Amazon's Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Re: Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Based on what they are reporting they cannot do a retelling Lord of The Rings or the Hobbit per the restrictions, so they are instead doing Middle Earth equivalent of "Rogue One: A Star Wars story"

I wonder if they can include characters like Aragorn, Gandalf or Frodo or if they will have to leave them out

What about Sauron or Galadriel etc...

Based on what they are reporting they cannot do a retelling Lord of The Rings or the Hobbit per the restrictions, so they are instead doing Middle Earth equivalent of "Rogue One: A Star Wars story"

I wonder if they can include characters like Aragorn, Gandalf or Frodo or if they will have to leave them out

What about Sauron or Galadriel etc...

This is, in my opinion, the only way for this to be successful. Middle Earth is such a huge, huge realm that there are stories that weren't even touched on in any of the films...let alone all new, completely original tales set in Middle Earth.

At at one point in time I was fairly well versed in all things Tolkien, including several readings of "The Silmarillion." It's been years so much of it I have forgotten, but one thing that always stood out to me was how fully fleshed out everything was. I came to believe that Tolkien believed Middle Earth was real, and believed he had been there.

Now that I'm learning more about this project, and that it won't simply be a retelling of the films, I'm more interested in it for sure.

And now it's come out Christopher Tolkien has resigned as officer from the Tolkien Estate back in August so it's very possible that Silmarillion and everything else may all be on the table for series material. There's going to be a huge amount of jockeying over the next few years for rights to Tolkien's body of work.

Frankly I'd love to see a "Tales of middle Earth" Anthology Series, structured as various stories told over several episodes. Since there's no single central character in Silmarillion it would be very difficult to make Silmarillion a coherent, dramatic movie the public would want to watch. Well, unless we make Melkor the star...which would make it very bizarre.

But miniseries for the Creation of Arda, miniseries on Battle of Unnumbered Tears, a Miniseries on Hurin etc. I think would work perfectly.

My personal fave would be a "Rise and Fall of Numenor"" miniseries. Lots of good, juicy family drama, conflict, war, Sauron as a villain, visiting Elves, the Creation of the rings, Numenor helping then conquering parts of ME, and finally ending with them challenging Aman ("trapped under falling hills") and a Michael Bay-sian apocalyptic destruction of the whole island. Lots of dramatic stuff.

The Sequel Miniseries would be Elendil et al coming to ME, setting up Gondor and Arnor, the return of Sauron the Last Alliance and the ending of the 2nd age.

For chrissake come up with something new! This material has been done to death.

There's so much good stuff that never will be touched because the same movies are being done over and over. Idiocy.

The thing about a lot of the other related Tolkein works, especially the Silmarillion, is that they are very dry histories, not stories. They're summaries and family timelines, not prose.

So it'll be hard for the screenwriters to capture tone and nuance that isn't there to begin with. They'll have to come up with their own. Which could make the show Fan Fiction In Middle Earth rather than something that feels like J.R.R..

This will not be a retelling of the LOTR as seen in the films. Here's the quote from the article that makes me excited.

But there’s a catch, creatively speaking: The series will explore storylines set before the events in the first LOTR novel, The Fellowship of the Ring. In other words: The war to destroy the One Ring as chronicled in Peter Jackson’s Oscar-winning trilogy of films will not be told in the TV version. So this story is either set before The Hobbit or in between The Hobbit and LOTR.

Last edited by a moderator:

https://i.imgur.com/oAE6aWL.gif
No, but seriously. I reread the books again not so long ago, which prompted me to re-watch the movies, extended editions of course, and while I love them to death, there is room for a different, maybe closer to the books adaptation.
Starting with the characters... Very torn on this, but on the off chance it gets a GoT like budget, a terrific production designer to bring Middle Earth back to life with a fresh take, solid writing and good blend of real practical effects mixed with CGI, only when necessary, I'm game. And they'll need one hell of a composer too, because that was all Jackson and Shore, no help from the books there.

Occasionally, it is like you reach into my head and just start typing.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

What are you trying to say? ;)

It's not a reboot either. Did you read the thread at all?

It's going to be new stories that have never been on screen before.

Honestly, you have nothing better to do than argue semantics with me?

I merely meant that they are revisiting the Tolkien universe because the industry as a whole seems to be running short on their own ideas, therefore looking backwards towards untold stories of a previously visited universe.

If you’re offended by my poor choice of words then for that I am sorry; I’ll try much harder in the future. That said I genuinely have no interest in talking to you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly, you have nothing better to do than argue semantics with me?

I merely meant that they are revisiting the Tolkien universe because the industry as a whole seems to be running short on their own ideas, therefore looking backwards towards untold stories of a previously visited universe.

If you’re offended by my poor choice of words then for that I am sorry; I’ll try much harder in the future. That said I genuinely have no interest in talking to you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No reason to get all feisty.

Your posts made it seem as if you hadn't read the thread at all...and remake and reboot are both poor ways to describe this project, in light of the information that has surfaced.

No worries on you having no interest in talking to me again, either, as based on your attitude in this post I'm quoting, that feeling is completely mutual. Feel free to add me to your ignore list.

Cheers!

I think if they pull a Rogue One but go even further from the main characters' storyline (the ring and all that) there could be some fun stories to see.

I only saw the 2001–2003 LOTR movies, though.

And I have to say, the fellow who posted a gif of Michael Shannon's Zod saying, "Heresy" was delightfully clever.

I was listening to a couple of TV critics talking about the scope of this deal and it is just staggering! With that much money at stake I wonder if the executives can keep their hands off enough to deliver a series that is an epic to stand on its own without constantly going back to the well that has been thoroughly emptied by the six previous movies. I like the reference to Rogue One. It has enough nods to the OT but can stand on its own. Now space that same amount of nods over an entire season and that would be more than enough to keep the balance and let the story find its own legs.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back