Airbrush paints?

hez1

I got an airbrush this weekend, and it came with some latex paints from monster makers. I can't seem to find any real info about using them though...MM says they're concentrated, but doesn't mention how much (if at all) to dilute them by. They also say they flex with the latex, does this remove the need for prosaide?

Any input on using this stuff would be much appreciated!

I've heard using distilled water is best for mixing for airbrushing. Is this correct, George?

It probably is, Andy.. But I've used just plain tap water too.. I don't really have an accurate mix ratio.. Just sort of eyeball it to an airbrush passible consistency

Just sort of eyeball it to an airbrush passible consistency
Hah, this is my first time with an airbrush, so I'm just trying to not gum up the works first time out. I'll give the distilled water a try too, since I think we have hard water here out of the tap.

Hez, the thickness of your paint is going to be a trial and error thing. The size of your needle, control of airflow/paint, and the diameter of your nozzle are all going to affect how it sprays. Really, your best option is to keep a cardboard sheet or something at your paint station. Mix 1:1 or so, and give it a test then adjust from there.

I've found certain colours, especially reds and whites, are notably more translucent than others at the same ratio. So it's not an exact science by any standard. Just play with it, and don't be afraid to have to clean the thing. Better you figure out early on exactly how to take care of the gun than when you're on a deadline.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back