M40 grenade

Dean O

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’ve decided to revisit one of the first prop projects I did when I joined the RPF in the late 90’s early 00’s When I made my first M40 grenade the dimensions were way off but after working with Steve from SD Studios I ended up with a pretty presentable replica.

This time I’d like to make it as accurate to the movie prop as I can. I made my “functional” versions before with a body, plunger button, and housing pressed into the body that captured the button and spring. Looking at the pictures of the real prop it’s pretty clear there is no seam at the end around the button so it must be a solid piece. The button/spring will be held in place with a sleeve pressed into the front of the body. Also, the cuts at the end, by the button, look like they should be machined with the same radius cutter used for the grooves in the main body, rather than flat. The button will be much larger and I’d also like to add the diamond knurling on the end. It’s easy enough to add the knurling on a 3d printed model but haven’t figured the best way to do it in aluminum yet.

I drew up a few models in CAD and have printed a few test models on my resin printer.
IMG_1486.jpegIMG_1480.jpegIMG_0843.pngIMG_1483.jpegIMG_1207.jpegIMG_1495.jpegIMG_0844.pngIMG_1482.jpegIMG_1213.jpeg

I would like to get you guys opinion in the proper size cap. I think that the capo should be 5/8” and this is what I used when i made then before. I see that others have used an 11/16” cap, which to me looks too large. Based on my CAD drawing it appears that I have the 5/8” dimension correct but which looks more correct?

IMG_1150.jpegIMG_1153.jpegIMG_1157.jpeg

BTW, here are some pics of the grenades I made WAY back when. Left to right: my first M40 with really bad dimensions, first “functional button” version using better dimensions. Third is the M51 based on the Pulse Rifle manual by Derrick Baena, and last a solid type M38.
IMG_1138.jpegIMG_1139.jpeg

Here are more pics of the latest 3d printed prototype.
IMG_0846.pngIMG_1215.jpegIMG_1466.jpegIMG_1201.jpegIMG_0845.pngIMG_1204.jpegIMG_1216.jpegIMG_1197.jpegIMG_1218.jpegIMG_1196.jpeg

I wanted to post my progress on this. I finished the first aluminum prototype today.

After testing a few different methods, I decided the best way to add the diamond knurling on the end of the button was with a checkering file. I cut the grooves with the file by hand then turn the part 30 degrees in the vise and cut a second set of grooves. The knurling on this first one is too coarse, but I’ve ordered a file with fine grooves so the next one should be just right.

I also plan to adjust the main body slightly, the second groove at the top of the part was cut a little too deep. For the next one I will make it a bit more shallow.

I did not replicate the spiral machining marks on the back because I think it looks pretty bad. It is a side effect of cutting the part off too fast in the lathe. Anyone have opinions on that? Would it look better made the way the original was made, or like I’ve done with a smooth cut?
IMG_1937.jpegIMG_1938.jpegIMG_1939.jpegIMG_1940.jpegIMG_1941.jpegIMG_1942.jpegIMG_1943.jpeg

These look awesome! I’m a fan of the smooth look you have there.

You may find that link helpful. I’ve used this method twice for another project.

I have plans to machine my own but if you ever do a run of these I’d love to add a couple of yours to my shelf.

Edit: So the link is broken but if you go to YouTube and look up “How to face knurling on a lathe” by Swap Lamp. It’s in Japanese but I imagine you’ll understand the method.

Thanks for the link, I actually watched a few of his videos last week. I have the tools needed to do his setup, I’d need to make the holding jigs to go in the tool holder and chuck. My milling machine is out of commission right now though so the checkering file seemed the best alternative. Amazon just delivered a 40 TPI file this evening so I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

That was me! It would have been a LONG time ago, like early ‘00s. I did the M40, M38, and M51A. Engraved the “stamp” on the end with my CNC. I still have two of them but unfortunately I didn’t keep an M40 variant.
IMG_1139.jpeg

I was anxious to try out the new checkering file this morning. I thought I had counted wrong, it did not seem possible that the knurling was this fine. It looks correct though, if you count the lines on the button they almost match perfectly. (roughly 16)

I need to do a slightly heavier champhor on the end, but I’m quite pleased with the result!
Image.jpegIMG_1991.jpegIMG_1970.jpegIMG_2022.jpeg

That was me! It would have been a LONG time ago, like early ‘00s. I did the M40, M38, and M51A. Engraved the “stamp” on the end with my CNC. I still have two of them but unfortunately I didn’t keep an M40 variant.
View attachment 1774074

I was anxious to try out the new checkering file this morning. I thought I had counted wrong, it did not seem possible that the knurling was this fine. It looks correct though, if you count the lines on the button they almost match perfectly. (roughly 16)

I need to do a slightly heavier champhor on the end, but I’m quite pleased with the result!
View attachment 1774075View attachment 1774076View attachment 1774077View attachment 1774078
Thats killer bro . Love to have a few of them. Aliens replica nostalgia right there lol . Always wondered who made them ! lol

Nice. I have a few from Mike's Machining. He just made aluminum caps for his. Do you offer plastic caps or know a source?

Last edited:
I realized that I never posted a picture of the revised end of the grenade. I felt the second groove was too deep so I backed off about 50% and it looks much closer to the original.
IMG_2148.jpegIMG_2149.jpegIMG_2150.jpeg

I’ve been busy the past week, here are photos of the completed grenades! I will be posting information on a limited/possibly unlimited run tomorrow. And a link to a video of the machining process I posted to YouTube.

IMG_2228.jpegIMG_2229.jpegIMG_2235.jpegIMG_2236.jpegIMG_2237.jpegIMG_2220.jpegIMG_2239.jpeg

I made sure they will cycle in a 12ga shotgun. Came out pretty scuffed up but works.

scuffs after being cycled through the 12ga
IMG_2183.jpegIMG_2184.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back