Adam Savage Toolbox - In Progress

lb429

Hello everyone, here are some photos of my Adam Savage model making toolbox. Ever since reading about those famous toolboxes i've wanted to make my own. I've been religiously watching Tested videos lately and felt this project calling me. Finally, i had enough spare time and some scavenged aluminum to try it.

It's far from perfect, but i wanted a nice rough look. I constructed the body from some old highway signs and the lid portion from some old serving trays. The inside is unfinished as i need to figure out a good way to make the tool slots.

I will replace the handles someday if i find the right black suitcase handles. I also want find the right butterfly locks. For now no scissor lift, but its in the works.
?hash=4f60e7639f1b8f3ed99b2dbbf32b702f.jpg
IMG_3157.JPG
IMG_3156.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG

Here are some photos of the real toolboxes for anyone unfamiliar.
ts_savage_f.jpg

Toolbox measurements3.jpeg
715381_81_71250_ucoJm6DaM.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3153.JPG
    IMG_3153.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hello everyone, here are some photos of my Adam Savage model making toolbox. Ever since reading about those famous toolboxes i've wanted to make my own. I've been religiously watching Tested videos lately and felt this project calling me. Finally, i had enough spare time and some scavenged aluminum to try it.

It's far from perfect, but i wanted a nice rough look. I constructed the body from some old highway signs and the lid portion from some old serving trays. The inside is unfinished as i need to figure out a good way to make the tool slots.

I will replace the handles someday if i find the right black suitcase handles. I also want find the right butterfly locks. For now no scissor lift, but its in the works.View attachment 1594986View attachment 1594982View attachment 1594983View attachment 1594984
I know they look lightweight, but they have survived. Seriously, the "not perfect" aspect of your build is what makes it authentically perfect. Mine are crunchy as hell when you see them up close.

Love this build.
Thanks a lot Mr. Savage your reply just made my entire year!

UPDATE: For the inside of the tool box, i want something that could get banged around, that won't warp or rust. Also I want it relatively light. I tried some pieces of laminate flooring, but it failed.

Last edited:
UPDATE: For the inside of the toolboxes i found some plastic and aluminum mesh from a satellite dish.
I think i can just find the right configuration and jam them inside. Hopefully they will be removable and sturdy enough without needing more attachments to the box. I may also spray them with a coat of rubber, or at least cover the sharper tops with something.
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 106
UPDATE: For the inside of the toolboxes i found some plastic and aluminum mesh from a satellite dish.
I think i can just find the right configuration and jam them inside. Hopefully they will be removable and sturdy enough without needing more attachments to the box. I may also spray them with a coat of rubber, or at least cover the sharper tops with something.
View attachment 1595619View attachment 1595621View attachment 1595622
This is an awesome build! ... I am very interested in how you are approaching the inside and it's organization. I made my own Savage Toolbox a few years back and the organization has ALWAYS been a work in progress. (Adam makes it look so easy!)

My current tactic is utilizing some existing tool organizers and modifying them for the inside of the box. It allows for some different approaches and theoretically(?) saves some time... if that were true, I probably would be done?

Anyway, this is GREAT work, and as has been mentioned, using old highway signs and a satellite dish is such great upcycling.

That’s so awesome ! I just finished the book and i also loved reading about these toolboxes. Very cool build man good job!

This is an awesome build! ... I am very interested in how you are approaching the inside and it's organization. I made my own Savage Toolbox a few years back and the organization has ALWAYS been a work in progress. (Adam makes it look so easy!)

My current tactic is utilizing some existing tool organizers and modifying them for the inside of the box. It allows for some different approaches and theoretically(?) saves some time... if that were true, I probably would be done?

Anyway, this is GREAT work, and as has been mentioned, using old highway signs and a satellite dish is such great upcycling.
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I will post some finished inside pictures soon.

Thats really cool he would not only chime in, but he would tell you what he used. Liked him before but I'm a fan now!

Last edited:
UPDATE: Here are some pictures of the inside mesh organizers. They are light and they work. Easily removed and replaced if i need. I still need to figure some neat way to utilize top lid storage.
IMG_3611.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3613.jpg
IMG_3614.jpg
Still plenty of room for more tools!

Those are great! And great approach to having everything be readily available.

I used two approaches for the lids-- 1.) Silicone adhesive and VELCRO straps, and 2.) 1/8" leather strap, brass snaps, and Gorilla Glue. The former holds well, and can be removed, which is good for lightweight tools and the latter is not easily removable, but can easily hold a ballpeen hammer or similar.

Thanks a lot for the advice and praise. Some time ill post some pictures of the current organization scheme!

These are super popular, I remember watching the video when it first came out. I really, really want to make one as well, but also there is something intimidating to me about its all metal design. I feel like I am always a moment away from slicing my finger on exposed metal edges. As someone who has used them for about a year now tell me, are they as practical a solution as they appear to be?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back