A Bill Doran PDK Blaster Fail at the Eleventh Hour.

Bluewinters21

I had recently started working on a Bill Doran PDK Blaster build. The project went well up until the very end. I went to glue the last piece onto the blaster when the Super Glue container blew-up in my hand and poured all over the build. It was a big Super Glue mess all over the nice stainless steel finish that I had worked so hard to achieve. >.<

The Parts Mid Print.
PDK_B_Project_1.jpg

The Completed Print Lay Out.
PDK_B_Project_2.jpg

Test Fitting the Parts.
PDK_B_Project_3.jpg

PDK_B_Project_4.jpg

PDK_B_Project_5.jpg

PDK_B_Project_6.jpg

PDK_B_Project_7.jpg

PDK_B_Project_8.jpg

PDK_B_Project_9.jpg

Primed For Paint.
PDK_B_Project_10.jpg

PDK_B_Project_11.jpg

Painted Parts Before Buff and Polish.
If you buff this paint with an old white cotton T-Shirt, between two and three hours after painting, the luster will go from chrome to stainless. Depending on the surface prep, it can look matte, brushed, or gloss. If polished too much, that stainless will fade to aluminum. Sadly, I don't have pictures of what it looked like after I polished each part. It looked really nice!
PDK_B_Project_16.jpg

Textured and Weathering Proofs.
Here are some pictures of other paints that I tryed out before going with the stainless one.
PDK_B_Project_12.jpg

PDK_B_Project_13.jpg

PDK_B_Project_14.jpg
PDK_B_Project_15.jpg

Settling for Black After the Mishap.
Since I ran out of the stainless steel paint, I went with black.
PDK_B_Project_17.jpg
PDK_B_Project_18.jpg
PDK_B_Project_19.jpg
PDK_B_Project_20.jpg

Last edited:
What was the stainless steel paint you were using?
Some no-name local hardware store blend. I have tried a lot of different paints to get a plastic part to look stainless. This one comes the closes when buffed with a white cotton T-shirt after two hours of set-up time. I wish that I had some pictures to post, but the hardware store that sells the stuff won't be open until this virus stuff blows over.

Last edited:
Wow, that must've really hurt with the superglue, but now you're the owner of a unique (and super cool) PDK blaster!

Thanks for the compliment. The super glue incident did hurt. I’ve never had that happen before.

As for the prop, sadly, this blaster is going to a good friend of mine. I hate parting with something that I spent so much time and money on, but I owe a debt of gratitude and good friends are worth keeping happy.

Bluewinters21 - can you share your process for the first two examples in your Textured and Weathering Proofs? They have the look I have been struggling to capture.

Sorry for the late reply.

I) started out with Rust-Oleum Filler Primer: High Build Formula. (Let it cure until just dry to the touch or slightly tacky.)

2) I then shot it with Krylon Short Cuts: Gloss Black. (Let it cure until just dry to the touch, but LESS than twenty-four hours.)

3) Next comes the Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome. (Let it cure until just dry to the touch, but LESS than an hour.)

4) Lastly, Use just the overspray of Krylon Matte Finish. Just mist in on around the edges of where you want it. If you spray it directly on the part, the whole part will turn brown. Where ever the Matte finish particles land seems to etch the paint a little leaving a neat three dimensional rust look.

The Paint will take at least three days to cure, but you should put in any scratches or weathering on in the first twenty-four hours. I also recommend wiping it down with a white cotton T-shirt to take the shine off after the Matte Finish is dry to the touch.

I cannot express the Golden Rule enough here… ALWAYS TEST ON SCRAP!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back