Endor Helmet Hero Research Thread

Hello there…

I noticed information on this seems to be pretty scattered around and also a bit light in small details that are specific to this helmet/costume piece and figured with the potential for RS to make a release of this in the future (Video from RS here, thank you Captain Dunsel), there may be some interest in a really detailed thread.

I plan to add my extensive folder of screen grabs and point out details as time permits!

Last edited:
Main Cap:
  • First and foremost, others before me have ID’d the main cloth portion (and only found part) of this helmet to be a WW2 USAAF AN-H-15 flight cap.
  • For Luke’s, this is the 3 black button variant where the material below the snaps is synthetic black leather.
  • For Leia’s, this is the 4 black button variant where the material below the snaps is synthetic black leather.
  • The top 3 straps have been removed
  • Black foam inserted into the holes of the rubber ear cups.
Additional Cloth Portions:
  • The ribbed top portion which appears to be sewn to the AN-15-H at the front and rear.
  • Two leather “ears” single stitched around the entire perimeter, with the straight portion at the top of the “ear” connecting it to the AN-H-15.
  • A rear extension to the AN-H-15 that extends the cap further down the neck.
The “Donut”:
  • This portion of the helmet was production made (and if my memory serves me correctly) by connecting two vacuformed halves (a left and right half) with thin styrene tabs on the inside of the donut, and seams hidden on the outside.
  • The rear vents are painted in black and are not patterned into the physical shape of the “donut” at all
The Visor:
  • The way this is attached is still a bit unclear as there are conflicting arguments, as well as what is clearly seen on the RS production made “donuts”. For now, I’m going to keep this open as the hero helmets may differ slightly from what RS has.

I will be adding/editing this post soon with SEVERAL labeled photos :)

Last edited:
Main Cap pics:

Here are the listing photos of the AN-H-15 I got a while back, which is the proper variant for the Luke helmet:
IMG_2623.jpeg

Here you can clearly see the black foam inserted in the rubber ear cups:
IMG_5594.jpeg

Last edited:
The “Donut” pics:

From what I can tell so far, the “Hero” donuts (Luke and Leia’s) are off of a different buck than the Endor Commando’s, as their profile appears different to me (as well as the dents, though that may have been done post-vacuforming). I would love to hear others thoughts on this

Side Views:
IMG_2768.jpeg
IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

IMG_5600.jpeg

Front Views:
IMG_2752.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg

IMG_5603.jpeg

Rear Views (Note the painted on vents):
IMG_2769.jpeg

IMG_2770.jpeg
IMG_2765.jpeg

3/4 Views:
IMG_2762.jpeg
IMG_2761.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg

Last edited:
Psab keel one of the other major things that drives me crazy on builds is the ribbed portion on the top. There is an A-B-A-B pattern in the thickness of each rib:
IMG_2828.jpeg

I can’t quite tell if this is done with a simple foam padding stitched in, or a filler cord like this:
IMG_3157.jpeg

I tend to lean towards something along the lines of the filler cord as I imagine the foam padding route would cause the ribs to flatten/lose shape when the helmet is being worn.

I've wanted one for a long time as well.

Psab keel one of the other major things that drives me crazy on builds is the ribbed portion on the top. There is an A-B-A-B pattern in the thickness of each rib:
View attachment 1822816

I can’t quite tell if this is done with a simple foam padding stitched in, or a filler cord like this:
View attachment 1822814

I tend to lean towards something along the lines of the filler cord as I imagine the foam padding route would cause the ribs to flatten/lose shape when the helmet is being worn.

I think you're correct on the ribbing have cording underneath.

I have just added a few more references photos (3 more side views at the end, and one close to head on front view of Luke).

Also, here are a few measurements of button snaps, as this is the only portion of the AN-H-15 I feel should be fairly consistent across sizes and such. I have included arrows pointing at the measurement to help combat lens parallax:

IMG_5608.jpeg
IMG_5609.jpeg
IMG_5610.jpeg

I think it needs to be said they have GREAT weathering on the donuts. The dents and slashes, the “silver layer” whether that’s painted over the green or under it, it’s very convincing. I would never think they were vacuformed

I think it needs to be said they have GREAT weathering on the donuts. The dents and slashes, the “silver layer” whether that’s painted over the green or under it, it’s very convincing. I would never think they were vacuformed
Totally agree. Also the subtle splotches of a different shade(s) of green. Honestly can only really catch it in a few photos

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back