ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

@scottjua - Are you bucking the trend and going with a blued gun instead of a painted gun? I had thought you meant you were bluing the area where the disk was going to be before masking it and then painting the gun black. Is there a consensus on the finish used on the original prop? I'm under the impression most people think it was painted. I think it will look cooler blued, so I'm guessing you're doing it that way because you want to, accuracy be damned!

Very nice job, Clutch!

The nice blueing on the steel scope contrasts nicely w/ the matte finish of the pistol.
Those rings look really nice.

Now just add some weathering to the plastic grips & I think you'll be all finished.

Thanks! I'm holding out for some nice wooden grips. Great looking blasters everyone! BTW, for anyone interested, I just kept the stock MGC finish and sanded it off for the disc area. So my disc has no depth to it

BTW, got some nice metal plaques from fizzle-nuts and some nice acrylic plaque holders from rebelscum. Highly recommended. Here are the plaques:
IMG_2916_zpsd5e3ea53.jpg

Last edited:
What is everyone using to seal the blaster, if you painted it? I'd like to save the finish, but am worried about altering the look. I saw tonight krylon has started making a satin clear coat- should I use that or the matte??

@scottjua - Are you bucking the trend and going with a blued gun instead of a painted gun? I had thought you meant you were bluing the area where the disk was going to be before masking it and then painting the gun black. Is there a consensus on the finish used on the original prop? I'm under the impression most people think it was painted. I think it will look cooler blued, so I'm guessing you're doing it that way because you want to, accuracy be damned!

Pretty much. I see the lip in the painted versions and it looks pretty close to accurate, but I just don't really want to paint it. The blued metal looks better for me, and since I traced the mask with a scribe I actually have a TINY bit of a lip.

I have more milling and drilling to do before I'm done. I'm upgrading my speaker to a 2W honker in the grip, as I want it to be much louder. ^_^

Didn´t WANT too paint mine either, since the finish of my real C96 wasn´t that bad.
But looking at the reference pics, I simply had to when looking for accuracy.

I gave it 1-2 coat of flat black, then started to buff it up and applied weathering...I like the result (even if I am not done by now ;))

Markus

Thanks Pat :)

The H&W is nice, yes.
BUT it shows some wear and tear where the front mount was attached.
That´s why I am thinking about swapping it for a better one...problem is, that the others I have are in TOO good condition and would stand out :lol

Markus :)

The Hero scope has a bunch of rust and wear on the front of the knob due to the mount around either side of the knob base when it was used in ST.
so yours looks pretty good. Very close...though the hero is a bit more beat up.

...just drop it a few times like HF!
Did anyone see HF on Jimmy Kimmel? Funny....

Harrison Ford Won't Answer Star Wars Questions - YouTube

OK, So I got tired of the tiny sound on my blaster, and really wanted to make it much louder. Before I placed the speaker in the mag well, along with the Blaster Core and battery... and recharge port, and being only 18mm, it couldn't push enough sound with such a limited space for resonance.

I decided a 2W bass speaker was the way to go, and figured the only place for it was in the grip.

That meant I could no longer leave the MGC's metal unmolested, so since I was breaking it down, I decided I'd strip the original finish off and blue the bottom to match the top. I also wanted the mystery disc to be present, but since I wanted to blue the metal I wasn't sure what to do. I figured I'd give masking it off a shot, and at worst I'd have to mill it.

Well, masking it off worked PERFECTLY. There's not much of a lip of course, so its less than screen accurate this way, but I used a scribe to trace the circle and there's a faint lip from that.

photo%206.JPG

iPhone camera distortion... it IS round.
photo%207.JPG

photo%208.JPG

photo%202.JPG

For the speaker, I had to mill out the plastic in the grips to fit the speaker and have a little bit of a resonance chamber.

photo%204.JPG

I also milled channels for sound to move and wires to lay
photo%205.JPG

I also had to mill a slot for the wire to lay inside, so the hammer assembly could fit. It was rough and sketchy as I used an end mill bit in my drill press, because I couldn't get enough clearance any other way to get the bit deep enough to cut.

photo%201.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Finally, I decided to round off one side of the safety knurling to make it a little more accurate.

photo%209.JPG

I also discarded the resin grill... its the wrong shape and just looks horrid. I'll wait for the run parts to come.

Quick video: Accurate Han Solo DL-44 blaster with sound - YouTube

I'll get updated completed shots this weekend in nice light.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

here's a couple finished pics... for now. When the new run parts come I'll have a grill, and will replace the anodized aluminum bull barrel with a steel one.

photo%2010.jpg

The hidden sound holes
photo%2011.jpg

I will weather the mount and cross bar more in time.
photo%2012.jpg

Finally, I just made a video showing the fun sound font things I added. Its another recap of the last video also:

Attachments

• photo%2010.jpg
    photo%2010.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 58
  • photo%2010.jpg
    photo%2010.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 80
  • photo%2012.jpg
    photo%2012.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 59
  • photo%2011.jpg
    photo%2011.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 62
  • photo%2011.jpg
    photo%2011.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 61
  • photo%2012.jpg
    photo%2012.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice scottjua very nice indeed, ...
so next are some flares shooting out
the other end of the flashholder . . .
I presume?

-Chaim

Thanks guys! Just needs a grill and some sight greeblies. And I'll swap that aluminum bull barrel for a steel one when the next run parts come.

I play with it daily. ^_^

Hey fellas, I have had my full steel kit from the first parts run, and I am not going to be able to put it together anytime soon. I want it to be as close as I can get (with a denix for the time being) to the assembly and weathering on the original Hero.

Anyone who has done their own be interested in assembling mine for me? Shoot me a PM.

Hey guys! BEAUTIFUL builds everyone!! Now I need your advise....
Although I love the look of a black blaster, I really wanted to replicate the blued look from this pic here of the original:
anhrealherorightqa3.jpganhrealheroleftiu1.jpg

So, with Kpax's advise I am using clear paints to finish my blaster, since I can't find blueing here in Canada. I mist the parts with clear blue Tamiya paint, then again with a couple coats of clear smoke. The final parts look nice and dark, and slightly blue in regular light, but really blue in sunlight. What do you guys think? So far I've only finished the scope and bull barrel. I still have to hit the whole blaster with semi-gloss sealer to dull the shine a little. Here are some pics:
Han ANH 01 (2).jpgHan ANH 02 (2).jpgHan ANH 03 (2).jpgHan ANH 04 (2).jpg

I was going to finish the gun like this but I'm not sure. I have to admit I really like the finish of the parts as-is. But i also like the gun's finish of the blued original.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back