A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes - Journey COMPLETE!!

No one/or should I say FEW within the larger group were willing to pay his price, and negotiations broke down and took longer and longer. The big three stepped in individually and worked their magic, and the rest is RPF history.

4 parts down, three to go

945772_506764589402818_1515911175_n.jpg

Her is mine,still at scott's house for the moment.

Re: A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes

I don't know what Chris & David said to Roy (the seller), but I tried to talk him down on the price. Gave him background on past sales. And kept the pressure on to give me an answer about individual sales as "the group" was taking too long to make a decision to buy or not.

I was very straight forward with Roy. I gave him some pricing history, but also gave a fair estimate for a total engine and the price breakdown.

I expressed interest from the beginning outside of the group, so when the group buy came up I let him know I was deferring to the group, but that I was a confirmed buyer either way. Once all the negotiating was over, he tore apart the engine, we paid, he shipped, and we all did a happy dance.

Now, if anyone wants a flame tube for an IG-88 head, let me know and I'll talk to Roy when he gets back from vacation. The tube, shipping and paypal fees will probablly add up, so only very interested parties should get in contact with me/him (i.e. this will be over $500 guaranteed).

Re: A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes

I was very straight forward with Roy. I gave him some pricing history, but also gave a fair estimate for a total engine and the price breakdown.

I expressed interest from the beginning outside of the group, so when the group buy came up I let him know I was deferring to the group, but that I was a confirmed buyer either way. Once all the negotiating was over, he tore apart the engine, we paid, he shipped, and we all did a happy dance.

Now, if anyone wants a flame tube for an IG-88 head, let me know and I'll talk to Roy when he gets back from vacation. The tube, shipping and paypal fees will probablly add up, so only very interested parties should get in contact with me/him (i.e. this will be over $500 guaranteed).

My side of things is fairly similar to Chris's... I had contact with Roy from before the group was formed and expressed my interest in the pipes and backed off once I found out that Scott was trying to coordinate a group buy - the main difference is that he never knew that I was a part of the "group" nor that I ever acknowledge that I was... I was just a very interested party.

In terms of my dealings with him, I tried to convey to him just how niche a market he was dealing with looking for these parts; just because it was sought after by Star Wars fans, it was only a very select few that would be interested and even fewer that would be willing/able to pay for such a piece.

But in the end I think it worked out for everyone involved including Roy. He got far more money for the pipes alone as opposed to what he would have gotten for the engine as a whole, and we involved all got arguably the rarest puzzle piece for a Star Wars grail prop for a fairly reasonable price!

So... anyone one have a spare grenade or sink knob or booster I can have.... anyone? Beulller? ;-)

So you guys basically scammed him. Not really something I'd brag about but to each his own.

I wouldn't say that. Our intentions of the group emailing him, were completely in line with negotiating the price and getting everyone in the same boat. Not everyone agreed, and the three people who contacted him separately did so on their own accord outside of the group. However, after being in the email chain of the group, they were kind enough to keep everyone privy of what was going on outside of my emails with Roy...

They couldn't progress without the buying power of numbers, and as the group we couldn't progress without a consensus or agreement on both sides with Roy..

So in the end... it all worked out.

They could have kept the extra balance pipes and ebay'd them... but they chose to share them with the rest of us who couldn't get it done en masse.

So you guys basically scammed him. Not really something I'd brag about but to each his own.

I wouldn't say that, he ended up with 3 times his asking price for the whole engine. He's laughing all the way to the bank with our money.

The deception was to get him to lower his price for each set of pipes.

When the group was interested in the engine, he had a price. When the group was interested in only the pipes, the price for one set was almost half what he wanted for the whole thing. Plus no one, us or him, knew if they were the correct ones.

The individual buyers were able to broker a deal for 3 sets of pipes for a reasonable price, higher then what he was offering the group for just one set but it was also more pipes each.

So yeah, he made triple his original asking price for the whole engine. I'd say he did okay.

All we did was successfully negotiate a lower price per pipe set.

Last edited:
I came back to him several times with prices people were willing to pay... and he would counter... and not everyone would agree on our end. Some were all for getting them at any price, but some were not willing to go past a certain dollar amount...

And Roy would NOT sell them without selling them ALL. He would not commit to dismantling the engine unless ALL were sold... and as the group could never get to that point... Roy devised his plan for his three outside interested parties... which he came up with a price as far as I understand it... all by himself.

That it happened to be lower than he was wanting from "the group" just so happened to work out for everyone who was lucky enough to get one.

He received much more than his original asking price and still can sell the flame tubes for quite a bit more to the right buyers.

I fail to see how trying to get to a reasonable price is a scam. He knew that I was in on the group buy and still quoted another price on the side. He wanted as much money as he could get and he got quite a bit with more to come. Everyone involved in the transaction is happy, the buyers and the seller. Not sure why the negativity is necessary.

Last edited:

Two points dbalschi:

#1: Seller was asking a fair amount in the beginning, but somehow he got wind what the pipes are used for... At that point the SELLER WENT BACK ON HIS WORD and increased the price on us.

#2 : THE SELLER STILL set the price for what the three individuals accepted. He was quite clear it was non-negotiable.

As far as the seller knows, he yanked the deal on the group to sell to someone else.

I wouldn't say that. Our intentions of the group emailing him, were completely in line with negotiating the price and getting everyone in the same boat. Not everyone agreed, and the three people who contacted him separately did so on their own accord outside of the group. However, after being in the email chain of the group, they were kind enough to keep everyone privy of what was going on outside of my emails with Roy...

They couldn't progress without the buying power of numbers, and as the group we couldn't progress without a consensus or agreement on both sides with Roy..

So in the end... it all worked out.

They could have kept the extra balance pipes and ebay'd them... but they chose to share them with the rest of us who couldn't get it done en masse.

Actually I'll make a slight correction to this... Roy actually contacted the three of us on his own accord outside of the group.

My last email correspondence with him prior to his offer was essentially telling him to keep me in mind and that I was interested if anything was to change in his negotiations with the group.

He emailed me directly with his offer stating that he had pulled his offer from the group and that he was making a final offer to interested parties with myself being among them.

The only "deception" really was that I shared this information with the rest of the group as opposed to keeping it in confidence as he requested.

My fear was he was trying to play the individual offers against the group offer in an effort to try and drive the price up as no mention had been made in the group emails announcing that the deal had been pulled.

It was happenstance that the other 'interested parties' that he had contacted were all a part of the group and stepped forward to proceed with finalizing the deal.

So there was no "scamming"... he made an offer and it was accepted... simple as that.

in fact here's a direct paste of the email in which he raised the price... AFTER I offered to buy all of the balance pipes alone for the price of his entire engine sale price (leaving other parts for sale or donation and a possible tax write off)

Hi Scott.

I'm afraid your offer is way off the mark. When I quoted £2500 that was with the lack of knowledge as to the market value these rare balance pipes are to Star Wars afficionados. I also now have a firm local offer for the engine as a running/exhibition piece which exceeds my original asking price.

Besides the great amount of work stripping the hot section, the pipes will attract a much higher premium now and I already have several people interested.

I would like to give you first opportunity so if you want to make a further more realistic offer for one set or more I would be prepared to consider same? Should I finally decide to part out, I advise that these will go to the highest bidder(s).

wow didn't know about it,not very kind from him,however we finally had them,and when I see one single balance pipe went for 2500$ in the past,I'm happy to have spent a little bit less than this.
I didn't even think to have one in the future!
Just to find a booster,and next step will be a fx reveal vintage obi saber!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back