ALIENS “functional hero” aluminum M40 Grenades

Dean O

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am posting a limited run, that could potentially turn into an unlimited run, of Aliens M40 “functional” grenades with spring loaded plunger and removable plastic cap. Based on this original prop
IMG_3230.jpegIMG_3231.jpegIMG_3234.jpegIMG_3233.jpeg

This is my first RPF run in many years, so to many, if not most, I am an unfamiliar face. I joined the RPF in the late ‘90s early ‘00s but fell out of the hobby for many years. In 2022, I completed my long term Pulse Rifle project and decided I wanted better M40 grenades and box to go with it. So I revisited the first prop projects I did when I joined the RPF. There is much better reference of the grenade available now than back then, so I wanted to make something as close to the screen used props as I could. You can check out my build log here, and I am slowly getting the point of completing my grenade box.

My biggest gripe with the replicas I made previously, is that the main body was machined in multiple parts. While pictures, of an original, show no seam around the top, to hold the button in place. I redesigned how I made this part so that the main body is machined from a single piece of aluminum. A steel sleeve is pressed in the top, holding the button and spring, making a seamless M40.

The other tough detail to tackle was the knurling on the top of the button. There is no easy way to machine knurling on a flat surface, so I had to replicate this by hand using a gunsmith’s checkering file. After trying a few different sizes of file, I believe I found the correct tooth count. I am pleased with how these turned out.

IMG_2228.jpegIMG_2229.jpegIMG_2239.jpeg
IMG_2237.jpegIMG_2236.jpegIMG_2235.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering, these will cycle through a 12ga. If you have a replica Pulse Rifle capable, you can load these up. The disclaimer is that they will come out of the other side quite scuffed and scratched up!

These are machined by me, in my home shop. I made videos throughout the process and posted it to YouTube. I’ve had many people over the years tell me they would love to see the process of making my replicas. I hope you’ll check it out.

I’ve always had the philosophy that you don’t sell what you don’t have. So, I have 40 grenades completed and ready to ship. If there is enough interest in these I will make more and turn this into an unlimited run.
IMG_2224.jpegIMG_2210.jpegIMG_2220.jpeg
I tried to keep costs down, these are more labor intensive than the more simple versions I made before. Knurling by hand and revision to the main body definitely added to the time.

Pricing is $45.00 each, plus $6.50 shipping via USPS Ground Advantage, in the U.S. For international orders PM me for a shipping quote before sending payment. I will combine shipping if you order more than one. The box should accommodate 3-4, or more, with packing materials easily.

Payment can be sent via PayPal to: fdoveraker@gmail.com Please include your RPF name in the PayPal payment to help me keep track of whose items I have shipped.

Thanks!

Edited to add interest list for the future run.

Interest list:
Carrett- qty 3
ed-209 qty 1 PAID SHIPPED
Patches qty 1 PAID-SHIPPED
Shadoweclipse13 qty 1 PAID-SHIPPED
Jediwannabe qty 1 PAID-SHIPPED
Xhiwar qty 2 PAID-SHIPPED
VinXero qty 1 PAID-SHIPPED
Sahare Studios qty 2 PAID-SHIPPED
Gojira61 qty 2 PAID-SHIPPED
Bacta qty 1 PAID-SHIPPED
Treeboar qty 4 PAID-SHIPPED
——————————

vectorzero qty 4
Palantirion qty 1

Last edited:
Update: (edit) 9 grenades left.

I wanted to start a list to see how many might be interested once these run out. I can start planning another run if enough want them. Just post how many you'd be interested in. No obligation for purchase, I just want to get a rough estimate.

Last edited:
Received my two today. They look fantastic. From the brass firing pin to the knurling on the priming button, they're amazing. The button is spring-loaded and depresses, the cap is removable and fits snugly. The finish is lovely, the details are great. Nice heft and feel.
They came well-padded, wrapped and protected.
These will look lovely next to my repainted NERF pulse rifle, and Hollywood Collectables motion tracker. Will make a nice little Aliens display!!
Big thanks to Dean O
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

(Other props are in storage due to moving house so these will stay out on my desk for a bit)

Glad you liked it. I’m trying to make a habit of recording the process more when I make things.

Hey there, sorry I did not update the thread after the last purchase. I do have two left if you are interested in those. If you would rather wait to purchase three, I do plan to make more soon.

Hey there, sorry I did not update the thread after the last purchase. I do have two left if you are interested in those. If you would rather wait to purchase three, I do plan to make more soon.
I'll purchase the two. I ultimately want a set of four so I'll get two more when you make more.

All 40 are sold and shipped. I will be making more soon, if you’d like some let me know how many you’ll be interested in and that will help me decode how many to make this time. No obligation or money is needed upfront.

Edit: Interest list moved to first post

Last edited:
I have several versions others have made throughout the years but, after seeing your video I have convinced myself that I need one of these (Hell, I need 20 of these but I'll start slow for now)
Spectacular job, Dean O. Put me down for one when they become available. --Ed
ed-209 Qty 1

I have several versions others have made throughout the years but, after seeing your video I have convinced myself that I need one of these (Hell, I need 20 of these but I'll start slow for now)
Spectacular job, Dean O. Put me down for one when they become available. --Ed
ed-209 Qty 1
Great, added you to the list. I’ll update and be in touch when I get more made.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back