Saturn V (Apollo 10) reference request

ID10T

Sr Member
Hi guys.

I don’t actually know why I’m starting this thread- I barely have time for meals let alone fine modeling… but I bought the Revel Apollo 11 Saturn V model at Hobby Lobby recently (they had a big discount sale for some reason and it was quite cheap).

Anyway, I met General Stafford who was commander on A10, and I think the A11 model will easily become the A10 model since they did everything but touch down on the moon during 10. It was really great talking with Tom and as of last year he was still active at NASA at like 91 years old!!!

Anyway, I have a few confirmed A10 photos and an A7 in orbit. Basically I’m looking for good color interior photos before stack, so I can get the colors right. Many of these models are built with zinc chromate on the interior- which is my first thought too- but the A7 in orbit shows more of a gray color inside. That color could have changed along the line too… Coupling rings appear tan but may be cadmium plated. I can’t really tell with what little I have.

If you other space nerds could dig through your photo collections and see what you have on A10 I would appreciate it. As I said it may be a while before I get moving but I certainly don’t have time to do it over again!

IMG_0367.jpeg

A10 rolling out

IMG_0369.jpeg

A10 CSM and LM pre-stack

IMG_0370.jpeg

A10 stacking

IMG_0368.jpeg

A7 in orbit. LM normally rides in this open space but A7 didn’t carry a LM. Door interiors appear gray; maybe gray-green but not the typical zinc chromate green…

Looking closely at the open doors, there is a (brown?) sealer on the interior panel seams and around applied objects... No ide if that carried on to later rockets or not yet... Just making notes...

Based on other photos, I think the LM compartment doors are perhaps fiberglass and that’s why they are gray inside…

I'm thinking they are metallic but not sure what alloy they would be. They look kind of bronze in colour, perhaps a plating or paint process. Maybe cadmium. Perhaps more likely an alodine treatment.
It could also be a result of heat treatment.

Zinc chromate would certainly have been used for some of these structures. But selectively. Paint would add significant weight to the overall rocket which would likely be avoided where possible.

Your thread sparked my curiosity.
I found a good series of video's by NASA back in the day, named the Apollo Digest. They gives some clues at to the colours and finishes of the various stages and components.

Here is one of them.

Good luck with the model!

It also depends when it was built as they made changes to the design in many ways over the life of the platform.

It would not surprise me at all to find the doors were originally aluminum or magnesium to then change to fiberglass panels later. But I do t know.

Last edited:
They are closed until earth orbit, I believe, then opened to extract the LM via the CSM. Then the CSM/LM assembly burn for lunar injection.

The stage then falls to earth burning up during reentry (or sent to a solar orbit- but I think it's the LM that ends up around the sun?)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back