Limited Run 3D Scans of 150+ Star Wars Confirmed Donors

At the moment no. there have been some difficulties wit the learning curve using the scanner to get good results, so at the moment there are only a few scans posted... 3 or 4 last I checked.

Jedi Dade

We're currently on vacation, away from the scanner. But we're also wondering how much we can have scanned/repaired/presented perfectly at my CAD designer's rates, and how much you'll have to be making your own repairs to partial (non-watertight mesh) scans. To scan, for instance, the entire kit of the Bandai 1/48 Panther G, a heavily used kit in multiple areas, will cost about $2,000.00. So we're looking at all our options, including scanning only key kits and letting users "scale up" or "scale down" depending on need. So for that cost, for example, why not scan the Bandai 1/24 scale Panther G and let users reduce the print size when they go to print, and etc.

The current dilemma is time-to-outcome ratio. I don't mind throwing thousands of hours at scanning individual greeblies, but it's not worth it if the result is a scan that only those with 3D CAD design skills can tweak, perfect, and then finally, print. So to get to the "GrabCAD Library" value proposition, we either need a lot more time, or a lot more money, or both.

Stay tuned.

But in terms of updates and value, you WILL be getting (subscribers only) the complete armature 3D files for the 5-Footer Millennium Falcon, which is currently nearing perfection. We're test-running it this week on my brother's industrial strength 90k CNC Router.

We're currently on vacation, away from the scanner. But we're also wondering how much we can have scanned/repaired/presented perfectly at my CAD designer's rates, and how much you'll have to be making your own repairs to partial (non-watertight mesh) scans. To scan, for instance, the entire kit of the Bandai 1/48 Panther G, a heavily used kit in multiple areas, will cost about $2,000.00. So we're looking at all our options, including scanning only key kits and letting users "scale up" or "scale down" depending on need. So for that cost, for example, why not scan the Bandai 1/24 scale Panther G and let users reduce the print size when they go to print, and etc.

The current dilemma is time-to-outcome ratio. I don't mind throwing thousands of hours at scanning individual greeblies, but it's not worth it if the result is a scan that only those with 3D CAD design skills can tweak, perfect, and then finally, print. So to get to the "GrabCAD Library" value proposition, we either need a lot more time, or a lot more money, or both.

Stay tuned.

I was just curious on the progress. I haven't taken the plunge on purchasing a 3d printer yet, but I have a few projects coming up that I've been buying kits for. It is getting to the point of the cost of the kits is out weighing the 3d printed method if the models are available. I'm in no rush by any means, just looking to see how it's progressing.

Hey Studio-KB,

Are there any updated STL files? The last post was almost two months ago. Hoping for a flood of STL files soon! :)

Would love to browse that hard drive!
I really want to sub to one of the tiers. I'm waiting for some progress before I contribute funds towards this project.

The files sent to him that are relevant to this thread and this project can be found online.

It is the years of research, archiving of reference photos and more that took up a majority of the space for what was included (about 200 +/- gigs of data). Yes, all Star Wars related.

The drive was/is to be used to help store stl files that Studio Kitbash scans.

hi guys, i bought in but im still pretty sure i have not had an email to allow me to access the files. can someone look into this for me?

I really want to sub to one of the tiers. I'm waiting for some progress before I contribute funds towards this project.

The files sent to him that are relevant to this thread and this project can be found online.

It is the years of research, archiving of reference photos and more that took up a majority of the space for what was included (about 200 +/- gigs of data). Yes, all Star Wars related.

The drive was/is to be used to help store stl files that Studio Kitbash scans.
That is amazing as I drool over this lol
hi guys, i bought in but im still pretty sure i have not had an email to allow me to access the files. can someone look into this for me?
Yeah I did too, I have not received anything either starting to get restless.

Scott

Despite being in Mexico currently, I am able about once per week to update and correct any missing links. So if you are still having a technical issue accessing the folder, please PM me. To the best of my current knowledge, all subscribers have access.

Despite being in Mexico currently, I am able about once per week to update and correct any missing links. So if you are still having a technical issue accessing the folder, please PM me. To the best of my current knowledge, all subscribers have access.
Is the "box.com" folder still what we're using here? If so, should I only be seeing 3 files at this point? Here is what I see:

1603404528650.png

I've been able to open the "Entex Wankel Left Side Final 2 Scan.stl" file and the "Tamiya-1-35-8radLowerHull.obj" file but I've still not been able to figure out what to do with the "AirfixHurricaneLowerWingNONWatertightMesh_32.asc" file. Did you figure out what ".asc" files are and how to convert them into something we can use?

Can you offer some sort of timeline as to when we will start to see some additional scans?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back