ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies FOUND, Update in 1st Post

Hi All,

Great thread. I have an idea. I see no evidence of the T-rack so far, or a second antenna. I looked at an earlier post and thought the centerline used was off when setting up the two antenna theory. Do you think it's possible they glued one antenna onto the barrel and used it as a sight?

Hi, Welcome.

Anything is possible! Always appreciate a new set of eyes and thoughts.

I did a in depth overlay of the area from all angles (posted earlier) and I concluded that the stuff we see on the promo photos is mostly glue residue and the head of one antenna (and rod)

It seems to me the set up was the two antenna glued on the barrel, on either side of a center blade (T Track or not since it is not there in any photos and we assume that they used the same set up as the MerrSonn)

The only stuff left on the HERO is glue and the one antenna head which if you look carefully at the images I cross referenced, you can see the corresponding highlights of the glue residue in the top and side photos.

I don't believe they were THAT sloppy to glue the "sight" on so far off center.

As for the Disk Q Carson brought up. I just did a bunch of overlays I will post that show that cut on the Stunt gun is in the exact spot as the HERO Disk.

coming soon...

Last edited:

ok...

Based on the new pic posted by Carson above, I did some overlays and comparisons.

We had discussed the "damage to the mount side under the crossbar before which I had thought was the same size and shape of the disk on the other side. (it is)

Judge for yourselves...

diskstuntcompare1copy.jpg

diskstuntcompare2copy.jpg

diskstuntcompare3.jpg

The cut is obviously on the Stunt casting exactly where it is on the HERO.

I think they tried to attach the mount to the left side with a single mounting point similar to the NR receiver and it was rejected due to the inability to use the cowboy style holster carry since the scope would be on the leg side.

They then tried it on the right with a single mount point and it was not strong enough so they went to the crossbar.

The "recessed disk" area was only to make the mount sit parallel to the frame since the front portion of the mag well is tapered.

Why so high?
Why not use the dovetail used in ST? That worked fine.

Maybe they simply wanted the scope to be mounted more in the center as on the HERO and the scope further back.

Also note the slight scribed curved line that could be where the grill was originally.

Maybe they removed the grill for the casting and then put it back (or a new one) Could explain why the glue up of the Grill is so messed up and crooked!
keep thinkin!

Last edited:

one more...

note how the disk circle intersects the impressions left on the stunt casting.
of course the angle of the photos are a little off but you can clearly see cuts, depressions and such left over in the casting and under the paint.

diskcomparestunt4copy.jpg

look at these CU images. I pulled the original stunt pic and got better res.

The center "hole seems to be on the stunt and even the quirky odd shape of it right where it should be and in the center of the piston.

stuntcudisk1copy.jpg

stuntcuholeincenter2cop.jpg

you can really see the circular edge under the piston here.

curiouser and curiouser...

IF this were done by a 1 inch end mill, sometimes it leaves a weird little center swirl area like that where the two sides of the cutter meet in the center.

Last edited:

We'll call you eagle eyes action man from now on!

look at these CU images. I pulled the original stunt pic and got better res.

The center "hole seems to be on the stunt and even the quirky odd shape of it right where it should be and in the center of the piston.

curiouser and curiouser...

IF this were done by a 1 inch end mill, sometimes it leaves a weird little center area like that where the two sides of the cutter meet in the center.

... or EEAM for short...:lol

but in these images, the disk cut is not deep enough to make the disk area parallel to thee frame so that cant be the reason for the cut.

If something was clamped or tightened there maybe it could have "dented" and left an impression there but it would have to be really tightened down.

Could have been something soldiered/welded. there. Soldiered like shotgun barrels the "thing" could be removed and may have left a little debris? Maybe the cut was just to clean up the area for soldier without sanding the entire area and ruining the finish?

Last edited:

I think they tried to attach the mount to the left side with a single mounting point similar to the NR receiver and it was rejected due to the inability to use the cowboy style holster carry since the scope would be on the leg side.

They then tried it on the right with a single mount point and it was not strong enough so they went to the crossbar.

We already know that's wrong though.
The "mystery disk" appears on the gun AFTER the crossbar was mounted on the opposite (right) side. Remember the pre-grill color photos.

They originally had the full Naked Runner gun with left side mount (it was cast this way for the Merr-Sonns). They swapped out the lower half of the Mauser when they had to redo the mount on the right side. The left side was completely clean and unmarked at that point.

yes that is true...:facepalm

You are prob. correct in the switched side mount idea. sequence is not right from the available information.

I looked close at the pre production image again. Not a hint of a mark in that disk area.

How can we explain the Stunt image with the clearly defined cut and center mark in the casting?

At any rate, the switched mount idea is not that important, but the fact that the cut is on the stunt casting is.

And there is a circular indent/cut similar to the Disk under the crossbar mount on the right side.

maybe that is the real mystery

Last edited:

maybe its just the NR receiver since the rear mount area is covered by that little greeble.

but that would mean that the front area has the same kind of disk recess cut.

Maybe it had to be there (at that height) to make the mount level and get the rear mount point in that thick area.

If the same guys at Bapty made the SW version that made the NR gun, maybe they tried to do the mount the same way in the front?

could have started the mount, drilling the front area first, then George runs in (ok...walks slowly) and says he needs the mount on the other side.:lol

Last edited:

How can we explain the Stunt image with the clearly defined cut and center mark in the casting?

The ESB stunts are cast from the blaster after the lower was already switched. They have the scope bracket mounting posts on the right side like the finished Hero. ESB stunts and Merr Sonns are from two different molds taken at two different stages of the ANH Hero blaster. The ESB stunt mold could have been taken after ANH, but I tend to think that there were resin ANH stunt blasters that we've never seen before. It's hard to believe that Harrison Ford would run around with the heavy all metal Hero in the holster for the whole movie.

... thats for sure.

I hope everyone is aware that these Steel parts are pretty heavy!

An assembled blaster will be quite heavy.

Ford would have been very unhappy and bruised lugging the HERO around all the time.

but there never was (or found) a resin ANH stunt gun I assume.

The ESB stunts are cast from the blaster after the lower was already switched. They have the scope bracket mounting posts on the right side like the finished Hero. ESB stunts and Merr Sonns are from two different molds taken at two different stages of the ANH Hero blaster. The ESB stunt mold could have been taken after ANH, but I tend to think that there were resin ANH stunt blasters that we've never seen before. It's hard to believe that Harrison Ford would run around with the heavy all metal Hero in the holster for the whole movie.

Don't the MerrSonn casts have the NR mount points on the Left side? front and back

Merr-Sonn_Model_44.jpg

Don't the MerrSonn casts have the NR mount points on the Left side? front and back

Merr-Sonn_Model_44.jpg

Correct.
The Merr-Sonns were cast first from a different mold than the ESB stunts.
Merr-Sonns - Original NR mounts on left side
ESB stunt - ANH Hero mounts on right side

...but there never was (or found) a resin ANH stunt gun I assume.

Not yet.

Thanks Kpax - you and all the others on this thread are amazing. I found the blaster pic and did a quick test. I think your'e right about the antenna. But if there was another I believe it was butted up against the first - definately no room for a t-rack.. Here's a quick mockup. Also with the disc could something have been screwed down like an adjusting nut with thread (something like the center mount screw). It really looks like something was screwed down hard, scraped away the finish and left slight ridges in the body.

Slight correction to my earlier sequence of events...

I believe the ESB stunt mold was made around the same time the color photographs of the Hero were taken (pre "mystery disk" and grill).

Here's another photo of the ESB stunt...

esbstuntmark.jpg

I took this photo myself when I examined the prop first hand over 10 years ago. This is the same ESB stunt everyone has seen and has pictures of.
The mark looks like a scratched line, not the top of an overall circle indent. No other indication of a full circle on the prop.

This makes sense since it was obviously cast without the grill and I believe the grill and "disk" happened at the same time. It doesn't rule out that the disk was a milled recess, but it doesn't prove anything either.

obviously a photoshopp job! :lol

Drat you mr lonepigeon!

Thanks for the input and very clear photo!

the other marks are not seen on the CU image you posted for sure. No center hole. Must be a coincidence of dust or something.

The top semi circle impression is still in the exact (more or less) spot as the disk and that seeming cut under the piston. just the right size too. Very curious.

back to square one... or round two

Last edited:

so what is this?

Looks like a raised oval rather than a space between the grooves on the receiver.

Is it just the lighting? even if it was a carved out area it is not on the HERO

There is a shadow under the oval so it looks to be raised.

No such thing on the HERO or other Mausers I have seen.

Is this the same upper?

sthiscopy.jpg

just noticed that the safety is the correct HERO safety not the NR with the hole so unless they swapped the safety, it isn't the NR lower with the two mount spots.

I suppose the Disk area could have been filled with putty prior to making the mold.

Fixing the part cut into the top bevel would have been harder than just smearing putty across the flat of the mag well and smoothing. The top cut is so small it would not have been necessary to fix all that well.

Last edited:

Looks like there was an air bubble in the mold that got filled in with resin when castings were made

Thanks Kpax - you and all the others on this thread are amazing. I found the blaster pic and did a quick test. I think your'e right about the antenna. But if there was another I believe it was butted up against the first - definately no room for a t-rack.. Here's a quick mockup. Also with the disc could something have been screwed down like an adjusting nut with thread (something like the center mount screw). It really looks like something was screwed down hard, scraped away the finish and left slight ridges in the body.

Thanks for joining in the conversation!

I did some extensive comparisons beginning about pg 52 but here are some drawing overlays

topviewsideviewlandmark.jpg

topsidelineallcopy.jpg
[/IMG]

4frontsightcomparelonep.jpg

glueresiduerevised.jpg

i think this is the final resting way the HERO was in the last promo pics.

Mostly glue and one antenna (now push rod!) head

The only way the set up really fit for me was using just the blade of the T Track between the antenna and the antenna glued directly on the barrel like the MerrSonn seem to be.

If there is a good pic of the MerrSonn guns top view that have the sight in tact maybe we can tell for sure how they were done but would not tell for sure how the HERO was since that was a different design and they had to adapt the rods etc. but the antenna sitting on the track would be way too high and is very visible.

1merrsonnmatchcuside.jpg

Last edited:

Looks like there was an air bubble in the mold that got filled in with resin when castings were made

interesting thought:

awfully big and symmetrical air bubble in a very smooth area. Usually air gets trapped in corners on castings like that.

If there was a air bubble in the mold, the casting could replicate that but that usually get a raised ball like a potato eye from that inside the hole in the mold.

the resin could have trapped an air bubble there I suppose.

Very smooth top too.

There are a bunch of other pin hole bubbles around there.

...but anything is possible!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back