ANH / ESB Stormtrooper helmet / armour

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by voice in the crowd, Dec 17, 2005.

1. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

All,

Obviously with all the excitement of the 'move along' and 'stop that ship' helmets being found and auctioned lately there has been some discussion in another thread as to what pieces from ANH / ESB are known to still exist.

Here is a list of what I think exists but if anyone has any more information or knows anything more on the ANH suits or the recycled ESB suits please fill in the gaps :)

1) The DavidM ANH Stunt Helmet
    2) The BrianR ANH Stunt Helmet
    3) The ANH-ESB Stunt Helmet (with Star Wars patch on the back)
    4) The ANH-ESB Stunt Helmet (Previously owned by John Mollo)
    5) The "Move Along" ANH Stunt sandtrooper Helmet
    6) The "Stop that ship" ANH Stunt sandtrooper Helmet
    7) The Kurtz / Joiner Archive ANH Stunt Helmet
    8) Mark Hammil ANH Helmet (unknown if stunt or hero)
    9) O2 cannister ANH / ESB
    10) ANH Stunt Helmet LFL Archives
    11) ANH Hero Helmet LFL Archives

The only piece of existing armour I can think of is the owned by John who posts on these boards as 'Stormtrooper' he has a O2 cannister from an ANH / ESB. If anyone knows of any other pieces in existence please feel free to post.

* items 10 and 11 added thanks to information from tylerdurden_soap_maker many thanks for that information :)

Cheers Chris.

2. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

John has the full ROTJ suit.

What about the Cameron Oakley helmet as well...

Joe

3. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

CO helmet and armor are ROTJ.

4. voice in the crowd

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input but there are loads of ROTJ and SE edition helmets / suits inside and outside of the LFL archives as much more where made / kept.

I do like the ROTJ stuff but I was really just interested in what is left over from ANH / ESB hence the title of the thread.

Cameron Oakley's helmet is also ROTJ so not really on topic.

John's ROTJ suit came with an ANH / ESB O2 cannister not a ROTJ cannister that is why it got a mention and to my knowledge it is the only piece of ANH / ESB armour left. I also think the shoes on John's armour are ANH / ESB as well come to think of it and obviously the blaster was ESB.

If anyone else knows of any other ANH / ESB pieces please add to the list :)

Cheers Chris.

5. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

If i remember correctlyI think someone here once posted a pic from the LFA of ANH or ESB armor parts.

I'll look if i can find it.

6. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Chris

Joiner says he has 2 full sets of ANH armour, including Peter Diamonds. However a RPB member asked PD before he dies and he said "no way". However given his collection is possible that Kurtz/Joiner do have a set.

Given a few people here have had dealings with JJ maybe they can substantiate???

Cheerrs

jez

7. voice in the crowd

Hi Jez,

Each time Jason Joiner is mentioned on this board people seem to have a lot of negative things to say I personally have no knowledge of him or his collection.

I also don't really see the point of an archive if it is not on show or available for education purposes you would be as well dropping it all down a well and forgetting about it. At least LFL allow their fans to see some of the film props and models in touring shows.

I had heard that Joiner does also upon occasion exaggerate what he has in his collection but again unsure of this.

Also Jez I seem to remember reading somewhere that you had seen one of the Joiner/Kurtz helmets in person and it was repainted very poorly is this true?

If you did see it was it in some show you saw it? or did you get to access some of the Joiner / Kurtz archives?

Edit* Sorry Jez I just saw your post in the other thread I was trying to pull this question of what existed away from Gino's thread as it was going off topic.

Cheers Chris.

8. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

Is it this one you're talking about? :)

[​IMG]

Don't know *when* this pic was taken, but it seems typical of the way stormtrooper armour is stored by LFL... and might explain why my ROTJ suit came with the following ANH / ESB parts...

[​IMG]

I suspect that the boots are from ESB as they have black soles (so can't be ROTJ), but the soles don't match the soles on Han's boots when he's sitting down in the Death Star control room in ANH, with his feet up.
    Then again, who knows how the originals were bought anyways? Maybe the costumers went along to a local shoe shop and asked for 50 pairs of jodphur / dealer boots and as long as they were the same style then it didn't matter if they were different brands or not?
    I suppose not many shoe shops would have 50 pairs of ONE BRAND of jodphur / dealer boot in the required sizes, in stock at any one time anyways.
    Hmmm... I tend to over-analyze things a bit. :lol

[​IMG]

This may well be the only surviving piece of original ANH / ESB armour in existence (although the Joiner / Kurtz collection may have some bits ''n' pieces I doubt if they have a full ANH / ESB suit...)
    The design differs significantly to the ROTJ cannisters, and I can confirm that the plastic it's made from (the white vac-formed bits) is a different type of plastic to the ROTJ armour... much thinner.

I also am fortunate enough to have the original ESB 'stunt' blaster and ESB holster (had belt loops as opposed to pop-fastners / rivets like the ANH / ROTJ ones) but there are threads elsewhere concerning my blaster and replicas so I won't hijack this thread by discussing it here :angel

Cool thread by the way, Chris. It's a sad fact but I reckon most of the original ANH / ESB armour is long-since gone :(
    I can imagine someone holding onto a trooper helmet as a keepsake, but much less likely they'd hold onto a chest piece or shoulder bell etc....

Cheers,
    John

9. voice in the crowd

I had kind of thought the same myself and it makes sense as there appears to be more helmets found than armour pieces.

Is there any way to contact the Joiner/Kurtz archive (or LFL archive) to find out if there is any ANH / ESB armour parts or are they not at all responsive to fans.

I can't understand why if Joiner / Kyrtz had ANH armour why they would be so reluctant to show it off :confused

Joiner / Kurtz sold a pile of pieces off this year to get cash together to support their archive surely they could raise cash by putting on a paying in show of their archives instead of having to sell pieces?

Cheers Chris.

10. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks John, that pic seems to have vanished from my computer.

Cheers

11. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

One ANH stunt and one hero helmet in the archives.

12. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Perhaps because there are so many unlicensed producers of TK armor? If the ANH armor is unique, it's value would be diminished if everyone had an accurate replica...

:cheers,

T

13. voice in the crowd

Thanks for the information tylerdurden_soap_maker but which archive are you talking about the LFL archives or Joiner/Kurtz archive. If it is the Joiner/Kurtz archive is the stunt the one we already have on the list which Jez has seen?

Please don't take this the wrong way as I am not doubting you :) but have you seen these helmets and if so do you have any photographs. I am really only asking to see what kind of condition the two helmets are in.

If no photos then no problem we will add these helmets to the list of survivng ANH / ESB helmets.

Since you seem to be in the know on this subject do you know if there are any other surviving pieces of armour apart from the two helmets.

Any response would be much appreciated :)

Cheers Chris.

14. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

They are in the LFL archives. A friend of mine graciously shared the photos with me and a few of his acquiantances. The photos are of a personal nature, so I don't think they want it publically distributed.

A current member of this forum, who I will not name unless they give me the OK, ID-ed the hero helmet as being the "promotional trooper" who appeared in Star Wars Chronicles and also on-screen.

15. voice in the crowd

Hi SithLord,

I wasn't talking about making copies (although I was thinking it :D and you were obviously thinking along the same lines :lol ) I was just talking about displaying the items and showing their existence to fans like LFL have done. Without getting a casting surely seeing a suit in a glass case isn't that much more of a step forward than seeing it on a TV screen or movie stills.

I don't think a screen used suit would ever reduce in value no matter how many copies were made. There are hundreds of replica ANH stunt helmets but the interest generated from the find of the two new Christies items was not diminished because of this. In fact two people wanted them so badly they both paid roughly £20,000 pounds each just for the privilege of owning them.

If I had the original ANH Vader helmet (something after your own heart I beleive) it wouldn't reduce in value because there are replicas (which there are more than a few).

If Joiner / Kurtz are not willing to show their items publicly how on earth are we to believe they even exist. I just think it is a shame that if such iconic cinema artifacts do exist they are basically doing nothing other than gathering dust (just a figure of speech).

I might add that in the real world it is none of our business what they have in their archives both LFL and Joiner / Kurtz owe none of us anything.

In the world of the hobbyist enthusiast that is the RPF it would be nice to know what they had if someone within our ranks had any snippets of information.

In the first post there is a list of Stormtrooper items known to still exist from ANH / ESB. I would dearly love to confidently add to this list with trustworthy information just to see what is actually left over from the 50+ suits made originally in 1976 thats all I am trying to ascertain :)

Cheers Chris.

16. voice in the crowd

tylerdurden_soap_maker you have no idea how happy your last post has made me you have made my day. I thought that by starting this thread it would be like bashing my head off a brick wall but your information has made it well worth while already. I am also very happy that two more ANH helmets survived the trash compactor :) Your two helmets have been added to the list :D

Many many thanks Chris.

P.S. I totally respect your friends right to not publicly show any photos that is their prerogative.

17. _Lee_

_Lee_ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi guys,relatively new here so just thought id say hi.

I live in the UK and JJ used to own a shop in the town center close to me.When TPM was released and all the hype started building up JJ organised an exhibtion showing a lot of his collection,which included an original set of trooper armour.I cannot be sure,but if i remember rightly it was stated as ESB armour.It was behind a glass screen of course to keep the hands away.

A lot of his?? collection contained items that were moreso related to Gary Kurtz and there was a lot of ESB stuff there.

I know this probably wont help too much,but i can verify that he did claim the trooper armour was real going by the museum like descriptions on certain items.The armour did look aged etc but that is all i can remember.

Regards

Lee

18. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Hey Lee,

Were you able to take any photos?

Later,
    -Brandon

19. _Lee_

Hi Brandon,

No i didnt take any photos :( I wish i had done now.I remember being a little shocked at the trooper outfit at the time because there was no mention of it in the local press etc.He also had a lifesize Falcon cockpit there too which was amazing.

Lee

20. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

Hi Lee,

Do you happen to know if JJ has any more plans to show off his stuff?And just out of interest,which town/city do you live in?

-Paul.

21. Star Wars Helmets

When I spoke to Joiner a couple of years ago on the subject I got the impression he was totally against the idea of showing off his collection.

I thought this a little ironic given his original intention was to build "an independent collection to protect these iconic props for further generations". I presume therefore he meant to "preserve them for the chosen hand-picked few who would get the chance of seeing them"

As far as the LFL Archives Hero - I wondered if this was the helmet MR used as a basis for their new Hero helmet. If so its a shame they didnt just do a straight 1:1 copy since its the most iconic Hero helmet, featured in all the studio shots.

Cheers

Jez

22. _Lee_

Paul,

I have no idea mate.The shop he owned has since shut down and hes gone elsewhere.I live in Luton,Bedfordshire.I will try to dig the poster out tommorow for the exhibtion and hopefully someone can host it for me on here :)

23. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That really is sad.If I had a collection like that and the money he has I`d welcome any Star Wars fan in to see it and share the excitement.Something loved by so many people should not be locked away. His attitude really annoys me. :angry

Kind regards
    Ben

24. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Hi Chris,

You're probably right...I agree with you on all counts....good points...

Thomas

25. aliensarchive

aliensarchive Well-Known Member

He has shown items before, usually at his shows...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that Luton exhibition was the largest.

26. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Doesnt Oakley have a full ROTJ suit?

Id submit that is very much on topic as the pedigree is but a step away for many parts. A few modifications and what not and people immediately dismiss such things when in reality there are often excellant clues to incorporate.

27. LDR

LDR Sr Member

I'll have to check my pictures but years ago i went to an Empire Day in the UK, and they had lots of stuff on show. Don't know who owned it all but on display was the baby ewok and 4-lom head as seen in that photo above. Will see if i can dig them out, and see if i managed to take any trooper photos. maybe it was this guys stuff?

28. LDR

LDR Sr Member

Sorry no trooper. A TIE helmet, X-wing helmet, 4-lom head, taun taun horn, ewok, C3PO, and some cantina creatures.

29. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Could you share the pics you do have? :)

30. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes,yes please share. :)

31. _Lee_

I managed to find out the poster for JJ exhibtion the other year.I have taken apic of it but cant host it so if anyone wants to host it for me then please send me an email:

lee.gordon27@ntlworld.com

The poster is quiet interesting as it states that there are original props on show etc.Whats more amusing is that he didnt charge for the privlage of seeing it ;)

Lee

32. Stormtrooper

I'll host it for you mate... email sent :)

Cheers,
    John

33. _Lee_

What surprised me more about JJ doing this particular exibition is that it was in small public museum,and if i had a collection of that size/scale i would never had left it in there for a few months.I would suspect he would have had a hell of a lot of security at this venue though as it really is a tiny place in the middble of a public park.

Lee

34. Stormtrooper

Here you go.... :)

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing... still can't quite believe that it was free admission.

I was nosing around through old UseNet messages (amazing what you can turn up ;)) and came across a posting from someone who had attended the exhibit

Google Groups post about JJ Exhibit

According to the UseNet message, there was an original Stormtrooper costume at the event, but sadly doesn't specify which film it was from :(

I have NO IDEA why JJ doesn't put on some sort of semi-permanent Star Wars exhibit, as he'd make a fortune and make a lot of fans happy... maybe LFL / 20th Century Fox won't allow them to use the Star Wars name to promote such an event???

Cheers,
    John

35. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

I remember this event. He had his Falcon cockpit mock-up on display there as well along with photos of it's construction.

Hate to say it but I don't think the trooper was original :( it was one of the suits he made from his trooper costume - which I think must have been Jedi judging by the ab/cod and the lower back/backside pieces, the helmet was fibreglass too.

I remember it being very familiar as I wore one of them at one of his events a long time ago. There was a thread here at one point concerning a JJ auction where one of these suits was up for grabs.

Jeremy

36. _Lee_

As some may know JJ was the owner/partner of OFFWORLD sci fi store whom this even was organised with.I remember Jeremy Bulloch was there around 2000 doing a personal signing and they had a guy dressed in a trooper uniform.I am more or less certain that was one of the 20th century fox issues used for the OT SE release.

However,the costume that i saw at the exhibtion was stated as being original,so unless JJ was trying to pull a fast one(not that it matters with the free admission ;) )then i cant understand why he would state it being original if it wasnt.I remember the other costumes, but as usual it was always the stormtrooper that blew me away.It did look aged,but seeing as i havent started to get into costumes/props until recently then i wouldnt have noticed any difference.

I would also think that much of the historical cinematic items at this show were more or less owned by Gary Kurtz.I honestly cant see him handing over ownership to JJ,buts thats not to say that he doenst own some of the stuff.

Lee

37. xwing_5

xwing_5 New Member

Some really cool info here.

Thanks for posting...

38. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10) ANH Stunt Helmet LFL Archives
    11) ANH Hero Helmet LFL Archives

Presumably these are the one that appeared in the Holiday Special?
    (and a Burger Chef commercial, the Donny & Marie Show, etc)

39. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

You mean this one?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks wackychimp.

-Paul.

40. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

what a piece of junk. JK

looks like a mixmatch of a TK, why are some parts yellowed and old looking while some are very white? not to mention, its a ROTJ TK with grey teeth.

why did they ever go black?

grey is so much cooler looking, and it makes the spaces in between the teeth more defined. notice the PT troops had grey teeth.

41. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Hey Paul, yep that's the fella.

It's been a while and I didn't take any photos of the trooper suit at Luton but I remember thinking straight away that it matched the look of the repros JJ had made, a lot like the one in that auction above. The helmet certainly looked the same. These suits featured on an episode of Blue Peter (UK BBC kids show) when the special editions came out.

Lee, I'm pretty sure however tha JJ does indeed have a real trooper suit of some kind (he had to have something to mould from after all) I saw it at another of his events in a large display cabinet, and I think it still had the remains of paper squibs taped on it in places.

Jeremy

42. Star Wars Helmets

Thats what I heard. It was a stunt suit used for all the pyro stuff which is why Joiner thought it was Peter Diamonds ANH set. However PD said it wasnt as "his" had huge areas cut away from it to allow him to move/fall easier

Cheers

Jez

43. LDR

LDR Sr Member

Here are my pics from Empire Day a few years back. Not amazing photos, but i think its the same guy you are all talking about.

Sorry for the delay.

Chewies gun, Empire crew jacket, and Cantina Creatures:
    [​IMG]

Ewok head baby ewok and C-3P0:
    [​IMG]

C-3P0 and lightsabre:
    [​IMG]

Zuckuss, Yoda stick, Gaffi stick, Taun taun horn, Trooper shoulder, Leias gun?, Imperial gunner:
    [​IMG]

Tie and X-wing helmets
    [​IMG]

LDR

44. Fatherless One

Fatherless One Well-Known Member

Okay, I know this is WAY off topic, but in the list of original props was listed "Original Darth Vader costume from ESB".

Has anybody got pic's of this costume thay could share?

Alan.

45. LDR

LDR Sr Member

Alan,
    I didn't take photos of it, but there was a Darth Vader at the Empire Day. It was up stairs and not in a cabinet...and to my surprise no one was guarding it...a few times there was no one in the room at all with it. However this was years back and at the time all i knew was that it was Vader, no idea whether ANH, or ESB. Notice though that in the cabinets on the photos i took, alot of the stuff is on the list that was posted.

46. _Lee_

I thought the same about the Exhibtion in Luton.Some of the items were just hanging from walls etc.The main costumes were in a room that was empty most of the time.If i remember rightly the Vader was behind glass,although i cant be sure.Saying that, i was paying more attention to the stormtrooper costume :D .Every single bit of JJ's toy collection was behind secure glass though,and beleive me that is one hell of a collection.I have got to say that that exhibtion really made me want to collect Star Wars all over again and brought back many memories.

47. Fatherless One

Fatherless One Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and pic's guys :)

Alan.

48. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Anyone else have pics from the JJ archive?

Later,
    -Brandon

49. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

See page 2 here:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...ic=102740&st=20

T

50. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

hate to interrupt, but does anyone have good photos of the Davidm and brianr helmets? i remember there were some really nice closeup shots of them posted here once