ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

Originally posted by Prop Runner+Feb 27 2006, 12:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop Runner @ Feb 27 2006, 12:17 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Birdie
@Feb 26 2006, 03:21 PM
Also picked this up yesterday:

[attachmentid=6867]

[attachmentid=6868]
[snapback]1194266[/snapback]​
Why, do you plan on building a vintage oscilloscope? :D
[snapback]1194317[/snapback]​
[/b]

For $5, thought I could scout out how fragilethese things are :)

Originally posted by Birdie+Feb 26 2006, 05:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Birdie @ Feb 26 2006, 05:26 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 27 2006, 12:17 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Birdie
@Feb 26 2006, 03:21 PM
Also picked this up yesterday:

[attachmentid=6867]

[attachmentid=6868]
[snapback]1194266[/snapback]​

Why, do you plan on building a vintage oscilloscope? :D
[snapback]1194317[/snapback]​

For $5, thought I could scout out how fragilethese things are :)
[snapback]1194328[/snapback]​
[/b]

Trust me... the sides are VERY thin glass and the coating on the face is toxic. It can become loose and airborne if you break the tube. You will be able to tell if it's pressurized if the "nipple" in the center of the connector is intact. Trust me, be careful with it.

Old CRTs may also have used toxic phosphors, although that is much less common today. An implosion or other breaking of the glass envelope could release these toxic phosphors. And because of the X-ray hazard, the glass envelopes of most modern CRTs are made from heavily leaded glass. The lead in this glass may represent an environmental hazard, especially in the presence of acid rain leaking through landfills.

A quick update on the gully covers:

This is turning out to be more of a headache than I thought... :angry

The company I placed the order with (Plumb Center) have now informed me that they have a 'new policy' of placing a £10 surcharge on any item from their catalogue that is not in stock :confused

I politeley informed them that this was plain wrong. They promised to get back to me.

I have located the 6" covers and the 8". I have been informed by another store that the 7" cover is discontinued. Stadium say this is false. No-one wants to order any for me.

I finally located a store in Birmingham that had some in stock. It is not their policy to mail order unless you have an account with them. I begged and pleaded, and finally managed to procure 5 covers.

If the interest in this piece proves sufficient, I guess we could split Plumb Center's frankly outrageous surcharge over a group order.

More when I receive the covers.

Simon, I am sure I speak for everyone when I tell you that we truly appreciate the amount of effort you are putting into this. We will abide by your final decision as to the route you wish to go. And I don't really see anyone here complaing about having to split a small surcharge in order to get the correct piece.

-Fred

P.S. I'll offer you nice shiny quater (on top of the cost) if I can be one of the lucky five ;) :lol

Originally posted by Gigatron@Feb 27 2006, 01:17 PM
Simon, I am sure I speak for everyone when I tell you that we truly appreciate the amount of effort you are putting into this.  We will abide by your final decision as to the route you wish to go.  And I don't really see anyone here complaing about having to split a small surcharge in order to get the correct piece.

-Fred

P.S.  I'll offer you nice shiny quater (on top of the cost) if I can be one of the lucky five  ;)  :lol
[snapback]1194667[/snapback]​

Don't worry Fred, I've got your back ;)

Okay, keeping it going....

IDing these parts is driving me nutty bananas.

Looking for the long part I've searched on vents, filters, grids, grilles....

Please someone help me get a decent night's sleep.

[attachmentid=6889]

Last edited:
I'm convinced these are not any kind of terminal block of junction box. I've shown these pics to no less than 3 electrical engineers I work with closely on my real-life projects and they agree. As I posted on page 4, they're too shallow. Second, individual blocks appear to be missing in a couple of places and facing opposite directions on the handle base:

blocks.JPG

This means they are individual pieces lined up and glued side by side. Since they used slide levers from a sound mixer board and an EMI shield from a vintage oscilloscope, better chance than zero that these may have come from one of those 2 devices. My best guess is that these are somehow associated with the slide levers, since these two greeblies are found in such large quantities on the prop. Perhaps they're what's directly underneath the levers:

sliders_blocks.JPG

Once we have that Tascam taken apart, we'll hopefully prove or disprove my theory. :D

- Gabe

Just a thought on the radar dish, to me dish seems to have a back plate, with two holes per section on the outter ring. It is suspected this is just an add on behind the drain cover? There is a lip that would seem indicate they are two distinct pieces.

To me, it looks like they also used the corresponding riser (the part that would attach the grid to the water line) as well. I've been looking, but haven't found the part. I've seen some that look kind of close, but not exact.

-Fred

Hey Simon,

Nice catch on that auction, bro :thumbsup . Luckily, your bid went in with only a few seconds or that other guy might've had our parts :lol

-Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron@Feb 28 2006, 07:13 PM
Hey Simon,

Nice catch on that auction, bro  :thumbsup .  Luckily, your bid went in with only a few seconds or that other guy might've had our parts :lol

-Fred
[snapback]1195747[/snapback]​

Looking forward to tearing it apart :lol

Those things are built like tanks, mind.

I went back to the surplus electronics store, and bought him out of Venier dials: both of them.

I also purchased (from a box labeled "misc pots") some potentiometers w/ the correct shaft length so this can be mounted to the TV.

If he were to order more, they would be $20 each (either Mouser of Digi-Key).

Whomever posts 1st & 2nd can purchase the Venier dials I have w/ the pot: $10 I paid for dial, plus $1 for pot. Total would be $11 plus shipping to wherever you live.

(postal money order preferred).
Mike

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back