A Junk Tardis from Junk

Robajob

The starting point for this entire build was a little toy keyboard that my son just happened to have in his toy collection, the exact same keyboard used on the real thing in the episode “The Doctor’s Wife” that he had spotted.
So after a few attempts of making a Tardis Console out of the available furniture in the house as well as his toys, the request was made for me to build him a console.
As with most of the things Dr Who, that I have built, the initial build was inspired, affected and requested by my son, in this instance the request was no small one, his very own Junk Tardis Console.
This request was huge, massive, wapping, at least in comparison to the usual request for a toy/model that he could use with his Dr Who 5” action figures.
I was going to say that this request was so big that it felt almost unscalable, but that would be absolutely wrong, because in this instance the scale was exactly 1:1.
Having purchased the 5​" character options Junk Tardis toy set for him, all I had to do now was make sure that everything about this Junk Tardis Console matched the toy, including it being able to be taken to pieces, just like the toy and make it from something lightweight so that it could be moved around, especially as I am neither a Doctor nor a Timelord and haven't quite got to grips with quantum physics, yet!
Oh did I mention that my son had stated that obviously it had to have lights, working controls and look just like the real thing.
So a junk Tardis from junk, cardboard and insulation foam, so it was all lightweight, moveable, comes to pieces and lights up, no problem, GULP!
I hope you like the results.

First up, some distance shots;
1. Left 20180409_203004.jpg2. Left Under Blinking 20180409_204848.jpg3. Under Centre 20180410_213217.jpg4. Right 20180408_210940.jpg5. Panels Beauty Detail Birds Eye  20180410_215630.jpg

Some Panel Detail Shots;
6. Panel 1 Radar.jpg7. Panel 2 Radio + Iris.jpg8. Detail Panel 2 Gauges + Radio.jpg9. Panel 3 Monitor.jpg
10. Panel 4 Keyboard + Radiator.jpg11. Panel 4 Plasma.jpg12. Panel 5 Access Hatch.jpg13. Panel 6 Answer Machine.jpg
14. Time Rotor.jpg15. Panel 1 Light Panel.jpg

And like I said earlier, it all had to come to pieces, including the removable Time Rotor and revealing the light panel, just like the toy.
16. Time Rotor Out.jpg17. Time Rotor Out Panel Out.jpg

A few Atmospheric Shots;
18. Atmospheric Left.jpg19. Atmospheric Left Light Panel.jpg20. Atmospheric Centre Down.jpg21. Atmospheric Light Panel.jpg

And finally a detailed video showing some of the features;

1. Left 20180409_203004.jpg

2. Left Under Blinking 20180409_204848.jpg

3. Under Centre 20180410_213217.jpg

4. Right 20180408_210940.jpg

5. Panels Beauty Detail Birds Eye  20180410_215630.jpg

6. Panel 1 Radar.jpg

7. Panel 2 Radio + Iris.jpg

8. Detail Panel 2 Gauges + Radio.jpg

9. Panel 3 Monitor.jpg

10. Panel 4 Keyboard + Radiator.jpg

11. Panel 4 Plasma.jpg

12. Panel 5 Access Hatch.jpg

13. Panel 6 Answer Machine.jpg

14. Time Rotor.jpg

15. Panel 1 Light Panel.jpg

16. Time Rotor Out.jpg

17. Time Rotor Out Panel Out.jpg

18. Atmospheric Left.jpg

19. Atmospheric Left Light Panel.jpg

20. Atmospheric Centre Down.jpg

21. Atmospheric Light Panel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A Junkyard Tardis from Junk

Now that is a product of a Father's love!
You did a very good match to the set prop- it the musical keyboard the 'seed crystal' that stared it all?

Now that is a product of a Father's love!
You did a very good match to the set prop- it the musical keyboard the 'seed crystal' that stared it all?

@Richard Baker; Hi Richard, Thank you so much for your comment, it is very much appreciated.
I am very pleased that you think I achieved a good match to the original set prop and yes, the musical keyboard was most definitely the 'seed crystal' that started it all.

Wouldn't this technically be a "Studio Scale Model"? :)

Technically, as no actual dimensions have ever been released, I am not sure if this is studio scale, hence posting in general modelling.
If I have posted this in the incorrect place, then I am sure that the moderators of the site will amend,

Last edited:

Technically, as no actual dimensions have ever been released, I am not sure if this is studio scale, hence posting in general modelling.
If I have posted this in the incorrect place, then I am sure that the moderators of the site will amend,
What r the dimensions of the panels

What r the dimensions of the panels
Hi Franco,
I have attached a drawing that I made indicating the panel sizes and dimensions.

000. Prelim.jpg

This is from a build thread for this build on Tardis Builders, here is the link: Junk Tardis
It covers all the aspects of the build with drawings, photos and video, hope it is of some help. Rob.

Hi Franco,
I have attached a drawing that I made indicating the panel sizes and dimensions.

View attachment 1411281
This is from a build thread for this build on Tardis Builders, here is the link: Junk Tardis
It covers all the aspects of the build with drawings, photos and video, hope it is of some help. Rob.
Hi I'm so sorry for the delay not replying back nearly 2 years no excuse, thank u so much for this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back