ALIEN (1979) motion tracker questions

OK, I've been looking at oscilliscopes till my eyes hurt, but the 3 closest candidates so far seem to be the Textronix 545B, 545A and the Lavoie LA-265A (a 5454A clone). All three have an external Vernier dial, small round scope and are from the early 60's. I haven't found a decent picture of the insides to determine if the RF shield is correct, but I figure the more people looking, the better the odds of finding the correct one.

-Fred

I've sent a pic to someone too. Luckily, not the same person.

Can we decide who will be handling this so we don't double request and make everyone out there crazy. Sorry I jumped in and sent out a request. I was just trying to be helpful and I had a minute.

Originally posted by Birdie@Mar 3 2006, 05:09 PM
Hey Fred,

Check this page out: http://pcbunn.cacr.caltech.edu/jjb/Tektronix/tektronix.htm

I have emailed the guy with a couple of pics to see ifhe can ID it.
[snapback]1198003[/snapback]​

I spent a better part of this morning looking at that page and oddly enough, the Hartley is the one that stuck in my mind as well.

It's too bad that few pics actually show the CRT of the scopes.

-Fred

This one from Ebay was made at Borehamwood in Hertfordshire. Things that make you go hmmm....

[attachmentid=6966]

Last edited:
The Hartley Model 13A looks VERY promising indeed:

Hartley_model_13A_compare.JPG

Also, looking at the other oscilloscope page, this stuck me as a possibility:

connector_compare.JPG

Not saying it came off this particular device, but from the very beginning I had a strong suspicion that this part is a coaxial cable connector. Let's look at other types. :)

Other updates:

I met with my electrical engineer friend last night and we went over all the items I'd like to see function on a totally tricked out replica:
  • Key activated circuit - CHECK.
  • Short-range motion sensor in tip of replica oscilloscope CRT shield - CHECK.
  • Buzzing sound activated by waving hand in front of motion sensor - CHECK.
  • LCD screen with grid and approaching alien blips and sound - CHECK.
  • Governor and knob lights going on and off - CHECK.
  • back-lit green crosshairs in "speedometer" - CHECK.
In other words, he's quite confident he can create a plug & play circuit to perform all these functions. We'll be saving images, video clips and sounds off of the DVD this weekend and he'll get cracking on a circuit schematic and component cost breakdown. :D

- Gabe

To make the tracker "key powered" all you'd need is a simple replacement ignition cylinder from an autoparts store. They come pre wired for power and ground and come witha key that fits. That parts not the problem.

I think I have a bead on a hartley 13a, but it doesn't look like they ship out of the UK. Simon, you've got a PM coming your way.

-Fred

And I'm ready to e-mail my Chinese vendor asking for a quote on galvanized steel shield replicas. :D Once I have the correct dimensions and some close-ups of a found shield, I'd possibly modify the inside of the tip to accept an IR motion sensor... :love

- Gabe

On that point: the guy still has it, wants to sell it. We're trying to work something out for shipping, apparently unbelievably heavy.

Originally posted by Birdie@Mar 3 2006, 10:48 PM
On that point: the guy still has it, wants to sell it. We're trying to work something out for shipping, apparently unbelievably heavy.
[snapback]1198222[/snapback]​

Update: I've managed to secure the oscilloscope for £15. Unfortunateley I have to get to Billingshurst (20 miles-ish) to collect it.

I'm a motorcyclist, so I'll have to try and secure a car for an evening, hopefully won't be too problematical. :)

BTW, haven't received the Tascam yet.

Originally posted by Birdie@Mar 6 2006, 03:19 PM
I'm still waiting on the Tascam, the seller has turned out to be a serious a-hole.
[snapback]1199845[/snapback]​

Sorry to hear that, Simon. What's his problem?

Any info on that Hartley?

-Fred

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back