5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Thanks much all!! Should have some pics with Decals in a few days. Happy to discover I have a LOT of the decals needed, some old ones absolutely crumbled or rolled back off, but am working through it and making great progress. Amazing what just some decals do to finish this thing off and start making it really come to life.

Looking at these pics, i actually, involuntarily, let loose the longest line of expletives ever......

The most incredible build i've EVER seen!

Rich

amazing modelling and painting skills, as jaitea mentioned, at the primer stage it looked stunning, I would have frozen then for 6 months afraid to touch it. Stunning. And thank you again for sharing the progress, a real mile marker for other 5 foot builds

Thanks very much Everyone!! Much appreciated!! Very kind comments all around.
Here's a few updates with the decals applied. Almost all needed decals are now down on the top/sides. The sharp eyed crowd out there will see just a couple missing that I'm working on getting. Overall, it's awesome to see some of the original decals restored here. HUGE Thanks to Craig Underwood and Mike Reis for hooking me up with some key decals! Still have a bunch to do on the underside, but she's getting there.

Decal1.jpg
Decal2.jpg
Decal3.jpg
Decal4.jpg
Decal5.jpg
Decal6.jpg
Decal7.jpg
Decal8.jpg
Decal9.jpg
Decal10.jpg

It's stunning how the smaller details just add to the effect - it's like there's an inverse correlation between the scale of added detail and the impact of the overall effect in making the model 'pop' and come to life.

Are you going to try to add the modelers' initials in the various hidden places as well?

Dan

Superb paintjob, t2sides.
I was just wondering about your base coat, you mentioned way back that you were thinking of using AS-20, did you go with that?
I like that shade of red you went with too

Thanks very much! It's amazing how much detailing is still left to do (small weathering and such), and I still have to get back to the bottom, add all the little rectangles and more washes and weathering, and all the decals under there....Every time I think I'm almost done... More and more...

Are you going to try to add the modelers' initials in the various hidden places as well?
Dan

Like these? :)
Dry2.jpg

Dry1.jpg

I put mine down where Joe Johnston's went, and Mary Lind's spot has my Wife! (She's a Saint, so she deserves this spot!)

I plan to replace the original model builder names with a few folks that have been key to this project.

Superb paintjob, t2sides.
I was just wondering about your base coat, you mentioned way back that you were thinking of using AS-20, did you go with that?
I like that shade of red you went with too

Thanks David3!
Nope, AS-20 was too 'cool' of a color at this scale. Believe it or not, what really seemed to nail it was after the black primer, laying down Rustoleum Automotive Sandable Primer (This one is a warm white, other Rustoleum/Primers are too cool also). This stuff goes down very nicely and smooth, and if it does get rough (dry before contact), easily sands down without blemish. But, it's a really good base off-white.
The KEY to getting the overall warm color though is creating transparent layers, primarily lightly coating everything with Floquil Grime, heavier and lighter in appropriate places, then accenting with some other 'filters', like thinned down grays/gray-browns, etc. The red was using Floquil Reds, but needing to 'customize' them until the right hue was achieved. When this thing is all done, I'll get it professionally photographed, as the iPhone pics are always way off than the actual color of my replica.
Hope this helps.
upload_2019-2-11_20-38-31.png

Yes, thankyou, cheers!
It looks that good i thought you might have used ArchiveX.
I have 2 Falcons on my bench, the bandai & deago. The bandai is such a phenomenal replica of the 5' I want to do it justice with the best paint job i can give it, the rustoleum however might not be the best at 1/72 scale so will have to experiment. Although I wanted to convert the deago as much as i could to a 1/2scale 5' I realize now, unfortunately, it will never be that, but its been so much fun to work on I have other plans in mind now for that baby.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back