ANH Obi Wan special effects lightsaber replica project

Is this the white 3M graphic film that is slick and has sticky backing but looks grainy upon closer look? I used it too!

I havent smashed it though - good to hear it makes those marks
Sounds like we both use the same material. It is very thin, somewhat stretchy, looks dull white up close (it is missing the protective clear layer) and gives that bright, warm reflection when front-lit. All the details are matching with what Jon told me about the original 3M material they used for the props.

Yes! I absolutely love this stuff. I got like 3 expensive samples so the blade coating i made is pieced together and not one long strip but it seems to suffice
20200507_155909.jpg
20200507_155854.jpg
20200507_155834.jpg

Attachments

• 20200507_160026.jpg
    20200507_160026.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
It does. I'm under the impression the sticky reflective material they used was more rudimentary in the 70s. This feels like you can apply it to a car, much more developed material

Here are some pics of the 3M 7610 material that I'm using for my blades:
View attachment 1296190

It has a matt silver-greyish surface, and it looks very grainy.
View attachment 1296191

This is the back side, which is extremely sticky.
View attachment 1296192

The glowing effect - picture taken with iPhone 8.
View attachment 1296193

That looks like the same stuff we'd put on our cranials in the Navy. I can't believe that never occurred to me as an option before.

UPDATE 2: constructing a special effects lightsaber blade

The first lightsaber blade I ever made consisted of a thin wooden strip coated with green fluorescent paint from a Revell model ghost ship kit. That was back in 1978 - I was 11 years old and got a lot of trouble with my father because I sawed off part of his broomstick for the lightsaber handle.

Some time later, when I learned that the special effects technicians used “frontlight projection material” for the lightsaber blades, the “same material that traffic signs are coated with”, guess what little Tom did to get that mysterious material…

During recent conversations Jon Bunker told me that he used round, untapered balsa wood blades which were painted black and then covered with 3M “Scotchlite” material, leaving a black line for the flickering effect. The reason for using balsa wood for the blades was simple – safety for actor Alec Guinness. I confronted Jon with the fact that we can see different lightsaber blades on screen during the fight, some longer, some shorter, some tapered, some not. Jon replied that he was not the only person working on those sabers, and that different blades were used for filming.

Personally, I’m a fan of strong, lightweight and tapered stunt/special effects lightsaber blades – like the carbon fiber golf club shaft I had laying around for some time. Nevertheless, I bought a round balsa wood stick, about 1 m long with a diameter of 15 mm. It was not that easy to find one which was completely straight, most of them were somehow bent.

I decided to work on my carbon fiber blade first and make some sort of an “idealized” blade. Here is the final result:
Blade 1 no light.JPG
Blade 1 with flash.JPG
Carbon blade 5.JPG
Carbon blade tang.JPG

The shaft was slightly shortened and outfitted with a steel tang. After that, I completely covered it with 3M 7610 reflective material and added a strip of black tape.

Construction of the steel tang:
Tang Collage.JPG

I am not 100% sure if such a construction was used for the blades seen on screen. Based on my research and the available information, I felt comfortable with it. The steel tang was glued into the shaft using superglue.

Compare my idealized carbon fiber blade to the two blades encircled on the table at Lucasfilm archives:
Archives blades on table.JPG

I use a slightly different setup for my balsa blade, an 18mm diameter, 8mm high aluminum "nipple" with a grub screw and a 10cm long, 10mm diameter aluminum tube which is glued into the corresponding hole in the balsa stick. The nipple will then be superglued to the aluminum tube and the end of the balsa blade. Will post pics once ready.

That carbon fiber blade looks great! The balsa blade sounds quite intriguing - looking forward to seeing it

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back