Alien Enviromental Suit Progress .Youtube links added last post.

Re: Aliens Enviromental Suit Progress pics.

There's at least one part from the MPC/Airfix "Space 1999 Hawk Spaceship" among the detail on the right rear neckpiece detail. Here's a pic to illustrate, apologies for the small size!.

Tony

Last edited:

There's at least one part from the MPC/Airfix "Space 1999 Hawk Spaceship" among the detail on the right rear neckpiece detail. Here's a pic to illustrate, apologies for the small size!.

Tony

Steve and Richie,
Those are from the Hawk kit and there are parts of the boosters and grid on the left side. I'll post pics of the hawk kit and the helmet location tonight. Richie, call me today when you get time.
Rick

Here is the finished helmet base. We have a start on the add on bits.
Anyone else see anything hat might be a found item?

Thanks
Steve

S5030134-1.jpg

S5030133-1.jpg

S5030132-1.jpg

S5030131.jpg

Okay,

Who has a vintage 1999 Hawk kit for sale or for loan? On the other side of the helmet there are parts too. Thanks Tony for pointing this kit out.

The blue circled items I know are on the helmet so far.

hawk1lg.jpg

hawk2lg.jpg

Thanks to my great friend Harry Harris I have these pictures. Here are the pictues off the helmet. Couldn't have done this project without your help Harry.
Thanks
Steve
helmet12.jpg

helmet10.jpg

helmet1.jpg

The 3 disks with "rivet" detail on the back of the helmet are almost certainly Plastruct parts - "Manways" (see http://www.ema-models.co.uk/shop/catpages/page-DAX.html) for an example.

The other highlighted parts on the back look suspiciously like the two halves of the handle to the small screwdriver that used to be supplied in the 1/12th scale Tamiya Formula 1 racing car kits - I had the JPS Lotus 72D and Malboro Maclaren kits and they both had the same screwdriver (you had to assemble it before you could use it!) :)

Tony

very cool!!

Here is a better picture of the back.. Does it still appear to be the screw driver handle? And I think you are correct on the other bits for sure. The size we need are 2 each 27mm and 1 of the 38.1mm.

helmet21.jpg

Also... here is the parts sheet for the Hawk. even the rocket pods were used.
HAWK-BP1.jpg

Last edited:

This part outlined in red is almost certainly from a large scale Tamiya F1 race car.

helmet12.jpg

So do these other highlighted parts!

The screwdriver handle theory still looks plausible in the higher res pic above.:)

Tony

Since I don't know anything about these cars... what parts would the square parts be on the car?

Are there any comparision pics you can post?

Thanks
Steve

The square and rectangular "plates" with the fine ridged detail look like the various radiators found on the Lotus 72D and Mclaren M23.
The curved tubular sections seem to be from the suspension and possibly cooling system i.e. on the kit they would plug into the radiators.

I will see if I can find any comparison pics but it's over 30 years since I built these kits!

Tony

Edit: the manuals for the F1 car kits are available online at: http://www.hobbygrandprix.com/modeling/manuals/manuals.html. The back pages of the manuals show the part sprue layouts and there are some familiar shapes there (especially the Mclaren)

Last edited:

I suspect careful examination of the manuals will uncover the origin of a few more parts :lol

The instruction pages of the manuals show the parts in perspective view which might help.

BTW the use of the Airfix/MPC hawk kit is a nice little 'in-joke'. The original helmets were detailed by Martin Bower who co-designed and built the original Hawk models for Space: 1999.

Tony

Tony

Can you confirm the scale and producer of the 2 Race car model kits. Gonna see if we can pick these up.

Thanks

Richie

Richie,

The cars are all 1/12th scale and were produced by Tamiya in the 1970s although some of them (eg the Tyrrell P34) have been recently reissued. No sign of the Mclaren though :-(

Tony

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back