40" 1/2 ISD scratchbuilt [Painted !] updates 10/21

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by MonsieurTox, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Hello all. I'm new here, but maybe some of you saw me on an other board !

Here are some pics of my second scratchbuilt project (after my 32" MF) : a 40" 1/2 (103 cm) Super Destroyer I start on June.

I hope you'll like it and let me know if you have questions !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the pics can be found here : http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h203/monsieurtox/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

My goodness... Your work is wonderful. The initial lighting on the ISD is just beautiful.

3. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tox I have been following your progress over at the SSM. She is looking awesome and welcome to the RPF

Greg

4. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW.. That looks awesome.

5. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Tox,..

DUUUUUUUUUDE.

GREAT WORK...

6. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

:confused That is absolutely...Incredible, for lack of a better word. The detail is amazing. Are those the original models they used? Where did you find the blueprints? Sorry for all the questions, but your Star Destroyer is fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. That's a lot of work you've done since June. :thumbsup

Bill

P.S. I just saw the deflector domes you scratchbuilt on your main page. Most impressive.

7. REL

REL Sr Member

Very nice work. That shuttlebay is excellent.

8. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

That looks great. Can't wait to see it finished.

Good size too, allows for lots of great detail.

Please keep posting updates.

9. GDafi

GDafi Sr Member

That is great, and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product :thumbsup

10. MonsieurTox

<div class='quotetop'>(kevoris @ Jul 18 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]1282940[/snapback]</div>

Hello .
    No they are not the original models cuz mine is not SS, she's about 1/2 scale. But for example, I used a 1/72 Mathilda on the bridge (they used the 1/35 one).
    I don't use blueprints, I get some values from LeeJustin for the basic shape of the hull (angles of the ribs etc...)

I'am actually working on the hangar bay lightning.

Thanks you all . =)

Tox

11. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any chance we can get this as a kit later down the road?

12. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Unless you live in an Really big house - you're absolutely crazy - where are you going to display that ... wonderful peice of artwork :D

Jedi Dade

13. Watson

The Star Destroyer is probably my "Grail" model. I have wanted to build one for so long. I should do something about that. Hmmmmm

JDH

14. MonsieurTox

<div class='quotetop'>(streetjudge79 @ Jul 18 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]1283006[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I don't have the skills to cast big parts... And the model are not designed to be casted :/

Lol Jedi Dade, that's the problem :p My girl friend is mad cuz I want to display it on the living room with the MF . And I don't plan to stop after the ISD... I'm thinking about some other projects... (Outrider, Sandcrawler, Lambda Shuttle, to complete my DS... hehe :D)

JDH, you should build this model . She is very easy to build (more than the MF), and the detailling part is very cool . :p

15. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>(MonsieurTox @ Jul 18 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]1283047[/snapback]</div>
    You know I may have to do that :angel

16. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(streetjudge79 @ Jul 18 2006, 04:49 AM) [snapback]1283006[/snapback]</div>
    Not that this probably hasn't been thought of being done by many, but...

A kit... of a huge... Star Destroyer... I WOULD BE ON BOARD FOR THAT FOR SURE...

Your "Grail" is truly a dream for many.... one of mine as well. I had 3 planned for 07,... the Devestator,.. The Executor,.. and a Republic Star Destroyer with the red stripe paint scheme. The first two I have put on hold do to the enormous complexity of the Studio Scale DSII project ... so having someone do a kit??? :confused This is a no brainer for me... :D Gotta have one. :D Even at 1/2 scale she's a beauty..

Tox,.. if someone stepped up to the plate to kit it out and cast your SD,.. would you consider that and share the love?. :) I am not saying someone will, but would you consider allowing it? :confused Of course then you will run into the rivet counters with your accuracy then,.. but that seems common to boards.

This is a very interesting thread to me.

17. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Stunning bro, simply stunning, your far too modest in our past conversations J, i was blown away by your falcon, your ISD just floors me and i bow down to pay homage lol. Gotta say guys i been talking to Tox for a while now, ive never met a more modest and humble guy with so much talent, and believe me he works very fast and has a bevy of projects on his bench, i can only hope he shows more of his stunning work, Y wing soon eh bro lol. On the ISD subject, ill just send the brim trenches J, you can determine there usage, as ill never get round to building one at that size, ill get them in the mail before i go on vacation.

18. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Very nice work indeed. I can't wait to see more.

19. MonsieurTox

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 18 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]1283074[/snapback]</div>
    Lol Kuhn, no I'm not a rivet counters guy :p Mainly with the ISD... It's not studioscale, I never could re create all details seen of the real prop :p
    I would be very glad if it was possible to cast her and very happy if I'd see the ISD on your museum :p But it's impossible to cast her, there is too many undercuts, loot at the hangar bay, it's impossible to cast it... impossible too to cast the bridge... Lot of parts would be broken with the making of the mold :(

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jul 18 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1283102[/snapback]</div>
    Hey bro... I don't what to say... you're making me blush . :p
    I met Lee on the SSM board. He was the first person who talked to me... He always helped me with advice and more (he knows what =) ). When my FM will be complete, I'll paint -instead of the ILM modelmaker's names- mine and his name .
    When I check my emails, I'm always glad to see a word from him . I consider him as a real friend (I love talk with him, not only about Star Wars models, but lot of other things .). That he didn't say, that is his work is better than mine . I saw amazing models made by him . It is when I saw work like yours, Lee, that I want to continue my models .
    Regarding the Y-wing bro, I guess the first complete will be not mine :p I don't know when I will make her, at the moment I'm collecting the kits to do it .

Thanks Lee .

20. Watson

<div class='quotetop'>(MonsieurTox @ Jul 18 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1283179[/snapback]</div>

Tox what you could do, depending on how far along you are, you could mold the parts that you are going to use before you attach them to the model. Or even cast groups of parts together before adding other parts that will cause undercuts. It may take more time, but you could theoretically re-create a SD whenever you want.

Greg

21. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MonsieurTox @ Jul 18 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1283047[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I don't have the skills to cast big parts... And the model are not designed to be casted :/

Lol Jedi Dade, that's the problem :p My girl friend is mad cuz I want to display it on the living room with the MF . And I don't plan to stop after the ISD... I'm thinking about some other projects... (Outrider, Sandcrawler, Lambda Shuttle, to complete my DS... hehe :D)

JDH, you should build this model . She is very easy to build (more than the MF), and the detailling part is very cool . :p
    [/b][/quote]

Aaaaah Just hang it over the bed... She won't get mad... :eek

In my house that thing would be grounds for divorce - even though my wife would really like it - she'd flip if I kept it in the livingroom... As it is I'm slowly usurping one of the upstairs bedrooms as my office /display room - she's figured out that this is what I'm doing but hasn't taken steps to stop me yet :thumbsup

The model is fantastic and you have a lot of guts to build it.

Jedi Dade

22. MonsieurTox

Hehe Jedi Dade .
    At the moment I leave at my parent's home cuz I just finished studying last month :p It's not a problem yet, but I have to find a large house :(

JDH : Now it's too late, that's my last vacation and I want to do a lot of progress on her, and it would be very long to do a mold for each part :/

Here some progress :

The real prop :

[​IMG]

Mine :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ralphee said I work very fast but I don't know if it's right lol... This area took me about 10 hours to be complete :/ 60 parts to make it .

23. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

The ISD still remains my fave ship in the Star Wars Saga....this build looks like you're going to capture that StarDestroyer feel perfectly.

Rich

24. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Very very very outstanding work man..

25. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

God that looks like fun.

26. MonsieurTox

Hello .

The bridge is almost complete, tomorrow I will put a coat of surface primer on it.

Here some pics :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

Wow thats starting to look great.

Keep us updated.

28. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Tox, how much to build me one??

29. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Wow. [image]http://rogue74.nt3.npsis.com/emoticons/omg.gif[/image]

30. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I don't say this often but....fawwwwwwwwwwwkkkkk.

Tox.

You're a model-making machine.

Fawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkk. :D

31. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Man, your work is OUTSTANDING. Gives me chills. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Robert :)

32. MonsieurTox

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words =)

Here some pics after the first coat of surface primer :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the shadows of all the greeblies . But the pics don't give justice to the model :(

Apophis, hmmmm I guess $2300 or $2800 for the Admiral Piett Signature, + $600 shipping if you don't live in my country .

Hehe J/K. But I'm sure if I would build one, the price will not be cheap :(

I'm sorry but I don't have time to do another ISD. I'm building this one for a fanfilm, and I have lot of other models to do (YT 2400, lambda shuttle, some droids, Y wing, Z-65 headhunter etc... I don't know if I will do all this models lol).

Anyway, thanks =)

33. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Amazing job. :thumbsup

34. Watson

Amazing Tox she is looking beautiful

35. REL

REL Sr Member

Wow this is getting better and better. Awesome job.

36. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

The pics after you primed the bridge make it look very sharp. That's a helluva impressive model.

Keep up the good work and even better updates.

Bruce

37. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Apophis, hmmmm I guess $2300 or $2800 for the Admiral Piett Signature, + $600 shipping if you don't live in my country .

Hehe J/K. But I'm sure if I would build one, the price will not be cheap

Thats okay, i was just boosting your ego a little bit more. i would rather build my own, but yours is very impressive.. to say the least, and am envious at your workmanship.

38. MonsieurTox

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Jul 28 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]1289501[/snapback]</div>

Hello Apophis, you know, the only thing I'm doing is do the same thing that ILM did with the 32".
    Just doing a facsimile of a bigger model, I think all people can do it, the only thing we need is time and patience .
    If you build one and need some advice, let me know I would be glad to help you .

39. MonsieurTox

Some new pics of the 'neck'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I should add light in the hangar when I build it :/

40. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

That's looking excellent...
    I saw your Falcon over on Starshipmodeler, and this is equally amazing. You really do great work.

I think you should make little bits of garbage to come floating out, along with a tiny Slave I. :lol

41. MonsieurTox

<div class='quotetop'>(superjedi @ Jul 29 2006, 01:19 AM) [snapback]1289896[/snapback]</div>

Excellent idea Superjedi . I will make a slave one and a Falcon in scale with the ISD .

I did not a lot of progress this week end :(

But I did this small parts : a reproduction of a Morser Karl part (1/72 Hasegawa), used on the both side of the neck.

This part is about 1/2,25 the size of the original part (my ISD scale is 1/2,36 studio scale, but it was better to use 1/2,25 for this small part).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will cast it for the other side.

42. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Very nice. thank you for the offer on the help. I will refer to your posts when I start on mine..

43. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

TOX....

HOLY MOLY... YOU are a MASTER MACHINE.... UNREAL...

I know this isn't Studio Scale,... but you have me seriously thinking about that $2300 price quote a few responses earlier.. Admiral Piett Signature?? Do tell please? What country would you be shipping from? France?

I mean....OK.. I am going there...... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE...

44. MonsieurTox

Yes she's not studio scale, really too big lol I think I should get tooooooon of kits to details a studio scale ISD 2 :D
    And it would be too big to put in the living room lol

I think this one could be almost in scale with the studioscale ISD 1 . It would be nice to get the both ISD together .

Maybe one day I will do another one and I sell her .

She could be get a nice place near your DS II :D

Anyway thanks =)

I can't post pics of the progress this month since my parents have taken the camera :(

45. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Not to hijack your thread, but we gotta get that DS II built first. I'm excited..but I'm also cautiously optimistic. Waiting till March is turning out to be torture, but it can't be helped.

I need room to build it and Kurt will need room to put that big-azz ball AND any Star Destroyers which may be on the horizon.

But as far as your SD...

I'll say it again: FAWWWWWWWK. :D

46. MonsieurTox

Hehe no problem, I'm very interested by the DS II project and I can't wait to see pics of her .
    A long time to wait lol
    I saw your surface painting tests and they are really nice, this model will rock .

*hides his 40 cm diameter DS* lol

47. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Don't hide it. :D

Thanks for the compliments on the tests. They were fairly easy, being on flat pieces of cardboard or plexi.

We'll see how much more difficult it will get on a curvature. And that exposed incomplete internal deck detail will be tedious and tough.

I decided to take the link to the DSII blog out of my sig, since project start is still 6 months away. No sense linking to something that isn't going to be updated till then.

I now return the floor to you, my SD-building friend.

48. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Yeah J, lets see some more of that big sucker, you cant take too long a break lol :p

49. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Very Kewl TOX.

Yeah... March is a bit to wait to start on the DSII. Bob (HandSolo) and I are just finishing the planning of, and agreeing on, the budget for it. LOL...

Now back to your talents...

I well appreciate the hard work you're placing into this 41" Beastie and know that doing another would tax one's patience. LOL... So.... my bottom line is that I think your work is AWSOME and I would SOMEDAY love to own one of your large scale SD's. There is no rush and it would be a wonderful thing to add in the future. So let's keep in contact, eh? :p

Europe is a place I have never been. I was due to go on tour there during this summer and my plans got changed to Russia instead. When I am able to go to Europe, and take time,.. I would like very much to meet you in person if possible? Being shown France by someone who lives there would be a hugely better experience as well. LOL. Plus,.. I am a HUGE Disney fan and that is one, of course, I haven't been to..lol. I am just a big kid I guess... and a major sci fi and fantasy geek to boot. LOL. In addition,.. to see that 41" Beastie you're building in person, ... that would just make my day. :D

You have some REAL talent dude. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for sharing your talent with us. You're an inspiration.

50. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I too would one day like to meet Julien hes become a good buddy and we keep in contact regularly, hell hes such a likable guy lol,i wanna see the falcon myself, France is so close to me, hey lets arrange a geeks day out in Montesson hehe. Did you get the parts yet J ?