Am I the only one that thinks Return of the Jedi is a turkey?

The problem with ROTJ was the budget...if Lucas had more $ it would have been wookies not Ewoks hence why ROTS had wookies it was Lucas' way of saying this is what I really wanted at the end of ROTJ

It's a weird movie. Luke turns up all badass but doesn't seem to realise that Jedi mindtricks won't work on Jabba so is immediately deflated. This is the second in a series of horrible plans that backfire or are incredibly ill thought through. Meanwhile, Harrison Ford is wandering round the forest looking like someone who's recovering from sedation dentistry and the Jedi ghosts come across incredibly shifty. No wonder the emperor is having so much fun.

David

The problem with ROTJ was the budget...if Lucas had more $ it would have been wookies not Ewoks hence why ROTS had wookies it was Lucas' way of saying this is what I really wanted at the end of ROTJ

The biggest problem was Lucas dumping Gary Kurtz so he was surrounded by yes men from then on.

Not exactly. The original battle in the first movie had wookies, but he couldn't afford it. So he kept one wookie and made him Han's co-pilot. For ROTJ he had the money for the big battle but he had already established wookies as a technological species, so he had to make a different race of primitives.

ROTJ is my favorite SW film by far.

My fondess is shaped mostly by my childhoos memories. It was the film that really made me fall in love with creature effects.

As a film, to me it is the most exciting, and quite dark which I like.

All we need to do is take ther stupid ewoks out... ;)

weequay

Lucas described the wookie/ewok thing in From Star Wars To Jedi, a documentary from '83. Wookies were conceived as primitives, but that was changed in the final script for ANH. Chewbacca was seen piloting a ship and using a blaster, so wookies are not a primitive race. The ewoks were created to continue with the "primitives vs empire" theme.

The wookies seen in ROTS were not the "stone knives and bearskins" primitives that the ewoks were.

At the time,I think what really killed it for me were the bloody Ewoks and G.L's odd affection or possible fettish to "little people" and furry/fuzzy things.Just about every film out there has some pretty distasteful flaws(even the Oscar winners),but what's worse is G.L's constant need to continue F*&%!?*^%!$ing with the Star Wars films and adding more and more CG footage that really isn't necessary, nor is it adding anything to the film to make it better.

Still, the ending is brilliant though. The way Lucas puts Skywalker in an impossible situation then resolves it without a cop-out is fantastic.

I see what your saying but remember native Americans learned to use shotguns and rifles they were considered primitive in history wookies used blasters yes, but they lived in huts and had a form of patriarchy consider the Yautjahs (The Predator) they had technologically advanced weapons and piloted ships yet they were still considered primitive race.

I never could really wrap my head around the original idea of wookie's doing the fighting in the original SW. I've read about it many many times over the years and even heard GL talk about it. But the idea put forth is always something like 'wookies are trained to fly the ships and they do the battle" WTF? Do the rebels just train some primitives to do their fighting for them? So wookies are just disposable creatures? The alliance was just going to let all these wookies get killed just so they (the alliance) wouldn't have to fight? How cowardly can you be?.....Never got it..

I think the wording was a bit off here. Allow me to translate, Ewoks suck! Only care bares have fighting teddy bears. On the other hand, Princess Leia in slave costume, yeah baby!

That better?

...who was that "There is another" hope that Yoda was referring to? It can't be Leia. All she did was become a slave to Jabba in ROTJ. Ooo. What if Luke did have a sister but it wasn't Leia? That would be my approach.

it was vader. that was the plan. the only hope for destroying the emperor was to turn anakin back. the "other" hope was (supposed to be) anakin himself.

yoda KNEW that ONLY anakin could destroy the emperor. he taught luke ONLY enough to get the emperor's attention, from across the galaxy. then it was "..oops. no more training do you require" ; he taught luke ONLY enough to get himself killed. Yoda knew all along: it was all about vader the whole time: the entire saga is "the tragedy of darth vader" NOT 'the adventures of Luke Skywalker.'

THIS is what the emperor means when he says "Young Fool. only now, at the end, do you understand." (and luke looks to Vader, for Help -- and HE KNOWS: it was ALL about vader. the whole time).

--> Yoda KNEw that vader would NOT stand idly by and watch Padme's Love Child getting brutally murdered by Sith Lightning. luke was MEANT to lose the fight. Yoda threw Luke under a bus! Yoda sent an UN(der)Trained whelp into the lion's den, JUST to get under anakin's skin!

((".. the younglings in the temple, you killed. Them Apples, how do you like? eh, hmm? heh heh heh.."))

Yoda sent luke to die. hoping , against all hope, that THIS would turn anakin back. (!)

when yoda says "no. there is another (hope)" , he is talking about Vader Himself.
(the leia/sister.. thing, was just plain stupid).

it was vader. that was the plan. the only hope for destroying the emperor was to turn anakin back. the "other" hope was (supposed to be) anakin himself.

yoda KNEW that ONLY anakin could destroy the emperor. he taught luke ONLY enough to get the emperor's attention, from across the galaxy. then it was "..oops. no more training do you require" ; he taught luke ONLY enough to get himself killed. Yoda knew all along: it was all about vader the whole time: the entire saga is "the tragedy of darth vader" NOT 'the adventures of Luke Skywalker.'

THIS is what the emperor means when he says "Young Fool. only now, at the end, do you understand." (and luke looks to Vader, for Help -- and HE KNOWS: it was ALL about vader. the whole time).

--> Yoda KNEw that vader would NOT stand idly by and watch Padme's Love Child getting brutally murdered by Sith Lightning. luke was MEANT to lose the fight. Yoda threw Luke under a bus! Yoda sent an UN(der)Trained whelp into the lion's den, JUST to get under anakin's skin!

((".. the younglings in the temple, you killed. Them Apples, how do you like? eh, hmm? heh heh heh.."))

Yoda sent luke to die. hoping , against all hope, that THIS would turn anakin back. (!)

when yoda says "no. there is another (hope)" , he is talking about Vader Himself.
(the leia/sister.. thing, was just plain stupid).

Nice! That theory does add alot of meaning to what Yoda and the Emperor does and say. :thumbsup

So its basically just a chess game between Yoda and Palpatine, Luke is just a chess pawn. Yoda just used the "Sure Luke you will become a jedi, AFTER you confront Vader" to push Lukes right buttons.

Damn, Yoda is no better then Palpatine, manupelative basterd!:lol

Yoda ESB: Don't confront Vader, you're not ready.
Yoda ROTJ: You're almost ready, you just need to confront Vader and then you're set.

Call him on it, Luke. Call him on it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back