collection I'm selling. I kept my TM ESB helmet.

I have been on short-time work since the end of March due to the Corona pandemic. This is my first film prop project in many years. Back in 1997 I was digital effects producer on a movie called „Hostile Waters“, which was shot at Studio Babelsberg, Germany. It turned out that the production designer of the movie, Jon Bunker, worked on the original special effects lightsabers that were constructed for Star Wars in 1977. When the „Hostile Waters“ production wrapped, Jon gifted me with a leftover spare aluminum casting of the Obi Wan Kenobi stunt lightsaber, which he kept at home since the end of the production of Star Wars.

Similar spare aluminum casting produced for the original Star Wars:
View attachment 1295683

I converted the original aluminum casting I got from Jon into a replica Luke Skywalker lightsaber from ROTJ, the so-called „V3“ or „shared stunt":
View attachment 1295684

During my visit of Skywalker Ranch and Lucasfilm archives in May 1995, I photographed the original V3 lightsaber, so I had a few nice reference pics at hand.
View attachment 1295687

About two years ago, a short video clip from our kurtyboy caught my attention. It featured his replica stunt Graflex lightsaber with a motorized, spinning blade. I‘ve always been a huge fan of the old, traditional, „magical“ special and visual effects from the times before CGI hit the screens. Soon after, some really interesting threads about the original trilogy stunt lightsabers popped up on RPF, which even fueled my desire and inspiration to start working on such a project.

My first idea was to have my replica V3 lightsaber converted into a special effects saber, but some members here talked me out of that (well done!). For a short time I toyed with the idea to mold my saber and have an aluminum cast produced at a local foundry I worked with in the past, because the original Obi special effects sabers were produced the same way. The biggest problem was - time. I was extremely busy at work until mid March - and then it went from hero to zero. We all know why.

I finally decided to have my saber scanned in order to get a digital representation of the saber, which I thought could be used to program a CNC machine. Soon I had to learn that it is not that simple. I was lucky to find a company here in Berlin who did not only do the scanning, but also the parameterizing of the scanned data plus the necessary drawings and the construction of the 3D model of the saber. During that process, a great number of measurements were taken of my original saber.

Here is a summary how my ANH special effects lightsaber replica was constructed. The screen-used ANH Obi stunt lightsabers for reference:
View attachment 1295689

Jon Bunkers sketch of the mechanics inside the saber:
View attachment 1295690

My drawing for the inner mechanics for my special effects lightsaber replica:
View attachment 1295691

I went for an internal battery instead of an external one, mainly because I intend to use the spinning effect for short demonstrations and not for intense and time-consuming lightsaber duels.

3D model of my lightsaber right after scanning it at a company here in Berlin:
View attachment 1295692
View attachment 1295693
View attachment 1295694
View attachment 1295695

Final 3D model of my lightsaber based on exact measurements and the scanning data. The model was constructed under my supervision by an engineer living in Berlin.
View attachment 1295697

During the digital reconstruction of the saber we noticed that the pommel on my replica V3 lightsaber is slightly off compared to the pommel on the original V3 lightsaber in the Lucasfilm archives. The pommel was not part of the spare aluminum casting that I got from Jon Bunker back in 1997. It was produced by a friend based on limited reference material.

For the V3 special effects lightsaber replica the engineer constructed an entirely new pommel based on numerous reference pics of the original.

Once finished, the 3D model and the construction drawings were sent to a company specialized in CNC machining in order to produce 5 aluminum blanks. I should receive them end of next week.
I can't wait to see more, I've got a project of my own, similar but that version that they used in Return of the jedi for the stunt saber.

Stage 1 of the weathering stage of the Pando's Crystal Chamber, I beed to do a little more work on weathering but I have received my weathered Roman Props I have received my aluinum black and waiting on parts and crystals, I'm going to try something special with the chamber. I plan on using proffie sound board, Shtok Chassies and neopixel lit emitter so I can go low a profile as I can get for the blade plug. Again I have a long way to go but this is the first lightsaber I ever saw at 3 years old in the theater, I have always thought it was the coolest lightsaber ever. I have ideas for a custom work of my own but it will take time. The Stunt saber is not Here from roman props yet and I intend on doing less weathering to the chamber.

Attachments

• 11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 1.jpg
    11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • 11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 2.jpg
    11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 150
  • 11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 3.jpg
    11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 130
  • 11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 4.jpg
    11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
  • 11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 5.jpg
    11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
  • 11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 6.jpg
    11-22-20 Crystal Chamber Weathering 6.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 144
  • 11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 1.jpg
    11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 153
  • 11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 2.jpg
    11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
  • 11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 3.jpg
    11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
  • 11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 4.jpg
    11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 4.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 5.jpg
    11-25-20 Roman Props MK1 5.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Stage 1 of the weathering stage of the Pando's Crystal Chamber, I beed to do a little more work on weathering but I have received my weathered Roman Props I have received my aluinum black and waiting on parts and crystals, I'm going to try something special with the chamber. I plan on using proffie sound board, Shtok Chassies and neopixel lit emitter so I can go low a profile as I can get for the blade plug. Again I have a long way to go but this is the first lightsaber I ever saw at 3 years old in the theater, I have always thought it was the coolest lightsaber ever. I have ideas for a custom work of my own but it will take time. The Stunt saber is not Here from roman props yet and I intend on doing less weathering to the chamber.
So nice!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back