37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Yeah, just to repost an update..

Sorry, everything is ok just very very busy at the moment. Last couple of days got put into hyper-drive so to speak as i have an oil tank that has a small leak and needs a full replacement, which means i spent part of the day on Tuesday waiting for the oil company, part of yesterday and almost all today breaking down my entire scratch building shop, benches and all, so they can come in and replace the tank, not a lot of fun. But i am grateful that i paid for that oil tank insurance!

I will try to catch up on PM's soon and address the kit in the other thread as well.

In short, the BSG kit will be on hold for about 1 month while i do the x wing run and remold a few key parts of the galactica. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly this kit eats up molds, but it's big and has a tremendous level of detail that beats up molds.

It's just a pause, kit is not discontinued.

Feel free to continue to PM and pester me, my PM box is a hectic place sometimes and I do miss messages at times, not trying to ignore anyone so please do not take it personally. I truly appreciate everyone's support and interest here.
thanks
mike

Hello Mike, I have sent you a couple PM's have you had a chance to see any of them?

Clarence

Any one know Salzo's screen name? ​I Want to PM hime about getting a kit some day... The Galactica is on my top for favorite ships...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got delivery of my 0.5mm drill bits and quickly broke 2 of them. They aren't long enough to penetrate some areas of the model anyways. What size fiber optic are you guys using?

I don't think I will be able to use 0.5mm. :(

Do you think I could drill a bigger hole and still fill it with 0.5mm FO?

Ken

I went with .75 for just that reason, still broke a couple of drill bits but not too bad. A little out of scale, but to be honest most of the greeblies are a bit "chunkier" than exactly 1/2 size due to the limitations of the parts i had available , so .75 IMO actually does not really look out of scale.

I just got delivery of my 0.5mm drill bits and quickly broke 2 of them. They aren't long enough to penetrate some areas of the model anyways. What size fiber optic are you guys using?

I don't think I will be able to use 0.5mm. :(

Do you think I could drill a bigger hole and still fill it with 0.5mm FO?

Ken

Mike, Got it love it and I understand why everyone is in awl about this kit great stuff what can I say that hasn't already but Thanks Happy Happy Happy Thanks Jim

Congrats on getting yours Kermet. You now have 7 months and counting until Wonderfest next May to get it done. I expect to see it there next to mine.

Yep, Robiwon we should try and get with each other and go together. yes I am very proud to own one of these kits, and seven months is going to fly by. Ive pm Mike mine was missing the two domes. I know I can get the upgrade domes but I'm hoping to see what I can do with the kit domes. I really love this kit and want to keep it as close to what Mike has put out with some scratching on it but mostly with all the parts that comes with the kit. Lets Get On This Wonderfest Adventure Together let me know. Thanks Jim

I have received my Parts from Shapeways.
The large version of the nosepart was includes. But this is no problem, because the correct part will be on its way soon.
All parts were individually and very carefully packed. They have arrived in perfect condition.

I was very curious, how good the resolution of the 3D-print would be. Would it be high enough so that it will not be noticeable after painting? Absolutely YES !
The resolution is just amazing. Even without paint, it is absolutely not noticeable. Surfaces and curves are 100% smooth and details are super crisp.
I doubt that 3D-printed parts will replace the conventional method of making garage kits soon. But the prices of 3D-printed parts will drop and they will be offered more and more.
The high quality of the parts is justifying the high price. If the improving of an already fantastic kit justifies the expenses is a question everybody needs to answer for themselves. In my opinion, especially the 2 domes and the bridge do really rock. Mikes nosepart is already absolute fantastic, so normally I would not look for a replacement part for it. Shapeways nosepart is absolutely fantastic too. It is more accurate and crisper. So I am happy I have bought it.
Thank you very much FZ6 for offering those parts and
THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH Mike for making such an amazing kit !
Shapeway parts 1.jpg
Shapeway parts 2.jpg

Michael

Kermet, I know Mike is sending out a new, better, rear dome which is why it wasn't in your kit. Not sure about the front dome though.

Hugescale, glad you like the parts from FZ6. The big nose was a major boo-boo but I'm glad FZ6 was fast to act and correct the parts size and order replacements for people. Nice picture by the way. I have the nose printing at SW right now for me. Can't wait to get it.

And I agree, this kit that Mike has given us is absolutely fantastic and a dream come true for many many fans of the show. I think this and the X-Wing will go down as the two greatest garage kits of our time...

Man resin dust flying For Sure, Clarence, be ready for alot of resin dust it was like at times snowing. Ive taken pics now just figure out how to get them on here kinda let everyone see my shop and where I am on the build, everything moving along step by step, there is alot of evergreen greeble time involved, got some wiring ran just so it will be ready for hook up once I get my Leds and fiber optics this wiring was ran to the landing bays cause I'm going with Oliver's landing bay build. See what I can do about pics. Thanks Jim

Will you be there with yours?

I plan to have it at Wonderfest if possible, but I still a have a lot work to do. I'm waiting to get some of those nice add-on parts before I get too far, but I do have the main body assembled using two full length lamp rods. Also using aluminum angle for bracing and supports since they won't change over time with heat and humidity that we have here in the deep south.

Ok, here is where I happen to be now, working on landing bays alsoPicture 003.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 005.jpgPicture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 008.jpgPicture 009.jpgPicture 015.jpgPicture 016.jpgPicture 018.jpgPicture 019.jpg Yep I gave the overall model a dark coat of gray to start then Ill do a darker coat as the build goes on. Thanks Jim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back