37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Wow. Definitely rare for a builder to offer free upgrade parts. Hats off to you Mike. Glad you're back in action after your spider accident.

TazMan2000

Guys,

I have another general question. I have stuck approx 130 0.75mm fiber optics into my BSG and I need to group them together to not only get them out of the way, but to also attach them to individual LEDs. I have both 5mm and 3mm LEDs. How many fibers should I put in one group if I'm using the 3mm LED and how many in one group for the 5mm LED?

IMG_3527.JPG

Ken

I think the best plan of attack is to get some styrene tubing, like 1/4 inch i think for the 5mm Led's. You can then route as many FO thru that tube as will fit. Leave the FO long for now, route the ones near each other thru the tube, using the tube like a sleeve to hold them all. You can then trim back some of the FO as you route everything so the all kind of terminate in the same spot, still being sure to leave a little slack so you can move them around. Then slide the tube so that one end can accept the LED, wrap with black tape to eliminate the light leak and hold everything in place.

I will go ahead and ask..tho I'm pretty sure I missed the boat on this one...But is there still a way to get one of these? :)

PM Mike for availability. i think he is taking a break on these as he is working on the V4 X-Wing kit right now. I'm sure you can still get one.

Hi everyone I ordered one of Mike's BSG kits, and have been researching some things. I read dmaul's post about the engine honeycomb and I PMed him, and he sent me to the post by Ryan. I looked up the grid stuff and found something similar at the HoneyGrids website. This stuff was 1/8 in. cell size and 3/8 in. thick, but I had trouble checking out when I ran into a link to there ebay store where I found real aluminum honeycomb of the same 1/8 in. cell size and it was 3/8 thick, and it was less than 12 dollars with shipping. This is exactly what I was looking for. Although it might be a little to delicate, we will see. The auction sight at ebay is http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-x-7-Alumi...363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3da7a043 Thanks again for a fantastic kit.
Take care, Tim :)

Looks like your nice an level. Not sure why there is a gap on some of these, it's not present in the pattern. I have a feeling that it's because of the hydrostatic pressure that pushes on the back wall of the head during casting. There is not much that i can change on it, so the evergreen strip + a little bit of kit bashing may be the best way to help blend it.

In other news a few big updates.

#1 Just finished up a full set of new molds, mixed news because i may not have time until after X mas to do casting of new kits. I am super busy with the x wing run right now.
#2 I have molded and have been actively casting update parts. The update parts i have in my hands are the back dome from Martyn, who has graciously allowed me to mold the 3D one he did. The new front dome, some new launch tubes, and a new rear landing bay cap detail (just the very end part) all designed by Dan Grumeretz and molded with his permission.
# 3 I am negotiating with Tony (FZ6) to pay him for the nose he designed. Basically i will pay him so i can mold the nose and offer it in my upgrade kit. Tony is very generous so this should happen.

So in short, anyone who purchased a kit should get a resin upgrade kit of 2 new domes, 8 launch tube upgrades (cut out the old) 2 rear landing bay detail caps (not the whole cap, just the detail bit at the end) and a new nose. As soon as possible i will send these out to everyone at no additional cost.

New kits going forward will come with the above parts as part of a standard kit.

Thanks
mike

Thank You so much Mike I been waiting to hear back from you,I have sent you a few PM's asking about these upgrade parts,Mike when you have time can you get back to me please on the PM I sent you..

By the way I have started on my BSG but as of right now it is on hold until my health gets better to start on her again ,so I guess this is is a good time that my health is bad so it gives me time to get these upgrade parts from you..

Clarence

I think the best plan of attack is to get some styrene tubing, like 1/4 inch i think for the 5mm Led's. You can then route as many FO thru that tube as will fit. Leave the FO long for now, route the ones near each other thru the tube, using the tube like a sleeve to hold them all. You can then trim back some of the FO as you route everything so the all kind of terminate in the same spot, still being sure to leave a little slack so you can move them around. Then slide the tube so that one end can accept the LED, wrap with black tape to eliminate the light leak and hold everything in place.

I'm in the process of getting all the FO in order. I'm using TB syringes. They fit quite a few FO filaments and the 5mm LEDs fit snuggly into the ends. I have one question though. Can I spray the FO (and the interior if the model) with black automotive primer to prevent light leaks? Will it harm the FO like cyanoacrylate glue does?

Ken

PM Mike for availability. i think he is taking a break on these as he is working on the V4 X-Wing kit right now. I'm sure you can still get one.

Thanks..I will try. Old School Galactica means a ton to me. I was the one who made Richard Hatch's Cg galactica back in the day for his Second coming trailer. So having a "real" galactica would rock!

I'm in the process of getting all the FO in order. I'm using TB syringes. They fit quite a few FO filaments and the 5mm LEDs fit snuggly into the ends. I have one question though. Can I spray the FO (and the interior if the model) with black automotive primer to prevent light leaks? Will it harm the FO like cyanoacrylate glue does?

Ken
Ken, I dont think it would hurt your spraying the out side of the model and the optics seem fine even though you will be snipping these off at the model I wouldn't use a aggressive paint like laquer paint. This is also my plan to paint all the model black on the inside. I would use a dollar store primer not auto. Thanks......Jim

Yeah tried that..Fingers cross..no word back tho yet. I've never had that much luck in getting ahold of the salzo man ..

Hang in there. He will get back to you. His PM box is nearly always full with questions, comments, etc. I'm sure it takes a while to find the "orders".

Hey guys, yeah PM box is a very busy place and i have not had much time for anything other than molding and casting lately, sorry.

I have a brand new set of mold for this, plus the update parts. I am just waiting for the new nose from Shapeways that will be going into the upgrade parts as well as all new kits, just need to get Tony a bit of funds for his work on the nose.

I will be taking orders for this in a couple of weeks when i am caught up on the x wing stuff, if you have PM'd me I will do my best to get back to you soon.

thanks
mike

Hey guys, yeah PM box is a very busy place and i have not had much time for anything other than molding and casting lately, sorry.

I have a brand new set of mold for this, plus the update parts. I am just waiting for the new nose from Shapeways that will be going into the upgrade parts as well as all new kits, just need to get Tony a bit of funds for his work on the nose.

I will be taking orders for this in a couple of weeks when i am caught up on the x wing stuff, if you have PM'd me I will do my best to get back to you soon.

thanks
mike
Awesome!

Hello Mike,

since i have purchased the upgrade parts (bridge, nose, both domes) via Shapeways already, there is no need to put them
to "my" Galactica.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany,
Jan

It is soooo cool that some of Tony's parts are becoming part of the regular production kit! :D:cool:thumbsup

I can not say I have been taken care of as well as you are doing Mike! Truly amazing work you do! I have ordered Tony's Falcon upgrade parts from SW, more amazing work! Beautiful parts! To have the two together is fantastic!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back