3D Printing Help

Cooper648

I have a question that has been on my mind for a while now. If I buy a rep-rap 3D printer, or any printer with a small build grid and I want to print, lets say a full scale ironman helmet, it would be to big to print the full object, so could I slice or cut the helmet into smaller pieces with a program and then print the pieces and glue them together to construct the full helmet? Also could someone recommend me a good 3D modeling program or CAD software that could do this? Thank you!

Hi there

I looked into 3D printing a lot recently and was considering getting one of these from reprap

http://www.reprapcentral.com/Mendel/RepRap-Laser-Cut-Mondo-Kit/flypage.tpl.html

With a print area that big it'll do a full helmet in one, and for a 3D printer of that size it's pretty cost effective.

As for 3D programs, I use Rhino 3D as it has a great range of formats you can save your files as. I haven't had it for long, so I'm still getting my head around some of it, but I've found it to be quite user friendly.

*edit* damn slow refresh!

This reprap printer your looking at is very nice. Kinda expensive though, im looking for something in the $100 - $500 range but im starting to think there isnt a good one for that price with a large build grid. Ill be checking out rhino 3D also soon.

I would wait on that printer until they have ironed out all the bugs.

Are you up for putting one together and calibrating everything yourself? For around $600 you can get this: V2 Linear Prusa Kit with Gregs & .35mm Nozzle

you just have to put it together, get a power supply (a PC supply will work) and cut about $30 worth of metal.

I'm ordering one at the end of the week.

I've done a little research on the Maki and it seems good for a beginner like me even if it has a bug or 2. The one your talking about is a little advanced for me by thank you for the suggestion.

As to the original post, you can cut up a 3d object and print it in pieces and glue it together. Shouldn't be a problem. You just have to cut your 3D object up in 3D modeling software. Whether it's Rhino, Solidworks, pro-e, 3ds max, Maya, Inventor, et al, you should be able to hack up an object to get it into pieces that will fit your printing plate.

Hi again

I forgot to say this in my ealier post.

Always check the print definition before buying if possible, while the price might be good, there might be a lot more finishing work later on. Ask the company your buying from for a sample or close up pic of a sample made by the printer your interested in. If they try to talk you out of it the printer probably isn't as good as they say it is.

I looked long and hard for a kit printer that could match some of the big boys out there for quality. The reason I chose the printer in my other post is the fact it's accurate to 0.01mm with a choice of a .5 or .25mm head (good choices for coverage and detail), plus the enormous print area makes for a lot of bang for your buck.

*edit* Damn this is a busy thread!

Last edited:
Good advice, I'll do a little digging to find out how precise it is. Man people on the RPF are so nice! Thank you for being nice to a beginner.

Hey no prob, I'm pretty new to prop making myself. I just happen to like engineering and technology and knew a thing or two about the subject.

The print area for the one I linked by the way is:

H=18 x W=12 x H=11 inches and can print a Vader helmet in one go....lovely :thumbsup

Prop making has been a dream of mine for a while now, I have worked on a few helmeted but they pretty much failed because I couldn't get them to look the exact way I wanted them too, I hope 3D printing helps make it easier as I am learning CAD and 3D modeling.

As to the original post, you can cut up a 3d object and print it in pieces and glue it together. Shouldn't be a problem. You just have to cut your 3D object up in 3D modeling software.

I do exactly this with projects for my DIY cnc machine. I model in Rhino and use the "wirecut" command to slice it where needed.

is the fact it's accurate to 0.01mm with a choice of a .5 or .25mm head (good choices for coverage and detail)

The .01mm accuracy is a 'placement' accuracy nothing to do with the print resolution... And I personally highly doubt the machine as constructed will actually hold that accuracy repeatably... With a .5mm head the best accuracy you can expect is well, .5mm, same with a .25mm head the best possible accuracy is .25mm... Neither head will produce anywhere near 0.01mm accuracy...

I doesn't matter if the steppers and machine can hold a 0.01mm accuracy of moment if the print head can't print that small... Print a .25mm line, move over or even up .05mm and print again and you are not going to get a .30mm part you are going to get a stacked mess, of two .25mm lines...

I know it's out of the price range but for a starting price of $1,499.00, this looks like one of the best machines I've seen;

www.x-object.com
www.x-object.com

The video of the toy being repaired is a little surreal, but the process and resolution for the home user does look good.

The .01mm accuracy is a 'placement' accuracy nothing to do with the print resolution... And I personally highly doubt the machine as constructed will actually hold that accuracy repeatably... With a .5mm head the best accuracy you can expect is well, .5mm, same with a .25mm head the best possible accuracy is .25mm... Neither head will produce anywhere near 0.01mm accuracy...

I doesn't matter if the steppers and machine can hold a 0.01mm accuracy of moment if the print head can't print that small... Print a .25mm line, move over or even up .05mm and print again and you are not going to get a .30mm part you are going to get a stacked mess, of two .25mm lines...

Oops! Thanks for clearing that up exoray, I must of miss read it. Sorry all.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back