ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

image.jpg
That right greeblie on the Jawa gun is the Tomtit cylinder cover (pontoon, Twinkie, catamaran), same as on the Greedo. On the Greedo it has a pair of coax connectors on top, disguising the shape. The sight greeblie is definitely not a Tomtit part. It’s too long and the wrong diameter. My repro is 1.5” (and there are better repros out there.) It certainly could be a solid cylinder: styrene, metal or even a wood dowel.
7F8602E7-2CC8-4B17-ABC8-5E87FC677012.png

So the big question: Is there enough evidence here to suppose that the Greedo, Merr Sonn, and Hero were all built the same way?
-S

So the big question: Is there enough evidence here to suppose that the Greedo, Merr Sonn, and Hero were all built the same way?
-S
Thanks.

Not sure what you mean.
The MerrSonn 44/power5 and HERO were maybe similar but greedo’s blaster is end to end unless you mean the greedo killer and I don’t think it had any similar sight.

I’m happy my input was helpful.
That was kind of an open question for the group. I wasn’t looking for a specific answer, just trying to steer a little thought (my own included) back to the Hero.
Same materials and similar techniques, so the sight greeblie on the Hero could have been made with a tube (or solid) and pushrods. I’ll leave further speculation to the real experts on this prop.
-S

I while ago it was discussed weather or not the remaining antenna rod greeblie was actually intact but edited out in the only real photo available at the time. I guess we can put that to rest. It also appears (In this photo anyways) that there wasn’t a t track or anything except for the antenna rods themselves?
373B4C79-1AEE-4EBC-90B9-B5015EC8195F.png

I while ago it was discussed weather or not the remaining antenna rod greeblie was actually intact but edited out in the only real photo available at the time. I guess we can put that to rest. It also appears (In this photo anyways) that there wasn’t a t track or anything except for the antenna rods themselves?View attachment 1539106
The Left antenna is missing in the post images. The Right short "rod" looks to me a broken off completely in the post image with a little rough glue left under the rod area on the receiver.
In the pre HAN image part of the short right rod is still there but no left.

When adding the LEFT head and flipping it centered there may be room for a rod. So they "could" have made a similar sight as the MerrSonn. ....Would have been short and ugly so I'm glad it broke off ! : )

The off center blurry image is the best we have to go by. I think it could go either way depending on the exact location and angle of the antennas.

Either way there is NO Left antenna head or center part in the images. Just glue IMO.

It's odd the art dept didn't try to replicate the M disc or sight on the Greedo Killer even tho nothing else is close. But it was used in promo pics... but then Han got a haircut by then too ! The M disc was very noticeable.

blaster sight for 2 b.jpg

Last edited:
Although not the Hero, but another thing to note is these rods inside the front-side of the Merr Sonn blasters. Certainly not cast-in obviously.
They look like extra antenna stems, but hard to know. In the front-view Leia photos showing the cylinders on the side being cut hollow throughout, I don't see any evidence of the antenna head at all..but the Leia MS photos we all have aren't great enough quality photos to really tell.. :(

MSrods.jpg

-Carson

Wow, sharp eye! They do look like the right size to be the antennas, but..but...but why? Can hardly see it, not much of a greeblie. Honestly it could just be a rod/wire running the whole way through.

It sure would be great to have at least one hi-res view of the various Top-View chronicles photos..
..I think that alone could likely solve so, so many questions we all have as far as the Hero's barrel greeblie is concerned. Maybe one similar in quality to the one lonepigeon posted of the straight-knurl on the thumb nuts of the crossbar?

-Carson

It sure would be great to have at least one hi-res view of the various Top-View chronicles photos..
..I think that alone could likely solve so, so many questions we all have as far as the Hero's barrel greeblie is concerned. Maybe one similar in quality to the one lonepigeon posted of the straight-knurl on the thumb nuts of the crossbar?

-Carson
That would be great. But if I recall, Lonepigeon prescribed to the T track theory. I can't see how the T track could possibly have ever been there. There is no T track base visible on the MerrSonns or HERO.

Every reproduction that builds a HERO with T track front sight, the base sticks out well beyond the barrel curve and raises the antenna far too much to match any HERO images. It is visibly different.

Surprised if they didn't take pics of the HERO as finished by the prop dept "before" Ford test fired it. After the outdoor test most of the plastic bits broke off so it is what it is in the post images.

There must be other MS images out there.
Do they ever show the MS at Skywalker or other displays?

Funny the Stunts don't have the antenna but since they were done later, the parts may not have been available AND they knew they were too fragile by then...

Last edited:
I do like the theory of the Michell sweep arm base where the mystery disc was. You can see one here in the 4th picture, on the cockpit dash
Star Wars Plug and Control panels

And right from the record player
IMG_0940_zps56c7c315.jpeg

The other similar looking part is the top to the fluid arm, which is thinner and I don't know the diameter. Thanks lonepigeon
151321930_3502463319876257_4414259946611352041_n.jpeg

Well, today's been an interesting morning! Stubbed my little toe and got my parts in from Field Marshall all within the span of a single hour.

Chris was very helpful to talk with in getting some parts I needed, and while I'm grateful for that some of the stuff I received is a bit less amazing. The elite scope I got in particular was a bit messed up in a few ways, so I've (once again) got some thinking to do on what to do with my parts...

That was something I added myself, actually! It looked like the Hero's cradle had a bit of a milling swoop mark there, so I replicated it using a dremel bit that I had. The indent is shallow in person, the image just makes it look deeper than it is.

My entire scope mount has been completely refinished and ground into shape, so almost no part of it is the same as it came from Field Marshall.

EDIT: Some of the ssues I have with my particular Field Marshall elite scope. Unlike the listing's descriptions, the scope did not come blued (not a huge problem as I would intend to do it myself anyways).

What I don't much like is the rather large machining error on the rear brass insert. It looks to me like the lathe was 'bumped' when the brass ring was being turned, as there is a very prominent gouge in the brass ring that goes about halfway around the bell's circumference. This 'gouge' means the brass ring does not mesh with the steel scope body very neatly.

20220128_153512.jpg

20220128_153455.jpg

What was also annoying was some kind of oddity in the scope dial. For whatever reason or another, the lower half of the dial (not the knob base, but the actual knurled dial itself) was not drilled to accept the two main screws properly (the ones you see poking out of the top of the knob once it is assembled). I'm not sure if it used a slightly too-small size or if the holes were cross-threaded, but I just could not thread the screws into them.

20220128_160330.jpg

Screws do NOT fit... (Believe me, I tried!)

Fortunately I had an older scope from Field Marshall (pictured above), so I stole the lower knob off of it to use. It worked perfectly, so I was able to get the dial assembled on the elite scope after swapping out that one piece (now my older regular scope is in pieces though lol). So the lower knob is from my older scope.

20220128_153523.jpg

I could more or less live with these mistakes (though the back ring gouge annoys me), but what was disappointing is that the front brass lens element also seems oddly assembled. While the main element still screws into the scope body itself, the retention piece that holds the glass dome in place doesn't screw into the main assembly for some reason?

20220128_153623.jpg

It just slips in with no threading?

20220128_153652.jpg

So unless I am mistaken, this brass ring needs to be glued in place for the front glass dome to be held securely? This seems like an odd choice considering the entire point of the elite scope is that the brass ring elements didn't need to be glued into the main scope body? As well, the larger back lens element has a brass ring that threads in to hold the glass in place, but for some reason the front's is just a slip fit that needs to be glued?

Even Dark Energy Creations' old steel scope has this separate, inner brass ring threaded.

20220128_153851.jpg

Perhaps these are things I am just nitpicking, but after Todd's scope also arrived with some clear deficiencies I have to confess I am slightly disappointed with both products...

Again I am not trying to bash on either Todd or Chris, especially after they were both pleasant to talk with and personally helped me get some unusual small replacement parts! I guess I am just asking if these issues are things other people had? I just REALLY don't want to be 'that guy' who is overly critical of other people's work, or who always nitpicks things..

Last edited:
You can pick nits here.

The ring may slip in and then when you screw the outer ring to the scope body it will hold the lens in?

Drop of glue or nail polish should help. Plumbers putty.

Not threads. Faster production I guess.

You can pick nits here.

The ring may slip in and then when you screw the outer ring to the scope body it will hold the lens in?

Drop of glue or nail polish should help. Plumbers putty.

Not threads. Faster production I guess.

The main body of the front lens itself screws in, but there is no inner structure to held hold the inner ring in place. Without any glue both the ring and the front glass lens will fall out of the outer screw-in frame and fall back into the scope body, if that makes any sense.

20220128_163401.jpg

I guess I just thought that the elite version scope would not need any glue to be assembled, as the main thing it touted was being entirely able to be assembled without it (hence why it's more expensive than the regular scope, which has the outer lenses glued in).

Nice to see some frank info on the FM scopes, planning to get one eventually. I'd definitely talk with Chris about this, betcha he'll take care of your screwy parts.

The front lens thing isn't a huge problem since it's under the hood, I just didn't expect this part to be non-threaded (especially since the back lens is fully threaded). The lower knurled knob half was a problem, though I'm suspecting mine was just a one-off mistake of being threaded wrong.

The back lens being gouged so much is honestly the thing I don't like the most about the scope I got, as it just draws my eye right to it. Again I would peg this down to a mistake in production, though it certainly would have been nice to have not had it.

As things are I would just say that Field Marshall and Todd's Costumes both have things about their scopes that could stand to be improved.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back