F-86F-40 Sabre Blue Impulse - Hasegawa 1/48

JNordgren42

Sr Member
When I finished my Final Countdown Tomcat this summer, I sent some pics to my brother and he showed them to my nephew. Who promptly said "I wish I had that!" So, being the awesome uncle that I am, I decided to build him a fighter jet of his own. I wanted something with undeniable cool factor that also didn't have too many small bits to break off (he's 10, and I don't expect any 10 year old NOT to fly a jet around and make "woosh!" noises. ). I also wanted to pay homage to both his Japanese and American heritage (my brother and I are from the U.S. and my sister in law is from Japan). I found the perfect subject in the 1:48 Hasegawa F-86F-40 Sabre from the Japanese Blue Impulse demonstration team. It's a classic jet with gorgeous lines, and the bright white, blue, and orange paint scheme with a touch of bare metal is a head turner. As a bonus, our grandfather worked for North American Aviation, and later Rockwell International when they merged, so there is a family connection there too. I painted all the markings except for the lettering and stencils, and I had to pull out every trick I had to get it done, using Tamiya tape, flexible tape, vinyl mask, and even liquid mask for some spots. I used Mr. Color and Alclad II throughout. I also fabricated a custom stand out of 1/4 clear acrylic. I don't like drilling holes in a model, so I came up with a scheme using some stainless steel rod to clip it in.

It's not perfect, but I'm really happy with how it came out, and more importantly, I think it's going to make a little boy extremely happy.

1000015047.jpg

1000015049.jpg

1000015057.jpg

1000015061.jpg

1000015062.jpg

1000015064.jpg

1000015028.jpg

1000014227.jpg

1000014226.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone!

There was a little debacle with shipping, it got held up in the San Antonio, TX USPS postal annex (that seems to be a problem node in the USPS network, I had two other packages get held up there), and didn't make it to the vacation home they were staying at over Christmas. Thankfully we got it sorted out and it arrived Saturday without any damage. My nephew absolutely loves it!

Indeed! The Blue Impulse scheme fits the Sabre's shape very well too, quite attractive!

Lucky 10 year old. Next, send him a kit to build and get 'em hooked!
;^)

Regards, Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back