And the BEST Western of all time is...

Blazing Saddles.

No- Westworld.

Okay, a serious answer?

As Solo mentioned "The Long Riders" is a pretty raw, unrelenting view of the Old West.

I don't really care for Westerns so I don't have that "one" film that stands out for me. However "Unforgiven" is definitely up there for me. I guess it would be my favourite. I liked "Tombstone" as well (but I admit I haven't watched it since it was in the theater).

EDIT-

HA! I just noticed your new avatar Jet! It had absolutely NOTHING to do with me mentioning Blazing
Saddles as a joke! :lol

Kevin

Soooo many choices...

I wouldn't want to be without any of the movies mentioned here but The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is the King for me.

The music in the "dollars" trilogy is by far the best.

"The quick and the dead" had a very neat look and story to it as well.

If you were to combine the "dollars" trilogy and "The quick and the dead" you would have the greatest western of all time.

-- Everyone here will have their own opinion, but for me it always comes back to one movie and it was the first western I ever saw on the big screen when I was a kid. I'd caught pieces of the Sunday afternoon cowboy flicks while at my grandma's -- my grandfather would sit in his lazy chair glued to the set, but it wasn't until I saw The Outlaw Josey Wales did i become a fan.

Eastwood simply kicking ass and taking names. Some of the best one liners (You gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie?) topped with those cool smooth barrel guns that sounded like cannons from hell. An old crazy indian sidekick and his habit of spitting tabacco on the forehead of the men his just killed. As Charlie Sheen would say- "What's not to love"?
wehatymyjpghtml.jpg

My grandfather and I went to see the movie three times together while in the theatre - he told me later in life it became one of his favorite movies because when he would catch it on tv it always reminded him of me when I was little. :love

So what's yours??

You are totally correct sir! Best western EVER! :)

There is no best because of all the different styles. John Ford, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films were all totally different.

One of my top favorites is McCabe & Mrs. Miller. It was different than most other westerns.

FB

Within the last few years, OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner, Robert Duval, and Albus Dumbledore. :)
This really should be on more lists, Costner's performance of a guy who is a stone cold Killer if need be, and how while it bothers him deeply, will still blow somebody's head off when it comes down to it, is one of the best of his career, and Robert Duval, gold as always.

"I'm Dying"

"Yeah and for what? More cows?"

West World and back to the future 3. My dad would vote for any of the Eastwood westerns. I do like the Shootist and rooster cogburn.

Thank you Larry :lol:lol:thumbsup

I was going to say the same thing, but my jokes don't go ever very well here.

Last edited:
"Come back, Shane!" Gods, I hated that little *******.

I gotta agree with JB, Josey Wales was THE Western for me. Unforgiven was a very close second.

Blazing Saddles.

EDIT-

HA! I just noticed your new avatar Jet! It had absolutely NOTHING to do with me mentioning Blazing
Saddles as a joke! :lol

Kevin

Never give a Saga an Even break! LOL

This is the Best Western:

66088_b1.jpg

i almost lost my tea when I saw this!!! But I'll have you know these particular Inns only show Outlaw Josey Wales on their sets.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back