Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Despite being in Mexico currently, I am able about once per week to update and correct any missing links. So if you are still having a technical issue accessing the folder, please PM me. To the best of my current knowledge, all subscribers have access.
Other than these exchanges I have no info or access to any folder or corresponding email to any folder. Not in my direct folder, junk folder or spam folder. This is the only place I get any info from...

Scott

Subscribers,

Here is an update for you all:

1. I am on sabbatical and out of the country until January 12, so won´t be adding anything new before then.
2. This is a HUGE project, and will take years to complete.
3. My initial impression was that the scanner would do all of the work - I was wrong. RAW scans are not printer-ready .stl files.
4. My second impression was that skilled RPFers would volunteer their time to tweak/revise/perfect the scans as they came in, and thus this would be a collective effort. I was wrong here as well. Exactly no one stepped forth to volunteer or offer their services for the greater good.
5. So I hired my colleague at $20-hr to do the tweaking, meaning I was only losing money by the carload once the scanner was purchased.
6. I acquired the scanner with your subscriptions, and a few of the remaining super rare kits.
7. I am now looking for a CAD designer in Ukraine or India or elsewhere who can do quality work at less than American prices, b-c at this price i CAN´T AFFORD to subsidize this project that much. A single kit, like the 1-48 Bandai Panther G, will require 100 pieces tweaked, and at one hour per greeblie to tweak, you can see how 150 kits would add up to several dozens of thousands of dollars.
8. THAT being said, I am still intending to do this, as a labor of love, and for the future of the hobby. I can only promise that once the tweaked scans start coming in as pure, clean, ready-to-print .stl files, you will ALL be very glad you got in at the price you did, because the later price will be based on what was actually spent and will at a minimum quadruple, if not go through the roof.
9. So all I ask is that you remember that Rome wasn´t built in a day, and that Patience wins every time. It´s taken me 42 years since the movie came out to build an accurate Y-Wing Fighter, and at my first go it was museum-quality and now sits in a Museum. So the effort, the expense, and the patience, in my opinion, really is worth it.
10. Anyone still having technical issues getting in to the Box folder, hang in there, I´m working on it this weekend, and-or if you haven´t already send me an PM with the e-mail address you want used for access.

Thanks,

SK

4. My second impression was that skilled RPFers would volunteer their time to tweak/revise/perfect the scans as they came in, and thus this would be a collective effort. I was wrong here as well. Exactly no one stepped forth to volunteer or offer their services for the greater good.
In the private messages I sent you on April 8, 2020 and April 23, 2020 I offered to help clean things up or do whatever else I could do to help further the project beyond my initial investment in helping you buy your scanner. You responded on April 23, 2020 saying you'd be happy to have me clean up the scans. I'm still happy to help in cleaning up these files to create printable models, but I will obviously need the scans to start off with, and they will have to be in some file format that I can work with.

As has been mentioned before, the .ASC file format is an unknown one to me and I can't do anything with it. I can work with the .STL and .OBJ files, so if you can upload all scans in either of those formats, I can take a stab at cleaning up the models to make watertight, printable files.

What scans did you pay your colleague to tweak? If there are more raw scans waiting in the wings, please go ahead and upload them. If you like, I can see if I can upload my cleaned up versions of the 2 usable files that have been offered in the Box folder to date. Please let me know how best to help move this along.

Cantina Dude,

My apologies -- you DID make that offer, and it is greatly appreciated. I will be sure to send you all that I have, and make, as it comes in.

Meanwhile, I am in Mexico without my laptop -- on sabbatical doing a "digital detox" and writing a book about it, so unfortunately all my files and scans are still in Chicagoland. I get to check e-mail about once a week, but will be back in the saddle and stateside in January.

Thanks,

Read

i must admit i had a sneaking suspicion that this would not be as simply as plonk the bit on the scanner and away you go. i received the email giving me access thank you, unfortunately i have no skills whatsoever in 3d scanning, printing, cad work or anything like that otherwise i would lend a hand (unless anyone wants to teach me of course). i appreciate the amount of work this will take and you wont hear me complain about the tiny price i paid ever.

Cantina Dude,

While everyone is waiting, want to go ahead and give your CAD skills a demonstration by cleaning up and posting printable watermesh tight files for the existing scans that are in the folder? Might be a big inspiration to others if you were up for it.

(And if you have already done this, please let us know that too)

Thanks for considering,

SK

IIRC the files in that folder are all good except the "wing". Cantina Dude - if you can fix that I'd appreciate it :) Also if you're willing to teach me how to do it I could assist with the cleanup... I'm computer literate - but a 3D modeling noob - but also a pretty quick learner :)

PM if you're interested in showing me how to do it :)

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

IIRC the files in that folder are all good except the "wing". Cantina Dude - if you can fix that I'd appreciate it :) Also if you're willing to teach me how to do it I could assist with the cleanup... I'm computer literate - but a 3D modeling noob - but also a pretty quick learner :)

PM if you're interested in showing me how to do it :)

Thanks,
Jedi Dade
Yeah, the 2 usable files are already "watertight" and printable models.

The "Entex Wankel Left Side Pinal 2 Scan.stl" file is a very nice scan that actually even shows the flashing on the original model part. One could digitally trim that off and re-upload that, but the detail as it stands is fantastic.

The "Tamiya-1-35-8radLowerHull.obj" file is not nearly as nice a scan and the level of detail is quite soft in comparison to the Entex Wankel part. I don't know if it's worth spending time cleaning up a file that is so soft in detail. One would wind up basically remodeling the part entirely to be able to print a nice sharp part. But the file is currently printable as it stands.

The "wing" file is in some format that I don't know anything about and can't do anything with, as I have mentioned previously. So there's nothing more I can do to help on that one until a new file is uploaded in the proper format.

I feel it might be necessary to make totally clear that I am not the seller of this product, Studio Kitbash is. I am just a customer and I contributed my money to help Studio Kitbash purchase his scanner just like any of the other customers. I have offered to help clean up some of the scans to make them more printable but I'm not being paid. I'm happy to help out, but would find a little more inspiration if there were part scans that were of more interest to me. I'm not personally very invested in either of the currently available parts that have been scanned and uploaded as I am not currently building a 5' Falcon nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. When I bought into this product last April after chatting with Studio Kitbash about his plans, I was personally looking forward to Y-Wing parts being amongst the first batches of parts, as that is the model that I have most interest in at the moment and he already owns all the needed kits. Studio Kitbash had said that he would be back home from his 6 month sabbatical in Mexico on January 12, so let's hope we start seeing some more scans getting uploaded in a usable file format at that point.

I too am a customer of Studio Kitbash at his highest Teir... I also am not doing the 5 footer or well anything at the moment... but I build studio scale kits and having a library of greeblies to print at my fingertips is too good to pass on. I did a bit of research into the ASC file - its some sort of ascii format that can be translated into a 3D model - I assume is some sort of vertex edge description that I don't understand (lkinda like 3D modeling XML) but is importable to 3D modeling SW with a bit of figuring. The thing is I have no idea what to do with it after that I really know very little about actual modeling but am pretty decent with computers in general.

Anyway - as I mentioned before If you're willing to teach I'm willing to learn :) IF you want to teach we can continue in a PM and/or phone calls.

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Firstly, we are missing content. Sean Sides video states there are 3,000 model parts on the 5 foot Falcon let alone the other parts and the sub-assemblies that have been promised. I know the project is to take 3 years, but we are a good chunk through the first year and not much progress. I hope Studio KB kicks this into high gear certainly by the end of January. It's also clear that if we want to fire up our resin printers and produce a build plate full of vintage greeblies, we need watertight mesh STL files.

I spoke via PM with him yesterday... He's coing home (He's been out of the Country) in a few days and expects to get the Scanning going.

Jedi Dade

Is this project still ongoing?
I'm interested, do you know anything new, how many kits are available?.
Sadly as one of the Tier 8 supporters I would not recommend contributing until we start see some progress on this project. The last personal correspondence with S. Kitbash was July 12 2020, sending me a link to 3 files of various quality - there has been no new progress on the project since.

And to Studio Kitbash if you're reading this, you really need to get this project starting and deliver on your word.

Happy news -- we are back from our one-semester sabbatical in Mexico, and as of this weekend, I am back in the (very crowded) basement, scanning away. So this project is not lost, forgotten, or abandoned, and right now I am scanning the two subassemblies for the Y-Wing wings, of which you'll need to print four.

Thanks for hanging in there. All your criticisms are well founded, and I certainly understand your frustration. Keep paying attention and you'll start to see the folders populate.

Cantina Dude, if your offer still stands to tweak/revise/perfect files, I'd love to take you up on it. Anyone else who has CAD skills and can offer their help, I'm both eager to learn and eager to have your assistance. If you have "serious" skills in this area, and haven't yet signed up, I'd be happy to swap a subscription at Tier 8 for your help in revision so that the output could be perfect .stl files that were "ready to print."

Cantina Dude, if your offer still stands to tweak/revise/perfect files, I'd love to take you up on it. Anyone else who has CAD skills and can offer their help, I'm both eager to learn and eager to have your assistance. If you have "serious" skills in this area, and haven't yet signed up, I'd be happy to swap a subscription at Tier 8 for your help in revision so that the output could be perfect .stl files that were "ready to print."
I am still up for cleaning some scans up to make them printable, particularly if they are for models I am most interested in, as I've said before. Again, if you upload some scans in a usable format (i.e. ".stl" or ".obj" NOT ".asc") I can take a look at them.

Happy news -- we are back from our one-semester sabbatical in Mexico, and as of this weekend, I am back in the (very crowded) basement, scanning away. So this project is not lost, forgotten, or abandoned, and right now I am scanning the two subassemblies for the Y-Wing wings, of which you'll need to print four.

Thanks for hanging in there. All your criticisms are well founded, and I certainly understand your frustration. Keep paying attention and you'll start to see the folders populate.

I can also help clean scans

I've never cleaned a scanned part, but I will be happy to redo them from scratch using the scanned part as reference. I'm using rhino 5, so round parts are round and not faceted like on some other software. Also since the base works is done with solid and not mesh it's 100% guaranted printable.

Can provide multiple format after the parts are done (.stl / .obj / .step / .3dm and more if needed).

I'd be happy to help as well, if possible. I'm not currently a subscriber, but I'm still very much interested in this sort of thing, and I plan on making my own scans at some point.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back