ANH Obi Wan special effects lightsaber replica project

The bronze looks right but that's in shadow, it's lighter than the brown cloak for sure. Are we sure it's metallic paint?
SharedStuntbackstage.png

(Halliwax I hope this is okay to post?)
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.03.53 PM.png

emitter plate used to be painted at least
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.43.05 AM.png

Attachments

• v3 4.png
    v3 4.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 234
thd - we don't know if that particular saber ever made it on screen or if so where & I think VM is after the screen used look, so I'd caution against using it as a ref.

VM - the ref pick you show looks like the emitter face is bare metal but I'm with you that everything in the actual film I've seen the face is painted black & has chips (& thus provides the evidence that it stayed still in use). As for colour match of the weather-vane - in the pic you posted it looks a brass colour to me that has then been toned down a lot. Look at the amount of light on AG's fingers, which are right next to it, it's well lit yet the tone is not that far off that of the emitter which we're pretty sure is matt black. The usual cautions apply, of course, to interpreting single photo's as evidence. Even using the screen footage the WV is pretty dark in tone. Your paint test looks right when in shadow but that part is not in shadow in your OW ref pick. In all of them it's impossible to tell if it's metallic or not.

Hahahaha

Good call MV - i suppose the V2s brown tones are something to think about as well.

Im existentially worried the emitters werent supposed to spin and they just broke. The blades were meant to spin and after breaking were just held to the blade tang none the wiser

But the v2 was specially made to do that were thinking?

Anyway, color wise i vote for browns with hilights, or would like to see off brown tones under lighting experiments

Im existentially worried the emitters werent supposed to spin and they just broke. The blades were meant to spin and after breaking were just held to the blade tang none the wiser

But the v2 was specially made to do that were thinking?
I wasn‘t able to make out a spinning OWK saber emitter when I went though the duel footage frame by frame. And I don‘t think those emitters broke during ANH production. Possibly during ESB rehearsals, where much heavier beating happened, or during RoTJ.

Oh man, John Bunker's diagram doesn't say anything about a separate emitter, you'd think that would stand out as a mechanical part of the saber!

The spinning emitter is my biggest question, I swear to this day I’ve seen black and white footage of it spinning.

For the life of me I can’t find it, but I distinctly remember because Guinness used a line not on screen and it stuck out with me

But if at this time the emitter is not spinning, it brings up another question (or never spun)

Guinness in a interview mentions he uses his thumb to slow down the blade by pressing it up against the emitter.. we can see wear marks on the paint.. during filming as they get worst and bigger..

I don’t want to derail your thread with my crazy thinking, but the spinning emitter has bothered me ever since the 4k came out

I know there is a collar inside between the emitter and hilt, so the theory of the emitter being cut off after ANH isn’t possibly..

There must have been a O ring or press fit bushing that held them together

I experimented with both, a o ring and bushing, and made a brass press fit bushing to keep the emitter locked in place

Jon also mentions he used paper shims.. so maybe the emitter was jammed on there with shims?

I don’t know.. but this emitter has had my mind spinning since the 4k release

Again. I don’t want to derail your thread vadermania

But that spinning emitter has me stumped.. did jon ever mention the hilts were 1 solid piece?

All that follows I'm ref. to V2.
I swear to this day I’ve seen black and white footage of it spinning.
I distinctly remember because Guinness used a line not on screen and it stuck out with me
Might this indicate that it was tried in development then abandoned/changed by the time the duel was filmed ? & this was footage of the trials. Rather like the base 1/4" jack plug from Jon's drawing still seems to be present on Luke's motorised stunt but was not in used for filming.

I know there is a collar inside between the emitter and hilt, so the theory of the emitter being cut off after ANH isn’t possibly..
This being the case now (or for ROTJ) provides no evidence at all that this was the case for ANH. I do think it's true but there is no evidence contemporary to ANH that I know of for this.

Jon also mentions he used paper shims.. so maybe the emitter was jammed on there with shims?
Paper & internal 'collar'. I think this is true ever since I saw this photo. That joint looks very suspicious (no high light line as seen above & below).

Best V2detail.jpg

Best V2.jpg

I will say no more. Sorry I mentioned it in the first place.

That was more for Vadermania. He's trying to do a build thread & I should have left it alone. (I've been doing research & I seriously think I have Asperger's syndrome. Would explain a huge amount of my life not to mention all the sh!t & misunderdstandings I've got myself into here. See - doing it again off topic!)

I've recently completed my working "as-built" stunt prop, and I'll do a write up in my thread as soon as the paint dries tomorrow, but without derailing Vadermania's thread too much and add to this discussion, I have thin paper shims in mine to ease tension off of the d/s, and to keep the whole emitter assembly from "sticking" when it spins.

I am almost 100% certain the emitter was a separate piece, judging not just from the original buck and Brandon Alinger's statements, but from a practical machining stand-point. I just played with my hilt and for those seeing a static emitter, that is more than achievable, and more than likely an agreed upon result. As in, it spun with the d/s and nipple assembly originally, but for a number of reasons I'll get into in my own thread, it may have been a conscious choice to have the emitter loosened from the d/s and nipple. Once in place, the nipple secured to the d/s, the entire assembly is adequately held together; it doesn't need to be secured to the nipple to function.

Matter of fact, it seems to function better without it...But I'll get into that later.

No no, please continue with the discussion. I‘m visiting my mother and my sister on the weekend for the first time since Christmas, bad internet connection and all. Will be back Sunday evening German time.

Ooh, those look really nice! I love how the details came through, especially that groove at the booster/clamp area!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back