A Batman Begins Batarang Christmas - 12-14-2012 - Finished

RiggsMcClane

I wanted to do a little something as a christmas gift for my little cousin and the one or two friends who were into comics as much as me. I also wanted to challenge myself a tiny bit by hand sculpting something I'd only seen 3D printed.

Here I just took a chunk of warm clay and began pressing it into the proper thickness.
BBrangdepth.jpg

Then I cut it down to the basic shape.
BBrangshape.jpg

Following that I began making it a bit more accurate. Symmetry needs some work but I'm well on my way.
BBrangsculpt.jpg

Last edited:
Re: A Batman Begins Batarang Christmas

Looks good. For some reason when i see batman and Christmas i hear Mark Hamill's Joker singing "Jingle Bells" lol

I'll be doing resin versions to paint and maybe cold cast brass a bit later. Just having fun with it for now.

Looks good. For some reason when i see batman and Christmas i hear Mark Hamill's Joker singing "Jingle Bells" lol

I do the same thing. I nearly titled the thread after it. rofl

I did a down and dirty mold to get a prototype.

BBrangmold.jpg

I took out any tool marks or dings. Evened up a few spots Centerline is slightly off, left wings needs shaping, then some work on the head and shoulder area. Then it's ready for the final mold.

BBrangwork.jpg

Re: A Batman Begins Batarang Christmas - 12-12-2012

Well, taking out the Joker or the Penguin will be a breeze now! Below are the first few castings from the freshly made mold. Accompanying them is the finalized version of the previously molded rang. More alterations were made since the last update including a finer seam line and appropriate wing span.

BBrangfinished.jpg

You'll have to forgive the crap paint job. I had some trouble with the airbrush and just didn't feel like messing with it all night. :lol

BBrangpainted.jpg

I'm really happy with how these came out and especially how clean they pour. They need next to no trimming and the only real sanding will be to flatten out the backside a bit. I consider the project done now and will be making up a few to share. Hope you guys like em as well.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back