Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Shoes.jpg

From Wiki

The brand [PF Flyers] was purchased by Converse in 1972, but later sold off due to antitrust issues. New Balance bought the rights to the brand in 2001 (which had been dormant since 1992) and resurrected it in 2003

So talking of PF Flyers IS the same as talking of Converse, in 1979 they were part of the same company.

Picture from wiki
Pf_mid.JPG

By the way the D-ring eyelets seem to be existing in the shoe world. Check out these Nikes http://www.vagant.net/blog/wp-conte...ad-jibe-boat-shoe-quick-strike-01-570x449.jpg
http://www.freshnessmag.com/wp-cont...ad-jibe-boat-shoe-quick-strike-07-570x449.jpg the white plastic D-rings seems to be a close match. It suggests that they might have been custom made for the costume deparment by whoever brand was in charge of it

Last edited:
Yes I remember somebody mentioning it. Well I guess they couldn't find them all in white! Or maybe they couldn't find them in white at all. Or they ordered them in a colour and then changed their mind.
Any indication on the possible original colour? Do I remember somebody saying "yellow" maybe?

By the way I guess the sole was also sprayed white, because I don't recall ever seen rubber white boot soles!

I put together a very rough generic Nostromo workshirt for a sci fi fancy dress party at christmas - nowhere near in the league of the creations I've seen here though. you might like to see it mind.

If you look at these High top Plimsoles on ebay you will see that the rubber toe cap has the same type of texture.

HI HIGH TOP PLIMSOLES PLIMSOLLS PLIMSOLS WHITE - UK 9

mmmhh... not exactly the same. The ones in Alien seem to be smooth with stuff splattered on it (or sprayed). These appear to have a consistent texture.

Ribbed part is also different. Anyway good spotting. They are also relatively inexpensive... great for cheap nostromo uniforms!

is it just me or is the ribbing on the toe sidewall more pronounced and wider than the ones on the PF Shoe? Seems like the ones on the PF are smaller and softer..maybe it's just the pic.

Last edited:
Holy smokes, this thread is amazing! I've been trying to find information on the Nostromo crew jackets for a while, and it's all here - thanks everyone :)

A small group of friends and I did the Nostromo crew for Dragon*Con 08. We're probably not the most 100% accurate group, but we just wanted to have some casual, running-around-the-con-in-comfort costumes. We had fun:

Alien04.jpg

Until something weird happened during dinner...
Alien05.jpg

...and then it wasn't all that fun anymore!
Alien06.jpg

Anybody want to share the point size they used for the back of the Nostromo jacket?

Yes, I finally scored one. :)
So, of course I did some measurements and if you assume the Nostromo patch is 3" tall then (not accounting for parallax) the NOSTROMO on the back is 2.25" tall.

Can any ALIEN costumers confirm if that's about right or not? If you can and are coming to San Diego, come by booth #2001 in the Independent Pavilion and I'll give you one of our graphic novels for free.

I have talked with an ALIEN costumer and he doesn't remember zip! :lol :lol

Would you really expect anyone to remember the size of the lettering on the back of a jacket made in 1979? Good information on these details can only come from collectors at this point.

About the shoes, I'm still of the opinion that they were custom made for the film production (as a Converse employee suggested me), so we will never find an exact match, it's time to ask Magnoli to produce a pair because I doubt anyone could work with shoe plastic in their own home-workshops (if I'm wrong I'll be happy to eat back).
On those shoes there are elements which were taken from all different kind of other shoes. A peculiar rubber front (which is quite rare), D-rings which are also from shoes I've found out, soles from work boot.

Last edited:
This is what Bob Burns told me about the back lettering on his SU Kane jakcet.

"the letters on the back of the jacket is the "n" is 1 3/4' tall and 1 3/8" wide. The total width of the letters is 13 1/2" across from the start of the N to the end of the O."

hope this helps.

Best
Steve

Mike R. is going to be doing some iron on and stencils of the NOSTROMO for the back of the jackets. The color will be an aqua due to the fact it is the closest he can find.

I would like to know who all would be interested in these so Mike knows how much material to order.

Thanks
Steve

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back