Advice on trying to imatate a aged gradient and motods of giving Wood a toothlike texture

Plokman

Hey all I was working on organizing my Workshop today found a handy little knife I'm going to see if I can use as a whittling knife in my wood work. But there was something about it besides thinking it could be useful the handle has a bit of a pseudogradient where the plastic has discolored in some places not sure if it's from soaking up something, sun wear, or mineral absorption from water. but the more I looked at it I thought that would look great in wood if I could replicate it. Giving the wood of the given project a feel of wear, uniqeness and limitless other possibilities such as prop Animal teeth.

Speaking of in one of my wand projects I plan to do I want to make the Core a Quintiped fang and I want to carve a realistic feeling tooth, I know it can be done I've seen prop Megalodon Shark Teeth that look real so if anyone would be willing to advise me I'd be in their debt which means my respect and discounts when I sell my props.
1114182006-00.jpg

Anyway I have included a photo of the handle of the knife to give a bit more insight on the effect I'd am talking about and here is a Quintaped if you aren't a Harry Potter lore hog like I am, Quintaped

Honestly, the most realistic tooth/bone I've seen was done using PVC pipe. I remember a lightsaber handle years ago that someone did to look like some kind of ivory, complete with a scrimshaw design, and it looked legit.

-Rog

Sorry for the delay everyone, had a crazy week, misplaced keys, cleaning things out like the closets to find them, you get the idea. Finally found them now I'm just putting everything back in order. Geez moving day is gonna suck with that in mind.

But eh firstworld problems as they say time to get back to your replies.

Honestly, the most realistic tooth/bone I've seen was done using PVC pipe. I remember a lightsaber handle years ago that someone did to look like some kind of ivory, complete with a scrimshaw design, and it looked legit.

-Rog

PVC? Really, huh I know a lot of toys that are made in the vain of classic figurines (Think "Indian In The Cupboard" there with my use of figurine. Basically I mean any plastic toy that is a single cast plastic piece with a base to keep it from falling over there) use PVC in their creation though at that size detail is usually left down to paint. Would you say Pipe grade PVC is what they used it is the only PVC I know of that even on a basic level can look like Ivory (Mainly because as far as I'm aware and feel free to correct me it is why I make my posts to get advice but the only kind of coloring agent PVC has that you can paint with is a bonding paint which literally bonds with the pipe plastic and that only comes in blue) it definitely would not surprise me.

If so I may need to make a double boiler system to melt ground up PVC into a pourable form and make some carving blanks. In a emergency I could always try making a mold out of Play-doh (Seriously undervalued as a tool for the maker, cheap can be baked and easy to sculpt) and get a really rough fang shape then try to get those sort of linear marks around it carved.

You know it just occured to me the way teeth often look, Canines inparticular the bits of it's form look like the digital artifacts any 3D printed item has just a more organic feel (By digital artifacts here I mean the fact that since all computers visualize in Raster nothing is circular 100% if a 3D printer was able to print Vector based lines it could be truly circular, Unless I am really over thinking it and the artifacts are caused by a differnt factor. I have no knowledge of printing 3D I sprite and sculpt that's my mediums.) at least my ones felt that way back before I had to remove them (Stress caused my teeth to crumble not going to gross you out on details) hmm may have my dad help me take a good up close shot of my puppy's teeth just for detail.

Um I hope I didn't sound weird there. Thanks for that possibly, I really would like to make things out of organic materials (My Dragon Heartstrings are to be made with Past Eat by date Ramen with a special stabilizer in their water, Cotton for Unicorn hair I'm sure you get the idea) but practicality is just as important to making a supurb product in the end.

I believe that was ForceRelics or MadCow who did that saber effect.

I just looked at their site and if that one sabre's hilt is made from PVC (The one that looks a bit like driftwood texture wise) then I need to find a way to apprentice with them, that is amazing!

Hmm still no luck figuring out how to "Rust fade" a item like the handle I posted at the start but I am getting good leads on the second part. Thanks my friends.

yeah.. I believe they call it a 'bone' effect....

but maybe thats getting off topic? You mention WOOD in the title.. but the second reply mention tooth/bone (which is what I jumped on)

If you want to achieve a bone effect with paint, just experiment using different mediums to see what works best for you. Try filling wood and then sanding to make sure it is ultra smooth. Paint is a base ivory color. Then use layers of thinned brown paint to build up desired look, and rub it in to achieve a nice effect. Try adding wax to the piece and buffing to give it a nice gloss. So many things to try, and I say just play around on scrap wood to see what works best.

The only good wood texture stuff I have seen was done via 'water painting'

Like this type of approach: (tons of other cool water transfer painting stuff out there too)

yeah.. I believe they call it a 'bone' effect....

but maybe thats getting off topic? You mention WOOD in the title.. but the second reply mention tooth/bone (which is what I jumped on)

Well it's not off topic if your advice leads me to making a great fake tooth, least as far as I am concerned. Honestly no advice is bad advice save for on phrase and I think we all know what I'm about to quote,

"You suck! Give up you moron!"

That is the only thing that is bad advice, one it's rude, two to make something wonderfull at the end of a long process takes time, will and the ability to learn from your mistakes. Any artist who will give nothing but anger, hate, unhelpful and rude comments when they think they are above it are not artists.

Those fools who sit in a pristine white chair with a window behind them (It's Stereotyping at this point.) and complain that their gallery didn't make them a billion dollars opening day are not artists, they are only in it for money.

I know you are not one of them because you commented, trying to help a fellow artist who is just dipping their toes in the water of replica and wood work, it all helps if we share our knowledge, wisdom and more with our fellows.

Pardon me for the rant but I hate the stereotype of artists who have possibly inspired millions, are all "I couldn't of made it without my fans." and then they see the work of someone who got into art thanks to their inspiration only for said hero to say things like "Uninspired, simple, junk." for example when iCarly with Miranda Cossgrove was in it's first seasons and therefore good enough to watch there was one thing I hated everytime they showed up and one episode. The first was that stupid woman teacher who was more or less Professor Umbridge as a American school teacher, and the episode where the sculptor that Carly's brother looked up to get's to meet him, show his works to him and then be told they were amateur at best. I hated that episode as it is a reimagining of the a story my psychology teacher once told the class.

"One day at school, a young student and his class were in their art class, their teacher asked them all to draw the best house with a field and the sky in it.

everyone including the young boy began working on their pictures, the boy was having great fun adding just the right colors and detail his heart could must for one his age.

After a while the teacher collected the pictures, but when she got to the boy she saw he had drawn the grass blue, the sun was greenish yellow and the clouds were red.

She kept the boy after class and asked him why he drew it like that.

The boy said "It was fun, blue and red are my favorite colors."

The teacher told the boy that such colors were silly said it looked bad.

That boy never drew another picture again."

Harsh criticism is needed but no matter how bad something is you can and must give some encouragement, otherwise you shut someone out of somthing worth doing. Being a artist a Maker is something we all need some help now and again with, that's why we find good fellows to help us figure methods and help improve together.

If you want to achieve a bone effect with paint, just experiment using different mediums to see what works best for you. Try filling wood and then sanding to make sure it is ultra smooth. Paint is a base ivory color. Then use layers of thinned brown paint to build up desired look, and rub it in to achieve a nice effect. Try adding wax to the piece and buffing to give it a nice gloss. So many things to try, and I say just play around on scrap wood to see what works best.

I got plenty of scrap wood and I think some white paint I can give it a shot for sure hardest part I'd say will be the root of the tooth but eh I can find decent references for them and weathering is something I need to get down too for models not wand based.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back