Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

That’s a good point. The show really did have fantastic props. IMO, the rifle didn’t quite fit the design aesthetic that evolved after the pilots, but it’s beautifully made. The last reasonably well vetted images of the rifle that were released show it in nice condition. No odd paint blobs…

Yes, of course the show’s aesthetic was still in flux during the pilots, and also for a while after (I’d argue that the look of the show, both in terms of sets/props and cinematography/lighting really started to gel around “The Naked Time” or so). It would seem that the rifle was abandoned in favor of the also-abandoned “phaser 3”, with extra parts to be added to the phaser 2 to turn it into a rifle.

I see what's going on. If you can say that a mere HAND PHASER got such a high price, then that would justify a larger, full rifle getting much greater money than the hand phaser. This was planned.
I was just thinking about that. The rifle is such an oddball prop that I’m not sure how much it’s effected by the overall Star Trek prop market. It’s iconic, in it’s way… but not really emblematic of the show.

Edit: Although, that high sale price might have enticed the owner to sell with HA.

I was just thinking about that. The rifle is such an oddball prop that I’m not sure how much it’s effected by the overall Star Trek prop market. It’s iconic, in it’s way… but not really emblematic of the show.

Edit: Although, that high sale price might have enticed the owner to sell with HA.

Right, by itself, the rifle might not have done as well as following the phaser. The phaser price could enhance the rifle price.

I agree this is Ironic timing. Right after the last auction sets the precedence for Star Trek prices. That video about video games has shown they do this game all in an attempt to manipulate future items. And they suddenly have this rifle for auction mere days after the maker passes away? You know they are trying to capitalize on so many things right now.

If this is indeed the real rifle, then okay, sure, great. Sell it for a ton of money. But the sale of the forged phaser has set a dangerous precedent. How long until another one comes out of the woodwork? Maybe this time they’ll try to replicate one of the three lost, screenmatched heroes, rather than a mythical “additional” prop.

At least this one is a genuine prop. I would like to see GOOD bidding by someone that WANTS to own this. Not someone that's just buying it to sell at a higher price later. That's my desire for this item.

If HA had presented their phaser in the same way the rifle was in ‘13, I think this thread would be much different. As in: not exist in the form it has taken on.

And perhaps if the phaser was actually real, and hadn’t been pushed through to an expensive sale by falsehoods and intimidation, then everyone would be happy.

Those corrupt and opportunistic individuals who engineered this fraud may now have fat wallets—and perhaps even the delusionally-clear consciences of the greedy and the sociopathic—but karma finds a way to balance the scales.

And perhaps if the phaser was actually real, and hadn’t been pushed through to an expensive sale by falsehoods and intimidation, then everyone would be happy.

Those corrupt and opportunistic individuals who engineered this fraud may now have fat wallets—and perhaps even the delusionally-clear consciences of the greedy and the sociopathic—but karma finds a way to balance the scales.
The little auction house that cried phaser... a cautionary tale.

I agree this is Ironic timing. Right after the last auction sets the precedence for Star Trek prices. That video about video games has shown they do this game all in an attempt to manipulate future items. And they suddenly have this rifle for auction mere days after the maker passes away? You know they are trying to capitalize on so many things right now.

I think you are spot on!
After watching the video about how Heritage Auctions artificially inflated the video game market by pulling cartridges out of their own collections and then "selling" them back to themselves for ridiculous prices, this sounds like the exact same thing. HA "sells" a questionable phaser (likely to a shill) for a ridiculous amount of money, and then SURPRISE!!! a month later they trot out a legitimate item to sell, riding the artificial wave of increased value that was boosted by the phaser "sale".

HA may not have actually made any money on the phaser sale, because I suspect they bought it themselves; but if they successfully manipulated the market, they may reap a big payday if unknowing buyers bid big for the rifle based on phaser speculation.

I think you are spot on!
After watching the video about how Heritage Auctions artificially inflated the video game market by pulling cartridges out of their own collections and then "selling" them back to themselves for ridiculous prices, this sounds like the exact same thing. HA "sells" a questionable phaser (likely to a shill) for a ridiculous amount of money, and then SURPRISE!!! a month later they trot out a legitimate item to sell, riding the artificial wave of increased value that was boosted by the phaser "sale".

HA may not have actually made any money on the phaser sale, because I suspect they bought it themselves; but if they successfully manipulated the market, they may reap a big payday if unknowing buyers bid big for the rifle based on phaser speculation.

Sadly, if (as well it might) they bought the phaser themselves to increase the market price and awareness, then they would also had to have been monitoring Reuben Klamer's health to know that he was old and ill.... :eek: :(

...and therefore that the phaser rifle might be available soon. I would not be saying this, if HA wasn't known to have manipulated the market in the past.

Sadly, if (as well it might) they bought the phaser themselves to increase the market price and awareness, then they would also had to have been monitoring Reuben Klamer's health to know that he was old and ill.... :eek: :(

...and therefore that the phaser rifle might be available soon. I would not be saying this, if HA wasn't known to have manipulated the market in the past.
I think it's more likely that the sale of the phaser generated buzz that attracted Klamer's estate. A side benefit of HA's scheme is that real sellers will seek them out.

I think it's more likely that the sale of the phaser generated buzz that attracted Klamer's estate. A side benefit of HA's scheme is that real sellers will seek them out.
Klamer sold the phaser rifle a few years ago. Please see the link below:

This upcoming sale would be a sale by the second owner (current owner is “The Azarian Collection”).

Klamer sold the phaser rifle a few years ago. Please see the link below:

This upcoming sale would be a sale by the second owner (current owner is “The Azarian Collection”).
Yeah, my mistake--the 2013 sale to a "major collector". But anyway, this auction is probably a side benefit of the sketchy HA sale, not a plan hatched to specifically capitalize on the death of Klamer.

Yeah, my mistake--the 2013 sale to a "major collector". But anyway, this auction is probably a side benefit of the sketchy HA sale, not a plan hatched to specifically capitalize on the death of Klamer.
Yeah, that sounds more reasonable. That the second auction was planned before the phaser auction took place. I wonder if we would find “The Azarian Collection” has a quantity of co-owners, and there may be overlap with people associated with HA?
(this is a question, not a statement)

Yeah, that sounds more reasonable. That the second auction was planned before the phaser auction took place. I wonder if we would find “The Azarian Collection” has a quantity of co-owners, and there may be overlap with people associated with HA?
(this is a question, not a statement)
It’s probably a group of investors guided/managed by an “expert”. This is pretty common in the art world. Best case, they allow their stuff to be exhibited. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there is overlap between HA and many such groups. There shouldn’t be, but it’s probably not actually illegal. In the art world, pieces sometimes “change hands” in sales that are meant to set the value of the piece—ALLEGEDLY.
Sorry that this is on Facebook. It's the Azarian collection page.

<CLICK THIS LINK> Facebook Azarian Collection
Seems like a collector(s) that appreciates the collection.

It’s probably a group of investors guided/managed by an “expert”. This is pretty common in the art world. Best case, they allow their stuff to be exhibited. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there is overlap between HA and many such groups. There shouldn’t be, but it’s probably not actually illegal. In the art world, pieces sometimes “change hands” in sales that are meant to set the value of the piece—ALLEGEDLY.

Seems like a collector(s) that appreciates the collection.

Yes, but it's such an extensive collection of expensive pieces, that I wouldn't be surprised if there were members other than Mr. Azarian. And in the normal course of events, someone could have told HA that the rifle would come up for sale in November. And if, HA then says, "hey, why don't we auction the hand phaser before the rifle phaser comes up in November...." then this is really just good strategy.

Timing is everything, and so, potentially might not be against the law.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back