ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Hey, let's all just get a grip here! haha :lol:
..good setup man =b

-Carson

Pfft, don't worry - I've got a good handle on the situation! ;)

Bad puns aside, I'll call Chris tomorrow to try and arrange some way of getting the right grips I ordered; I want to get my steel ANH blaster properly fitted out with all the right parts.

I think the mounting points on the right-side instead of left, the bull-barrel & the original ANH mount and scope make it probable, but there's no clear images that have surfaced to prove it, unfortunately.

This blaster almost seems like someone was just fooling around with the cast/crew or something, it's ridiculous looking and certainly doesn't look anywhere close to any of Han's blasters, other than being Mauser based. Or maybe there was more deleted scenes where this blaster played a role somehow, like maybe one he took from someone else because he lost his own for some reason?
I wonder if this blaster can be seen holstered on any of the Imperial Officers in ROTJ?

P.S. Both Pat and I noticed earlier on that there were, what appears to be, at least 2 Naked Runner gun sets! It's hard to notice, but there seems to have been multiples. On the ANH Hero, the lower could possibly have been switched out with the Bapty lower used in an episode of 'The Protectors', it already had mounting points on the right side. No bull-barrel or anything though, so the upper isn't what we're looking for on this particular Mauser.
However improvable in these photos, it seems like a good candidate for the ANH lower, so far..

View attachment 1522631

-Carson
what episode is this? (I love the mustache :D )

Decided to record some special footage, just for the fun of it! It's actually really neat seeing this film for the first time, and not just stills!

Last edited:
It’s misleading those shadows are..
BBC41D3C-D427-4923-82AA-07EF2A76D28C.png
D82D3169-9ACD-47EE-A617-FEA6A8930F2E.png
920B88FF-506A-4AF6-BB0A-0ED7FB109485.png

Yeah, it's an old topic - though I personally believe the hero prop and the Naked Runner actually used two separate C96 uppers; both of which had a bull barrel. The chamfers on the Naked Runner's bull barrel are VERY steep, quite a bit more than on Han's blaster. There is also no evidence of Carson's Lump, and the righthand side of the upper receiver is also missing the punch mark on the outside of the slide. The lefthand side of the hero prop also has very shallow grooves on the outside of the slide, wheras they are quite pronounced on the Naked Runner's C96.

All of these could be theoretically explained away somehow, but I personally think they are telling.

Yeah, it's an old topic - though I personally believe the hero prop and the Naked Runner actually used two separate C96 uppers; both of which had a bull barrel. The chamfers on the Naked Runner's bull barrel are VERY steep, quite a bit more than on Han's blaster. There is also no evidence of Carson's Lump, and the righthand side of the upper receiver is also missing the punch mark on the outside of the slide. The lefthand side of the hero prop also has very shallow grooves on the outside of the slide, wheras they are quite pronounced on the Naked Runner's C96.

All of these could be theoretically explained away somehow, but I personally think they are telling.

Very nice observations! I too believe that there were two Mausers made for that film basing on various details. I noticed when I was modeling the barrel area that the bull-barrel is mounted a tad further inward on the ANH Hero than the one shown up-close on screen in NR. Pat noticed too that the serial# and different details as well as the missing 'lump' seemed off a bit off as well.. I wish they would release this film in 4k or something to confirm all of our questions, although doubtedly the correct Mauser.

The episode of 'The Sweeny' seems to somewhat confirm that there were at least two full sets made originally, but in this case, it's most definitely the one that became the ANH Hero's upper, lump and all. Same mods, add-ons and case, except red-lined, but it seems to be a secondary/backup prop...I guess they didn't wanna piss off Sinatra with a prop failure..=b

-Carson

Last edited:
Hmm...

Naked Runner Serial Number.png

Call me crazy, but I really think the Naked Runner uses a different upper than the ANH hero prop. The serial number is tough to make out, but when I slow the uncompressed footage down and really zoom in, the last two digits almost certainly seem to be "2" and "4". You can also make out just half of a number right where the hexagon was cut off and the bull barrel's chamfers start (which are also completely different between both C96s), which means the number was ground past.

Compare this to the Hero's upper:

bapty serial number.jpg

It's a tough match for sure, but I rather doubt the two uppers are the same...

Also, the lengthwise groove in the left rail of the ANH Hero prop is special in that it is very narrow. The groove in the gun in the clip above is not.

Yeah; I mentioned that above too. Theoretically I suppose the rail could have been sanded down, but that seems unlikely given the Bapty picture's bluing seems in good shape.

Are there any clear pictures of a second Naked Runner prop? Is it possible that Bapty put together a new bull barreled mauser by request to fit the flash hider?
Just spitballing here.

Not that I know of, though if we go back to the Pawn Stars episode of the counterfeit DL-44 being brought on (though it seems to have the real scope), Carl Schmidt, the armorer who supposedly made the gun for Bapty, stated they had FOUR guns that were, "f*cked up for firing", and that the gun already had its barrel cut before being made for Star Wars.

Now obviously the one on Pawn Stars is in NO way authentic (aside from the scope maybe), but I postulated that it might not have been an 'intentional' fake, but simply another of Bapty's bull barreled C96s that they 'dressed up' using other parts they had. So I think that there is considerable circumstantional evidence to claim that Bapty made multiple bull barreled C96 Mausers.

Not that I know of, though if we go back to the Pawn Stars episode of the counterfeit DL-44 being brought on (though it seems to have the real scope), Carl Schmidt, the armorer who supposedly made the gun for Bapty, stated they had FOUR guns that were, "f*cked up for firing", and that the gun already had its barrel cut before being made for Star Wars.

Now obviously the one on Pawn Stars is in NO way authentic (aside from the scope maybe), but I postulated that it might not have been an 'intentional' fake, but simply another of Bapty's bull barreled C96s that they 'dressed up' using other parts they had. So I think that there is considerable circumstantional evidence to claim that Bapty made multiple bull barreled C96 Mausers.
Ah yes, I remember that thread now, interesting.

Are there any clear pictures of a second Naked Runner prop? Is it possible that Bapty put together a new bull barreled mauser by request to fit the flash hider?
Just spitballing here.

Just these so far..
Note these were a few years 'before' Star Wars started production as well.

But very much likely to be the upper that became the ANH Hero's. Note the missing 'lock' on the barrel too that Pat kpax discovered too! So definitely the same configuration and basic setup as the NR Mauser, just a different/2nd one as far as we have been able to tell so far..

1st is from: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - Ep.'Who Killed Cock Robin' (1969).
Note the serial on the upper, certainly the same, although we can't see the lump on the other side.. Thanks towards scottjua for the discovery, photos and noticing that the lock-assembly is likely the same..which is odd, since a lot of Mauser C96 parts aren't super interchangeable..?

But certainly not the same lower, just the Upper and lower internal assy, possibly.

Randall+Hopkirk_mauser.jpg

2nd is from: The Sweeney - Ep. 'Big Brother' (1975)
Note the Lump is visible, and the entire case setup is virtually identical to the set we see in the NR caps, although red lined, just not the same one.. So this appears to be the 2nd set made by Bapty that ended up as the ANH Hero's upper.
Thanks to Dpp1978 for the discovery and dcarty for the photos!

SweeneyMauser_01 - Ep. 'Big Brother'.png
SweeneyMauser_02 - Ep. 'Big Brother'.png

-Carson

Last edited:
That's the one! I vaguely remembered seeing that image of the C96 in its red case before, but couldn't recall the specifics of it off the top of my head. Funny enough I was actually considering making something of a similar pistol case for my own blaster, if only to give it something of a real, 'lived-in' firearm (I blame Adam Savage haha).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back