And the BEST Western of all time is...

I enjoyed all the movies mentioned hard to pick a favorite.
Not exactly a western but Jeremiah Johnson is a classic.

Al

Definitely this:

YouTube - God's Gun Western Cowboy's Gunfighting Scene

I'm kidding. ^^^ One of the worst pieces of film I've ever seen.

When it comes down to it, I'd have to vote for The Good, The Bad and the Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West. Both those movies were made with a loving eye and a brilliant approach to storytelling which makes them great films, not just "cool cowboy movies".

Speaking of bad movies like the video above, I was also pretty pissed off about Navajo Joe. That movie had so much going for it to make it good, and it ended up sucking because of the directing (which was actually Sergio Leone's cousin?). Good actors, good premise, excellent music, and fantastic, unconventional themes (one of the only mid-century works that showed any respect to the Native Americans), and yet somehow, with all that, it was a terrible movie. It was a major disappointment. I think it's safe to say the drecting bug does NOT run in the Leone family. Although Morricone's score in that film remains my favorite of his (it was horribly butchered in the film itself of course).

I get a bit jaded when people talk about "westerns" all the time. I don't think that "western" is an appropriate movie genre at all, and I think it should be retired. Too late for that of course. I feel like it's cheap to take a movie and to classify it as being a certain genre based on aesthetics, especially when many of these movies strive to be something bigger and are forced to be downplayed as "westerns". For example, There Will Be Blood - an excellent drama that focuses on corruption, family stress and madness, and it's under the western tab at the movie store. And I'm pretty sure that many folks were ticked off when there wasn't any gunfighting in that film. I couldn't help but notice that someone on here posted Dances with Wolves a page or two back. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Whatever, it's just another personal thing that irritiates me about Hollywood and it's various aspects of culture.

Besides this obvious problem of classifying, I'm also not a fan of the stereotypes and innaccuracies that have developed on screen with many movies. Apart from the two films I listed above, I usually tend to like "western" movies that more historically based. Unforgiven was a good example of this. Apart from perhaps the dialougue (2010 True Grit takes the cake in that department), nearly every asepct of this movie was fairly accurate. They did a particularly good job of describing guns of the period, for instance. The discussion about the man who shot his own foot was pretty cool to me as many people don't seem to realize how unstable weapons tended to be in that time period (a cowboy would almost never carry six shots loaded at a time. Don't think I've seen that put into a movie plot yet). Open Range was good too, and the 2010 True Grit.

I don't know, all this stuff with guys wearing neatly-pressed bib shirts and buscarado holsters in duels where two men stand across from each other and see who shoots first? I find it kind of tacky, and - at the risk of sounding like a total nut - a bit offensive. It was never like that, not even close. Why make it out to be? I think the way the time period really was is cooler than anything Hollywood has shoved down our throats to date. But people have come to expect the same thing in all "western" movies, and they expect the cliche. The directors who favor history are the gamblers and the outcasts.

Don't mind my venting...I'm a film maker and a historian. The two things almost never get along. :rolleyes

On a side note, when I look at that Josey W poster, I hope to hell the Dark Tower movies look that good, a scruffy outlaw with a couple of old-fashioned hand cannons...esp since Dark Tower was King's answer to Good, Bad, Ugly mixed with LOTR. The damn star better look like Eastwood!!!

OK, back on topic...

"The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" - Clint was a favorite actor of my dad and I...it was one of the last films I got to watch with him....just the two of us.

"Once Upon a Time in the West" - Leone - enough said.

For laughs...it's hands down "My Name is Nobody"

I think that the original Lonesome Dove mini series has got to be one of the top westerns. Robert Duvall as Gus McCrae and Tommy Lee Jones as Woodrow F. Call. It doesn't get much better than that!

Randy in San Diego

Hello....Mcfly.....

The Magnificent Seven.

It took three pages to get to TM7.

You guy wouldn't even know the name Kurosawa if it weren't for TM7.

Shame on you guys.

But it was a cheap remake of a really good Samurai movie... :)

(I kid I kid)...

But seriously, I'd rather watch "Seven Samurai".

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back