Anakin ROTS Hero lightsaber references, research, images, and comparison

Something interesting that I've been thinking about for the last few days was brought up in Daniel's ROTS Obi Wan and Anakin thread

In the "This Weapon is Your Life" Webdoc for ROTS, at around 5:17 a rubber prop is shown:

View attachment 1823560View attachment 1823561

Any thoughts on this?

Not even sure if those two shots are the same prop. At first I thought it could be one of the Propstore Auctioned props:

The second shot is from the lineup of saber props presented for Lucas to inspect. So, it’s either a hero or a prototype of some sort.

here are some more auction pics..
lf (4).jpg
lf.jpg

lf (1).jpg
lf (2).jpg
lf (3).jpg

I really wish somebody would make an accurate static version of this saber. The best one so far is still MR...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the MR can't be accurate because of the clamp. I just wish that versions like the 7th chambers or the SP had the accurate black piece under the emitter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the MR can't be accurate because of the clamp. I just wish that versions like the 7th chambers or the SP had the accurate black piece under the emitter.

I think they tried to replicate it based on the Azarian more than any other prop since that prop has a polished body and a brushed clamp. But yeah, it can't be accurate in that the body is chromed and the clamp is polished aluminum. Not screen accurate I would say.

As for the black piece, if you mean the Thin-Neck, I hear Malaki Skywalker's next Aniflex rendition will include a swappable accurate thin neck emitter

I find MR's choice for a chromed body interesting.

Like for example, they made the AOTC version chromed while the real prop was polished aluminum:

View attachment 1825492
I talked to SD about this back in the early 2000s. He said it was a production choice to go with chrome parts because they were more durable. The aluminum props were too easily scratched. Can't tell you why they left the clamp on the Anakin aluminum and the emitter on OWK though...

Something important to remember:

Real-world construction does not automatically equate to onscreen/in-universe appearance. Film is about the art of illusion. Models with painted-on details. Props, costume parts, and sets painted to simulate a metal finish. And so on.

It’s entirely possibly that various sabers used in the films were made from polished aluminum so as to simulate a chromed finish when seen onscreen. Therefore, since the MR sabers were trying to replicate idealized/in-universe items, rather than warts-and-all props, the chromed finishes may have been deemed appropriate for that very reason.

I think they tried to replicate it based on the Azarian more than any other prop since that prop has a polished body and a brushed clamp. But yeah, it can't be accurate in that the body is chromed and the clamp is polished aluminum. Not screen accurate I would say.

As for the black piece, if you mean the Thin-Neck, I hear Malaki Skywalker's next Aniflex rendition will include a swappable accurate thin neck emitter
Agreed.

Do you have any info on the Malaki Skywalker version? Its been a while and I'm out of the loop.

Something important to remember:

Real-world construction does not automatically equate to onscreen/in-universe appearance. Film is about the art of illusion. Models with painted-on details. Props, costume parts, and sets painted to simulate a metal finish. And so on.

It’s entirely possibly that various sabers used in the films were made from polished aluminum so as to simulate a chromed finish when seen onscreen. Therefore, since the MR sabers were trying to replicate idealized/in-universe items, rather than warts-and-all props, the chromed finishes may have been deemed appropriate for that very reason.

I guess idealization is nice for those who prefer that over prop accurate (Sometimes I do)

But these were advertised as the most prop accurate thing you could get back then

Yes, we're doing our own version based on the Mustafar auction photos. Interchangeable between the thin neck (static mode) and a blade holder mode for 7/8" blade.
Awesome. Would it also be possible to implement the option for clamp switch activation this time around?

Awesome. Would it also be possible to implement the option for clamp switch activation this time around?
I really want to implement this. A clicky gold trigger ignition would be really cool. The only caveat would be the machined crystal chamber to go with them would rely on the top buttons.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back