Aliens M577APC Full size build discussion thread

I'd be willing to pay you for them. Staples told me thier HP 36" wide format printer is also a scanner, and will scan any length document. So Office Max or Staples, maybe Kinko's depending on where you live.

found them....
AcqmRyB.jpg

DDDtbOw.jpg

ac5Pcqx.jpg

Ok, nice collector's item you have there. From your close-up pic i can see those would be fairly useless to us since we're not adding a metal skin to an aircraft-towing vehicle.

We'll just create our own builder's plans as we go along. Plenty of screenshots and APC models out in the world to reference.

Neat to see "As per director's request a wash of silverbase - top coat of green, then to appear - rubbing off splashes - allowing silver to show through, as if vehicle has seen a certain amount of action" and "Production - ALIENS Art Department APC Exterior Layout 20-8-85" (Brits put day before month)

The DOD coversheet is fantasy since it references the 'Colonial Marines' as an existing force these papers could be turned over to "If found". And the header states "USCM Equipment Support Publication". Where'd you get that, from the tech manual?

But thank you for showing those to us all. Cheers!

Last edited:
My current design has it at 12' wide, 32' long, height unknown. I have designed a swing-arm suspension that preserves the movie interior and exterior while allowing for suspension travel, 4-wheel-drive and 4-wheel steering. Splits in half down the middle, lengthwise, for transportation to and from events. 8-cylinder diesel engine under the front turret feeding an automatic transmission, with a semi differential/ axle just behind the front wheels, which connect to the hubs through the 'swing-arms' which house a chain-drive. Driveshaft goes back to the rear axle just in front of the rear tires, feeding the rear swing-arms. Double coilovers allowing for suspension dampening with hydraulic rams to change the ride height.

My intention is to build a 1/4 scale model, 36" wide x 8' long, with a brushless electric motor. This will showcase the drivetrain, suspension, steering, and separation mechanism and serve as a prototype for the full-scale build. I'll start on it as soon as i get my truck engine rebuilt. Just started tearing it down this afternoon, had to rebuild the engine stand first. Parts are all in, just need to turn wrenches.

My current design has it at 12' wide, 32' long, height unknown. I have designed a swing-arm suspension that preserves the movie interior and exterior while allowing for suspension travel, 4-wheel-drive and 4-wheel steering. Splits in half down the middle, lengthwise, for transportation to and from events. 8-cylinder diesel engine under the front turret feeding an automatic transmission, with a semi differential/ axle just behind the front wheels, which connect to the hubs through the 'swing-arms' which house a chain-drive. Driveshaft goes back to the rear axle just in front of the rear tires, feeding the rear swing-arms. Double coilovers allowing for suspension dampening with hydraulic rams to change the ride height.

My intention is to build a 1/4 scale model, 36" wide x 8' long, with a brushless electric motor. This will showcase the drivetrain, suspension, steering, and separation mechanism and serve as a prototype for the full-scale build. I'll start on it as soon as i get my truck engine rebuilt. Just started tearing it down this afternoon, had to rebuild the engine stand first. Parts are all in, just need to turn wrenches.

There is a saying on the RPF, pic's or it didn't happen :D

What are you thinking of using for the tires? They are such a big part of the look of the vehicle, and it seems like they could be a major factor in determining what size the overall build gets scaled to.

What are you thinking of using for the tires? They are such a big part of the look of the vehicle, and it seems like they could be a major factor in determining what size the overall build gets scaled to.
I haven't actually gone to a tractor dealer yet, as money has been tight. Since i'm not buying anything immediately, and i hate having people think i'm wasting their time, i want to give the person who helps me $40 or so for their time. Showing up with blueprints in hand should buy me a little respect. I have a sign company and a 24"-wide pen plotter so that will be easy.

But the tires scale up to 72" tall, 20" wide...some kind of tractor tire, preferably with a 'turf' tread instead of those big lugs they use in the fields. Perhaps a field tire that is almost worn out, with appropriately-shaped tread blocks bolted/vucanized on, maybe with a tube inside. I dunno yet. Rims can be built if nothing proper exists. Those wheel covers will be easy.

FYI, No, the build money isn't here yet, but will be soon, so i'm just jumping into it. I told Jon Kelley if the money deal doesn't work out soon enough, i'll sell my John Deere tractor to fund the build. So one way or another...

Last edited:
As a small historical side-note I own the original blueprint copy of the APC that I obtained from the person who built the model version. Back in the 1990s I sold a few copies of it, but the one you have doesn't appear to be one of those; I didn't include the 'notes' sheet with it.

Harry

Here is the rough sketch i did on the back of a placemat at Steak n Shake the other night. The swing-arms have two double-sprockets inside, which transfer power via double-roller chain at a 2:1 ratio. Since the tires are 72" diameter, they ought to cover the same ground as a 35" tire even though they are turning at half the revolutions.
I have it all figured out, bearings/spindles/sprockets/axle shafts/hubs/oil seals...this is just what i have drawn so far.
There will be steering knuckles mouted between the tires and swing-arms, which will themselves be mounted on hubs rotating on spindles mounted to the outside of the swing-arms. The coil suspension will mount to those hubs and allow suspension travel while keeping the steering knuckles upright.
The swing-arm design is the only way i can see to have good suspension travel while preserving the movie interior.
I'll draft it out better in the next couple of days so it isn't so confusing.

20190526_002506.jpg

A diesel v8 driving via a semi locked diff onto chains and then turning 72" wheels? Have you done any math on that? I donno man...

It's pretty simple 'math'. Think of a 4x4 Chevy Suburban turning 35" tires. No biggie, right? The 2:1 chain-drive in the swing arms reduces the speed of the wheels by 1/2 but doubles the torque. Then since the 72" tires are twice the circumfrence of 35" tires, you're back to the original gear ratio. Other than the extra weight of the swing-arms and those big tires, it's just a really heavy Suburban. And a really heavy Suburban with a diesel engine will drive about the same as an unloaded Suburban...lol. 2" aluminum tubing 'dragster-style' chassis/cage with laminate armor overlay, drivetrain in the floor.

Open differentials because with the hydraulic steering i've figured out a way to make it do a 'zero' turn.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not? If your drawing was to scale then you would see the angle your chain drive needs to sit at to maintain the rest of the drive train below the interior floor is incredibly steep. So much so that the bump steer would be unmanageable. Also you have no steering on the front wheels at all other than bump steer. What type of chain are you thinking about using? I would have thought something strong enough to manage all the torque would be as if not more expencive than all your tires put together. Also, if you do it full size, where are you going to drive it? You mention building it so it comes apart? That in it's self is quite a feat man. I love you enthusiam but no, it really is not just a really heavy suburban. Like I said, I'm not sure if you are having a laugh or not so no offence either way intended by me. If not good luck man. Please post pics. Personally, I think someone here nailed it with building it electric.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back