Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

Falcon Vent Rings Perfected

1614105390161.png
1614105527631.png

.stl files coming soon.

Not to be a Noodge, but I don't see this or any other models past the first 3 on the share site... am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Is there any way I can see a list of what kinds of files you have available?
Read through the last few pages of this thread and you will see there has been very little produced by this project to date. There are only 2 useable files available so far. There is a very nice scan of one of the sides of the 1/5th Entex Wankle engine:

Entex Wankle Left Side Final 2 Scan.PNG

and a pretty soft detail scan of the lower hull from the 1/35th Tamiya 8 rad:

Tamiya-1-35-8radLowerHull.PNG

That's it...

Tier 1 to tier 8, just one subscriber on each tier adds up to almost 800 dollars,i assume there is more than one subscriber on each tier so potentially thousands of dollars donated/collected, enough to pay for a holiday to mexico maybe?

Less than a week away from a year on this project too.

I would be fuming if i contributed to this.

I would link together and find out who contributed to which tier and see if this is still viable, it doesn't look like it is to me but i hope it all works out.

Not to be a Noodge, but I don't see this or any other models past the first 3 on the share site... am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jedi Dade
No you're not. As far as I can tell there hasnt been any progress on this project for months and the author seems more interested in other threads on this forum.

Even worse is that the vent rings above would take only a few minutes to CAD and convert to stl in a program like fusion360 so "not having time" isn't really a valid excuse here.

Reznoc,

Hopefully these vent ring .stl files will be published next month (April). Waiting to hear from two different CAD designers, both of whom have slightly different design aesthetics, and wildly different free-time work schedules. (And your point that it would take no time is NOT LOST ON ME -- imagine my frustration, when I can't my guy to simply hit the "Convert to .stl" button on his computer. But he moved to Canada last week, and he's otherwise pre-occupied. And this was a project that we started over two years ago. So believe me, I share all of your frustrations.

Also, my old computer is now regularly giving me "Insufficient Memory" on any/all new scans I try, so it simply won't process the final mesh file. So right now I'm arguing with my wife about how much of our "stimmie" money can be spent on a new computer. This isn't nearly as pleasant a conversation as you imagine it to be. Please recall at the outset that I was very realistic when I said this project would likely take five years.

Meanwhile, don't be confused or dismayed by my participation or contribution to "other threads" -- they are ALL the same thing, and they ALL overlap in ONE and ONE area only: Star Wars Studio Scale models. You will never see me on a Batman or Star Trek or other thread. So I would say that I am "pretty narrowly focused." And the only reason I'm building more than a Y-Wing is because of my noob discovery that there was simply a select number of kits ILM used, and it was from this one menu that all the film's props were made. So by acquiring the Y-Wing source kits, I have also inadvertently acquired the majority of Millennium Falcon kits, and am now building a Falcon, and helping others build a Falcon just as I helped others build a Y-Wing (and continue to do so). So you can badger me about greeblies, and you can bemoan the fact that this isn't my full-time job and is just a hobby, but you can't bully me into imagining that your schedule is my new imperative.

I get to things when I can get to them, and my work is absolutely satisfaction-guaranteed. Ask ANYONE who has sent me a dime, and you'll discover loads of people who got a second box of spare/replacement/duplicate greeblies at no cost, and weren't even asked to pay shipping charges. My Ph.D. took me ten years to write, but I didn't quit that either. I may be slower than you'd prefer, but I am steady at the helm. And the snark is probably not winning you any friends.

Finally, and FYI for everyone: dozens and dozens of scans have been made, but the final mesh file (in watertight form) then goes wonky with the underlayer/flat side, and since I don't have the CAD skills to fix them, they are simply dozens of wasted hours that I get no results from. So at 2-4 hours per scan, please try to understand that I am the one 'fuming' and I am the one far more frustrated than you. One possibility I am looking into is simply taking a CAD course at the community college this summer, so that I can stop relying on outside vendors to be my help. But that also takes time, and thus would require, um... patience.

Tier 1 to tier 8, just one subscriber on each tier adds up to almost 800 dollars,i assume there is more than one subscriber on each tier so potentially thousands of dollars donated/collected, enough to pay for a holiday to mexico maybe?

Less than a week away from a year on this project too.

I would be fuming if i contributed to this.

I would link together and find out who contributed to which tier and see if this is still viable, it doesn't look like it is to me but i hope it all works out.
Meerkat,

I like your balls, but please keep them out of the range of my foot -- I used to play center striker on the soccer team. This post of yours is just plain rude and insulting. You don't know me, and if you did you would never stoop this low to say such things. I am a tenured professor and my sabbatical to Mexico was fully funded by my university, and every penny of the money received for this project went to a.) the Einscan SE scanner and b.) a few more model kits that were rare and had yet to be acquired, and this happened LONG before Mexico. I have found some serious gems that will save subscribers a lot of headache.

And all of you: collective b*tching doesn't make a.) a new computer magically appear, b.) give me more than 168 hours per week, c.) teach me the CAD skills I currently don't have or d.) change one wit how fast or slow I can deliver the scans. The ONLY thing it achieves is to discourage me for having attempted a bit of supreme idealism at trying to share the collective cost and thus lower the individual cost for continuing this hobby well into the future after all the rare kits are bought and bashed out.

Give me a subscriber on this list who has a.) the time and b.) the CAD skills and wants to take this project over, and I'll box up the scanner and ship it to them tomorrow. You have my word. Barring that, please quit the negativity, it's killing me.

I wasn't being negative - I was asking if there was an update.

And again its not being overly negative to state a fact that 2.5 models have been posted in almost a year. I'm not saying your reasons are invalid, but it does still remain a fact. At your 5 year rate we'd expect 30 or so per year... and if we had 30 scans I don't think anyone would have even asked the question (including me).

I apologize if that is coming off as negative, It was not my intent. In reality I was concerned that I had something wrong with my Box account or something where I was missing things being published.

Jedi Dade

Give me a subscriber on this list who has a.) the time and b.) the CAD skills and wants to take this project over, and I'll box up the scanner and ship it to them tomorrow. You have my word. Barring that, please quit the negativity, it's killing me.
I'm a subscriber who has, along with my initial financial investment in your scanner, offered to contribute my CAD skills several times. If you want to ship the scanner to me along with the parts to scan, I can take a stab at it.

Also, my old computer is now regularly giving me "Insufficient Memory" on any/all new scans I try, so it simply won't process the final mesh file. So right now I'm arguing with my wife about how much of our "stimmie" money can be spent on a new computer.

You had previously said you already bought a new computer to work with this scanner in May of 2020:
Day Three: Get/install new computer,

Did that not work? It seemed to allow you to get the 2 scans that you have uploaded so far, so perhaps there's just an issue that can be resolved rather than replacing the whole computer again.

Cantina Dude,

Thank you -- I was hoping you'd be the first to jump on this.

PM me your address, I'll post it to you asap.

Also, in May 2020, when I said 'get/install' new computer, I was simply borrowing an old computer from the school's lab, and it turned out to be not nearly "new" enough, as I came to find out. So it was new to me, but not new out of a box.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

SK

I wasn't being negative - I was asking if there was an update.

And again its not being overly negative to state a fact that 2.5 models have been posted in almost a year. I'm not saying your reasons are invalid, but it does still remain a fact. At your 5 year rate we'd expect 30 or so per year... and if we had 30 scans I don't think anyone would have even asked the question (including me).

I apologize if that is coming off as negative, It was not my intent. In reality I was concerned that I had something wrong with my Box account or something where I was missing things being published.

Jedi Dade
Jedi Dade,

You make valid points. In my experience, 90% of studio scale is the learning curve, and 10% is the actual making of it. So in hindsight, I should have probably learned CAD skills first before acquiring the scanner, but I really was under the impression that a 0.05mm scan accuracy WAS the solution to getting "ready-to-print" .stl files, and I was simply wrong.

Hopefully Cantina Dude can make all of us happy with his existing skills. I'm sending it to him tomorrow.

Meerkat,

I like your balls, but please keep them out of the range of my foot -- I used to play center striker on the soccer team. This post of yours is just plain rude and insulting. I am a tenured professor
And i like your courage too, you dont know how big my balls are so stop posting nonsense as my post was not bitching.

Tenured professors would not leave their clients asking questions where the next post update or file comes from, i,m only saying what your subscribers/donators want to say and its obviously paying off as your now posting on this thread rather than your other threads you recently posted on !

As for your laptop being not up to scratch and left at home during your sabbatical is i believe a load of codswallop, update ram or ssd drive, this is not expensive or hard to do, if the processor is not up to scratch then i would have thought a Professor would have realised this before taking on said project.

Meerkat,

You are not invited to my birthday party, nor will you ever be.

The gentlemanly thing to do would have been to apologize for maligning my character and impugning my integrity.

You have revealed yourself to be quite a bit less than a gentleman.

Good day.

I suggest we move to a new phase of constructive movement. Cantina Dude is now the custodian of the scanner purchased by the run participants. Studio-KB, are you going to send the model kits to Cantina for scanning? Also, to clarify, regarding the phrase '150 donors', the video of the recent masterful build by a member (blanking on his handle, sorry!) stated that the falcon contains about 3000 parts from 150 donor kits. Are we to assume we are getting 3000 scans or about 20 parts from each of the 150 kits? What sort of master spreadsheet will be provided to Cantina Dude so he can scan each part (hopefully) and properly name and categorize each scan?

I've noticed that runs seem to go awry when a well-intentioned poster simply bites of more than he can chew. After the money is collected, and the pressure is on for performance, that's when the problems occur. It's usually when the poster believes he (or she) can master the skills or amass the resources who posses such skills to produce the product. Time and time again I see runs where the 'runner' indicates problems and delays with the machine shop, etc. When folks need to collect money prior to moving forward with the run, to me, is also a worrisome sign. The most successful initiators of runs are those that already have the skills and funds to make the project happen, and take on the endeavor because it is 'easy' to make it happen, they are generally enthusiastic and enjoy the challenge and praise when things go right, are true fans, and they can make a little money or get the run product as a 'freebie.' Fieldmarshall is so successful in his runs and with his shop because he has his own machine shop and the tools, skills, and cashflow to make it happen. And we can damn well be sure he has one of everything he offers in his own collection- just because he can lol.

Looking forward to a build plate full of greebie goodness.

As someone who does a lot of scanning my advice would be this. Do one process at a time, get all the scans done first and post the raw data. Worry about the clean up later. Once you have everything scanned a system of clean up to stl can easily be managed.

The people who know how to clean up the scan data will be happy, and the people who don't will still see steady progress being made.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back