AAV Drop Ship

Those Omiwheels would be interesting.

Airless tires could still make sense. Depending on the (hypothetical) operational altitude of the Drop Ship the pressure differential of the inside to the outside might pose a problem. And the added benefit of not having to worry to run flat might be interesting as well.

Did a quick search of current airless tire technology and found a few examples, if it helps. If not, at least the pictures are interesting :D

Edit: Just occurred to me that this is a terrestrial ship and not space-related, so feel free to disregard.
View attachment 1325077View attachment 1325078View attachment 1325079View attachment 1325080View attachment 1325081

Those Omiwheels would be interesting.

Airless tires could still make sense. Depending on the (hypothetical) operational altitude of the Drop Ship the pressure differential of the inside to the outside might pose a problem. And the added benefit of not having to worry to run flat might be interesting as well.

Thanks for putting up these interesting pics and comments, SithSithSith-san, Krest-san.

As a matter of fact, making a tire of a specific size was an issue. Here's a long story about me and tire.

When I build the SPV as my first full scratch build more than 12 years ago, I wanted to make it as a studio scale. It would be about 20 inches long. But I couldn't find the right-sized rubber tire then. And haven't got any idea to make it from nothing. So, I just bought Tamiya tires and had to build the SPV to fit that size of the tire. So, the model was 12 inches instead of 20 inches long. Then, when I built the planet explorer, I faced the same problem. I've come up with an idea to make the airless tire using a thin steel coil spring wrapped around the wheel hub. That looked good but finally, I chose tracks. This time, I considered The idea of using that coil spring tire again. Yes, it is still one of my options now. On the other hand, I wanted to make a real rubber air tire with tread patterns. If I made it good, I can use the method for any other vehicle models I like to build in the future.
Maybe my idea wouldn't work but, let me try out.
I will go to the DIY store this weekend and try to find some rubber.

Thank you so much, my friends!

katsu

How about tires for RC cars? stuff like these

You could always make molds of them as well

113 mm outer diameter, 52 mm inner diameter
Hobbypark 1.9 inch RC Crawler Tires w/Foam Inserts for 1/10 Scale Vehicle Parts
61i1tdWi5xL._AC_SS350_.jpg

120 mm outer diameter
LAFEINA 1.9" Rock Crawler Tires 120mm Rubber Tyres for 1/10 Traxxas Redcat SCX10 AXIAL RC4WD TF2 RC Car Part

1594781962821.png

Other possibilities might be wheels for roller blades or suitcases?

In the pictures sent by SithSithSith the middle one looks like the Apollo "moon buggy" tires. I recall reading an article not long ago telling about how engineers had to make some for a museum display and had to invent them all over again as no one had made drawings back in the 60s. The wire mesh worked well on the moon because of the low gravity. They never would have worked on earth.

The RC car tires look interesting. Some real rough and tough looking stuff!

That Jetlag Club looks like fun!

How about tires for RC cars? stuff like these

You could always make molds of them as well

113 mm outer diameter, 52 mm inner diameter
Hobbypark 1.9 inch RC Crawler Tires w/Foam Inserts for 1/10 Scale Vehicle Parts
View attachment 1325327

120 mm outer diameter
LAFEINA 1.9" Rock Crawler Tires 120mm Rubber Tyres for 1/10 Traxxas Redcat SCX10 AXIAL RC4WD TF2 RC Car Part

View attachment 1325326

Other possibilities might be wheels for roller blades or suitcases?

Ughee, that a pretty attractive pics!
I will never be able to make that cool tread pattern anyway. :unsure:
Thanks

In the pictures sent by SithSithSith the middle one looks like the Apollo "moon buggy" tires. I recall reading an article not long ago telling about how engineers had to make some for a museum display and had to invent them all over again as no one had made drawings back in the 60s. The wire mesh worked well on the moon because of the low gravity. They never would have worked on earth.

The RC car tires look interesting. Some real rough and tough looking stuff!

That Jetlag Club looks like fun!

Indeed!
Some of them are really cool.
RC tires a very cool. Maybe I should look for the one fit the size of my model.

Thanks!

Not much time for model building lately. My wife and daughter and I took a trip down to central Kentucky to see Mammoth Cave National Park. Amazing! We also stopped at Makers Mark Distillery and picked up a little something to take home.

50129256287_f4fc1a2b0f_c.jpg

We had to try a little with the neighbors last night. Very smooth...........

Ken-san, thanks for sharing.
Mammoth Cave National Park is a famous place even here in Japan.
The biggest limestone cave in the world. It must be an amazing view inside.
Kentucky straight bourbon and Tennessee whiskey is my best favorite.
Especially, Maker's Mark and Jack Daniels.
The Maker's Mark in your pic might be one of the finest bottles. Makes my mouth watering.

Good whiskey gives you the best feeling of intoxication.
Especially, it's great to have fun with good friends. You must have had a good time.

Every time, I buy those whiskeys for the last 40 years.
When the tax law on foreign liquor was heavy, a bottle of Jack Daniels was ¥8,800 ($88). :eek:
40 years ago. That was when my monthly income was about 120,000 yen ($11,000). I still bought it because I wanted to drink it. :lol:

Now, I can buy one for $20. :)

1595203835962.png

It's a nice coincidence but I and my wife went to a nature park nearby. It was half an hour's drive.
The wild lily was blooming here and there. We were hiking for about 2 hours. Just after the end of the rainy season, every plant was shining bright green.

7Qr50Ir.jpg

kT59snU.jpg

DSpetG0.jpg

We did a little BBQ last night. Cheers!

9FxS87M.jpg

Katsu

Attachments

• phzG9cu.jpg
    phzG9cu.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I've never been one for drinking much but this Maker's Mark could get to be a habit! It goes down so smooth it would be easy to get drunk!

Your nature park looks beautiful. Its good for the soul to get out of the city and into nature.

Your family looks very happy in the new garden. Makes me hungry too!

Great park and BBQ. Cheers!

Around here, the big fad seems to be Scotch. A lot of people I know belong to some Scotch club, or trade scotches with each other
Scotch seems to be more expensive that most other liqours so it carries a bit of status symbol with it among a lot of the sales people at my work

Me, I am happy with my Jack Daniels or Kraken Rum

I've never been one for drinking much but this Maker's Mark could get to be a habit! It goes down so smooth it would be easy to get drunk!

Your nature park looks beautiful. Its good for the soul to get out of the city and into nature.

Your family looks very happy in the new garden. Makes me hungry too!

Thanks! Ken-san.

I love the photos you made of the park, Katsu-san :D
And I'm glad the barbeque was a success! Cheers to life!

Thank you, George-san!
Anything you eat in a wind outside is good. Fresh air is the best seasoning!

Great park and BBQ. Cheers!

Around here, the big fad seems to be Scotch. A lot of people I know belong to some Scotch club or trade scotches with each other
Scotch seems to be more expensive than most other liquors so it carries a bit of status symbol with it among a lot of the salespeople at my work.

Me, I am happy with my Jack Daniels or Kraken Rum

Ahh... Scotch! It's a taste of heaven. Smokey flavor of peat moss. I love it.
Rum? Tequila? Oh, I love them too! Icy cold daiquiri or margarita in hot summer noon!
To express my great respect to the people in Kentucky, just don't forget the glass of mint julep.
That's another taste of heaven!

I tend to stick to (green) tea お茶, (green) ice tea and water :cautious:
Sorry guys...no whiskey drinker

Don't be sorry! George-san. If I grew up without knowing the tastes of liqueurs, I could have driven a brand new Corvette this year!
Instead, people call me the first officer of an Alcohol Patrol Squad.

Today, I tried to test build a tire.

yQ5cO2c.jpg

V1K4uRz.jpg

2obqJnk.jpg

nvNFVQy.jpg

jGTRgZ3.jpg

ulvjikP.jpg

ty48Vpw.jpg

emcEgT6.jpg

lnB28Xj.jpg

To me, it's not bad for the first attempt.
Maybe I can make it a bit more accurate.

And here's a clay model of LBT- Light Battle Tank.

YfosLIw.jpg

KMZdDGM.jpg

9V7o4gl.jpg

Hum, it might need a bit more tweak, too.

Thanks for looking!

The bottom half of the clay tank reminds me of an M1 Abrams hull. Gives me ideas......

Ken-san,

I was imaging the bottom half as M-1 Abrams and the upper turret reminds me MBT-70.
1595385767684.png

I think you knew it but MBT-70 was planned in the late '60 to '70. Very sophisticated project but was canceled due to several reasons.
I was an elementary school boy then and had looked forward to seeing this would be deployed. I was sorry about the cancelation but when I saw that M-1 Abrams in the early '80, I was crazy about it soon. But I never thought this was used till now.:unsure:

Totally, my LBT reminds me of a mini-van with the track. :lol:

1595385543201.png

My idea for this light tank is as follows.

Operated by 2 crews. Driver and gunner. Just like the F/A-18F Super Hornet.
There is no crew in the turret. The crews are positioned in the lower compartment with prone positioning side by side. Just like the automatic pistol, the turret is equipped with a modular ammunition magazine system and when it's out of ammo, just change the magazine quickly like an automatic pistol. The oblong port on the right side of the turret is the ejection port for the empty shell cases. The barrel contains the 120mm main cannon and co-axial 23mm chain gun system. That is my idea for now. I don't know when I can tackle this vehicle but imaging is fun to do.

If I have stimulated your imagination, maybe I should look forward to seeing your tank would be coming out for real. Because I knew you have a very good design sense of military vehicles and the aircrafts.

Katsu

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back