Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Bill,
One thing i would say is that if you intend dye-ing a green one try these colours Grey--purple(Lavender)--blue. maybe grey first then build up the layers , smaller amounts of purple and blue, to achieve that effect. I've compared this colour to colour charts and nearest I got was Purple taupe. it even ties in with the pink trim. I saw another one of these recently on ebay but i was outbid. it was same colour but in poor condition. i think you would have to go to England and rummage in old army surplus shops, its only way, take a holiday! anyway see if this helps.

Bill,
One thing i would say is that if you intend dye-ing a green one try these colours Grey--purple(Lavender)--blue. maybe grey first then build up the layers , smaller amounts of purple and blue, to achieve that effect. I've compared this colour to colour charts and nearest I got was Purple taupe. it even ties in with the pink trim. I saw another one of these recently on ebay but i was outbid. it was same colour but in poor condition. i think you would have to go to England and rummage in old army surplus shops, its only way, take a holiday! anyway see if this helps.

In the photo you posted, the jacket just looks like RAF blue to me (which is the colour I have already dyed my jacket). All I did was to use pre-dye and then a navy blue dye.

Luckily, I already am in England - I live here :lol. Sadly, the old-style army surplus shops are not what they were. Bargains are few and far between. Silverman's is expensive and Lawrence Corner is no more :cry

DSCF0954.jpg
[/IMG]

Heres sleeve pocket its not padded.

Sorry Bill,
I thought you were from the states. Do you know why there's different colours? Royal Navy flying jacket ? I get better picture of the label.

That's OK, I'm not insulted by being mistaken for an American :lol

I believe jackets are worn by all services: Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm etc.), Army as well as Royal Air Force. I think they all wear green ones now, but possibly the RAF or Navy commissioned their own in the past.

2009_0507Image0005.jpg

Here are my patches. Its as close to the original as I can get. Light background "NOSTROMO" and Gold and Silver wings, first and second in command.

For the benefit of those reconstructing the Dallas jacket, here's another photo of the rear panel unzipped.

img2224.jpg

The zipper is 11" long, the lacing just over 8".

Regarding their shoes, I think this has been previously discussed in that thread, no ???

Late 70's KEEN, IIRC...
:)

it's been a while I wanted to answer this... sorry I'm new here.

KEEN never produced high tops. I asked and they confirmed.

Keds said the shoes in the film are definitely not theirs (I showed them good screngrabs of those from all possible angles)

Now... when I contacted Converse with the same picture they said

Regretfully, we could not identify this style as a Converse shoe. It could
have been designed locally by one of our partners. We apologize we could
not assist you further

It's possible that costumiers asked Converse if they could make them a "special" shoe for the film (a high-top canvas with rugged sole) - the same thing happened with the Reebok from Aliens - or else they took a normal white converse type, modified it themselves adding the sole from work boots, the curtain-rings-like laces eyelets etc... (probably even the front ribbed band, or whatever is called)

I could have asked to a costumier who worked on Alien and whom I interviewed a while ago but unfortunately I forgot.

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I don't know much about these costumes but those sneakers look a lot like a pair of PF Flyers my roomate has.

pfflyn-9.jpg

The stripe and side wall seem to be the same. The toe has the verticle grooves. As far as the soles, look at this link:

http://www.pfflyers.com/archival-reissue/

They've made them with beefy soles in the past. I can't explain the crazy lace holes but I think the shoes might be at least a custom or production-produced PF Flyer Center Hi.

I had noticed the PF Flyers, obviously for the front ribbed rubber piece (awaiting for funny jokes here). Also the only ones with "rugged" soles. Unfortunately the rugged soles from the "Flyers" don't match the Alien shoe sole.

The grounder hi Pf Flyers sole look like this
pf-flyers-male-flyers-grounder-lo-fabric-upper-fashion-trainers-in-natural--honey.jpg

while the Nostromo shoes had the typical boot sole.

I'm certain that the shoes were not pre-exsisting but they were modified from existing ones or custom made by some company like Converse or Pf Flyers.
Both Converse and Flyers have one single line running on the sides of the sole. I am positive it's either one of the two brands.

True enough. They have a shoe called Sportshu that has a sole that looks closer to the Nostromo shoe.

I agree they don't look off-the-shelf. Probably cobbled together. But the PF's seem a better starting point than Converse. Especially since Converse toes are checked not ribbed.

I'm sure that old converse also came with ribbed toe. I wouldn't exclude that just yet. I'll contact Pf Flyers and ask what they think (those are the last company that I haven't enquiried yet... I was kinda keeping them for the end)

To make a list of "characteristics" of these shoes which were probably added/modified we have:

- rubber rugged sole (possibly from boots) instead of the typical high-top shoe soles
- ribbed front (might have been on the original shoe but might have also be made on purpose).
- 3 vent holes on the side notice that Converse and all other brands typically put two, this indicates that the shoes were most likely custom made or, in any case, modified

...and of course the laces D-rings! (I wonder where those are from!)

shoes1.png

shoes2.png

shoes3.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back