AA Summation for Newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense???? Plastic is plastic, when it's hot it's soft and maleable......when it cools it's rigid. No nonsense here. That's a fact jack! Not saying all plastics act identically, just saying they lose rigidity when heated.

Nonsense???? Plastic is plastic, when it's hot it's soft and maleable......when it cools it's rigid. No nonsense here. That's a fact jack! Not saying all plastics act identically, just saying they lose rigidity when heated.

Your posts are showing your ignorance of the subject matter.
Yes, thermoplastics do get softer when heated, but all have different 'plastic points' which refer to the window of time/temperature in which the plastic can be formed.
In regards to vac forming trooper helmets, whether it be out of styrene, abs, or hdpe, that window is very specific and would not allow one to either distort the plastic when being taken off the mold, and especially not after. Not without re-heating it.
As said before, if the plastic was still in it's plastic point when removed from the mold, it would distort but would also lose most of its detailing therefore creating an unusable part. And when I say unusable, I mean a super soft pull that barely resembles a trooper part.

Distortion of the plastic at the time of mold removal is not a factor when dealing with trooper helmets or armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the pieces come off the molds in exactly the same shape.

That is utter hog wash. Only VERY expensive mechanically or computer controlled machines can do that.

Certainly you don't believe that in 1976 a pond maker in England had that much control over that kind of process.

If you do you are beyond reason.

I think it's more like you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone with mediocre experience with vac forming could tell you.
What I said is very much the case.

I think most people are too used to making vac form parts out of their home ovens or something? :rolleyes
Hell, even then the parts would all be the same shape, just varying degrees of softness.

An industrial machine such as what AA used is very common. It doesn't have to be an automated machine and it couldn't be anyway because you have to hand remove every piece of armor.

BTW Mic, I don't think I've ever seen a thread where you made a prop. All I ever see from you are wise a$$ comments towards people. Anyone can do a search on your name to view your posts and they are all the same. Basicly trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back