A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes - Journey COMPLETE!!

So now's here's a thought ... when on the original prop the 'female' balance tube/pipe was used for the hero version hanging on Alec Guinness his belt... could they have used it's male counterpart for a stunt version of the same lightsaber, perhaps?

-Chaim

So now's here's a thought ... when on the original prop the 'female' balance tube/pipe was used for the hero version hanging on Alec Guinness his belt... could they have used it's male counterpart for a stunt version of the same lightsaber, perhaps?

-Chaim

I'm thinking: No. The stunt version of the saber was the one that became the Luke ROTJ v2. Unless of course you mean a stunt "belt hanger", and then, still No. As far as I know there was only ever one saber assembled from found parts at any time. While it appears the hero was at one point damaged or disassembled and reassembled, possibly with a different part or two, there was only one. There's no indication the "male" balance pipe was used at all... At least not for this saber. But I could be wrong.

This is simply amazing, wonderful and downright jaw dropping...NINE!?

How does one preserve incontel, do they rust with time?

Congrats, it's nice to see this prop re-created true to what we know (at least) :)

Insert Yoda voice here : 'There is another ... Rolls Royce Jet Eng... ine ... in Texas ... with probably 9 balance tubes/pipes on board ...' perhaps another quest for this holy of holy grails for those who missed out on the previous deal?

-Chaim

thd9791, of the 3 sets of balance pipes that were shipped to me only 1 has the smallest spot of rust. I haven't tried to clean it, as that's the one for James Kenobi 1138. And he wants it as is, but I think it'll come off pretty easily.

As promised, here are some pics of one "cleaned" up :

rbpcln1

rbpcln2

rbpcln3

God that's a thing of beauty. Brings a tear to the eye.

The natural way the black 'swirls' on the outer tube is so difficult to replicate.

Here's a steel replica I did a few years ago.

FS064-vi.jpg

Last edited:
thd9791, of the 3 sets of balance pipes that were shipped to me only 1 has the smallest spot of rust. I haven't tried to clean it, as that's the one for James Kenobi 1138. And he wants it as is, but I think it'll come off pretty easily.

As promised, here are some pics of one "cleaned" up

Hey Roman,

How did you clean your pipes? I'm leery of just using soap and water for fear of drying out the metal and causing rust issues down the line... I was thinking of just using some Canola oil and an old rag just to wipe off all of the loose surface grime...

What are the rest of you guys planning to do with yours?

- - - Updated - - -

So guys, what's next ... the Texas based RR Derwent Jet-engine ... that I noticed on ebay since early january?

... since I used my hardearned cash for star wars celebration europe 2, in stead of this BP ... I'm still looking
for it ... unless I may decide to trade one of your BP's for my extra vintage AS handwheel, which I purchased
from Kurtyboy and thus is worth 1 BP + 1 Booster + 1 Bearing Cone! Hmmm, decisions, decisions,decisions!

-Chaim

I wasn't in on this one, though I have seen the eBay ad... are you guys sure that the pipes are accurate on this one? I know that the display Derwent that was in Ontario, Canada that was on eBay turned out to be a wild goose chase...

Last edited:
Hey Roman,

How did you clean your pipes? I'm leery of just using soap and water for fear of drying out the metal and causing rust issues down the line... I was thinking of just using some Canola oil and an old rag just to wipe off all of the loose surface grime...

Hey Dave,

At first I used soap and water also, but that didn't get it as clean as I wanted. So I used my Dremel with an 'Abrassive Buff Wheel". That did the trick!
Then I sprayed it with WD40 last night just in case the leftover soap and water had any ideas :lol Still have to go to the garage and wipe it off.

r19880v15.jpg

Hey Dave,

At first I used soap and water also, but that didn't get it as clean as I wanted. So I used my Dremel with an 'Abrassive Buff Wheel". That did the trick!
Then I sprayed it with WD40 last night just in case the leftover soap and water had any ideas :lol Still have to go to the garage and wipe it off.

http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/files/r19880v15.jpg

Same thing here. But I just buffed the crud out inside so it would fit on my cone.

After washing I used acetone to dry up all the water. And compressed air.

I didn't scrub to too hard. Just finger pressure for the loose stuff. I wanted the inner ring of holes to stay dark.

I didn't coat it or anything. No extra rust.

I only dremmel buffed inside. The burnt on fuel was thick.

I only hand washed gently the outside.

I made my cone adapters to fit on a Russ emitter (I got about a dozen from him for projects), but they do not fit on these balance pipes we just got. :(

So I'll be trimming down all my adapters to fit these pipes. If anyone is having the same problem and needs one let me know.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back