Cool shot, Mike.
Not sure how much dry transfers would slide around on the surface, but it is relatively easy with rough handling
to chip and scratch them up quite a bit. The same kind of wear is evident on the lettering on the sidearm props.
I played around with the other image a bit. . .
"VENT DIAL" perhaps? The third letter may not be an I, though. Not sure if the structure above and to the right is intended to be a switch or a knob or something.
Four letter words that end in "AL" that would make sense in this case are in pretty short supply.
Once Letraset is down it doesn’t move even if flooded with sealer, so it was probably 'badly' applied in the first place. In their defence having lettering just underneath a projection means you have to cut the sheet into individual letters and then try to rub them down - tricky!
I went ahead and added the lettering. I'm pretty confident on the "DO NOT OPEN VENTS" and about
80% on the "VENT DIAL" on the opposite side. The letters were waaaaay too small to try and scrape
them to match the weathering, so I left them complete.
Here's the right side.
Close up on the lettering.
Here's the left side.
Along with its close up.
This was fairly tricky to do. I didn't resort to cutting each letter from the sheet individually, but I did have to cut
each row of letters and work that way. It's a very subtle addition to the helmet, but I know they're there.
Many thanks yet again to Richie and Steve for creating a magnificent prop! This has a very prominent place in
my collection and I love it as much today as when I got it in 2009.
Great results!! I have a collection of Letraset and yes, it a pain to rub and apply each letter by hand (to make them look worn out, you can always take the point of a cutter and remove part of the letter that way).