Advanced Potions Making

I see that this thread is in "Replica Movie Props" but maybe, some moderator would like to move to "Paper props" sub-forum, since it is about a book replica.

I think it's in the right place. He's not just making a cover or a page. He plans on making the entire book, making it a prop. Same as the Grail Diary or a Book of Secrets.

here I go! I assume the measure 6x9 and I started yesterday to layout (is that the correct word?) some pages and making tests. I'm happy with everything I've done so far; meassures are great once you printed one page and you hold in your hand.
Some progress...

5944068426_ef1cb98eb6_o.jpg

of course I must to add the handwritten texts, but that will be later...
I invented the number of pages and the amount of them that has each chapter. 300-350 pages in total.

Now, I see ... I will be as accurate as possible to the original but I don't understand why they did not justify texts :unsure

Last edited:
WOW, 300 to 350 pages!! That is quite an undertaking. Any idea on a time frame to finish?

bfd

uhm, I have no idea yet. To replicate the screen used pages is very easy and fast (I'll finish it tonight), but fill out rest of the book with invented work inspired on original desings and source books could take some time, I really have no hurry.

300 is only an aproximation based on screen captures, 250 pages could be an evenly valid number. I guess I will change the CONTENTS page several times.

Edit: He, hee, I am looking slowly some caps and I think that all double spread has "16" and "17" page-number. :D

Last edited:
uhm, I have no idea yet. To replicate the screen used pages is very easy and fast (I'll finish it tonight), but fill out rest of the book with invented work inspired on original desings and source books could take some time, I really have no hurry.

300 is only an aproximation based on screen captures, 250 pages could be an evenly valid number. I guess I will change the CONTENTS page several times.

Edit: He, hee, I am looking slowly some caps and I think that all double spread has "16" and "17" page-number. :D

Wasn't trying to rush you along, just curious is all. Its a great project I'm sure you will have fun with and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product as your past work is impeccable.

Funny how when you really look closely at something as you are now you notice all these little things like duplicate page numbers. I imagine movie prop makers are under alot of tight schedules and find ways to cut corners to make the deadlines.

The question that comes into play is, do you go for absolute screen accuracy, errors and all or do you "correct" it for sake of being correct? Doing an entire book I'm guessing you will likely correct the page numbering.

best, bfd

Wasn't trying to rush you along, just curious is all. Its a great project I'm sure you will have fun with and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product as your past work is impeccable.

Funny how when you really look closely at something as you are now you notice all these little things like duplicate page numbers. I imagine movie prop makers are under alot of tight schedules and find ways to cut corners to make the deadlines.

The question that comes into play is, do you go for absolute screen accuracy, errors and all or do you "correct" it for sake of being correct? Doing an entire book I'm guessing you will likely correct the page numbering.

best, bfd

Good point

demiguel.m, amazing work!! I hope you make a few copies and include me on the list of people who would love to buy one :)

Will this be for sell?

First of all, I must finish the project ;)
I suppose I will be able to do some books for people who wants one of it, but before, I must do many tests and check that the final product quality is enough for sale.

best, bfd

oh please, rush me what you want. It is a big project and I am sure I will get tired at some points. Doing here in rpf, with some people pressure because of its illusion; and help from people like you, is the only way to finish something like this.
I have been thinking about SA point since I started with this. I am a SA obsessed but I am afraid that It has no much sense in that book since we only know and see a few pages. I will make the pages that we know, so close to the original as possible, but changing some details for a perfect integration with the total.

Last edited:
Brilliant mate..!!

As always you are going far and beyond what others would be happy with and that's why your work is always so brilliant..!

Kind regards

MARK

I've got a point for discussion. First off, I believe that the book should be printed on canvas (bookbinders cloth). Bookbinders cloth is married to a paper and that keeps fraying to a minimum so the lack of frayed edges, even on a worn book, doesn't always mean that it is not made with bookbinders cloth.

So here's my prop making point for discussion... If a prop is obviously supposed to appear to be made of "A" but we suspect the actual prop is made of "B", what is more appropriate? Be faithful to the prop or the reality that the prop is meant to emulate?

Hi,

@demiguel.m : Will we have the pleasure and opportunity to see a readable and free version of your book?

Thanks you !

First of all, I must finish the project ;)
I suppose I will be able to do some books for people who wants one of it, but before, I must do many tests and check that the final product quality is enough for sale.

oh please, rush me what you want. It is a big project and I am sure I will get tired at some points. Doing here in rpf, with some people pressure because of its illusion; and help from people like you, is the only way to finish something like this.
I have been thinking about SA point since I started with this. I am a SA obsessed but I am afraid that It has no much sense in that book since we only know and see a few pages. I will make the pages that we know, so close to the original as possible, but changing some details for a perfect integration with the total.

How much would you imagine this would go for?

demiguel, your project is very very impressive. i really wanna see the final version very much. excellent work really!

Brilliant mate..!!

As always you are going far and beyond what others would be happy with and that's why your work is always so brilliant..!

Kind regards

MARK

I am loving it (y)thumbsup:thumbsup
Include me in the list of interested people :)

I love this

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your words.

Hi,

@demiguel.m : Will we have the pleasure and opportunity to see a readable and free version of your book?

Thanks you !

I will make a mix of real and invented pages using the same layout pages style, so I will mix a small texts with a "real" recipes of books HP bibliography. I have no plans for be read as a normal book.

How much would you imagine this would go for?
No idea yet. I must complete the work, evaluate the time spent on that, production costs and many things that currently I do not know. Now is the time to enjoy making new neverseen pages and listen to advice from this community. ;)

Thanks again :)

Are you a graphic designer? I ask because you may want to follow a medieval page layout. It will look much more authentic (I'm guessing here as I am not a Harry Potter fan). If you do not have a copy of Adobe InDesign (I highly recommend avoiding MSWord), I hear Scribus is a very good free alternative.

I'd offer to do the work on it for you myself, but I simply do not have the time. But feel free to send me a message or email if I can answer any questions. Book layout and design is my day job.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back