2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Thread™

De Rail ALERT!!!!!!! Worth a read

Jason, your Y is looking stunning mate Its going to be hard for us next in line crew to get it looking half as nice mate.

DERail!!!!

I recently sold my Old Y-Wing on ebay, got a fare price for it and was happy as larry.

THEN????

It was sent to the buyer in Japan with fedex with full insurance. I did state in my ebay description that it is fragile and if shaken about too much that parts could come loose and modelling skills would be needed to repair it. I packed it as well as I could and sent it off to its new home.
Five days after it landed in Japan I get a panic email saying its damaged and a full refund demanded, I politely respond and we start the can you send me pics or describe the damage??? A day or 2 later I get a pic of the Y in the packing box with a few parts that have come off (Not Broken) also the vector rings that attach to the plastruct T strips have come off (likely with vibration). THe box was clearly dropped by Fedex a few times and a claim for insurance goes ahead.

Claim denied!!!!!! I used Parcels 2 go to book fedex as they get much better rates (almost half of the direct price), reason for the no claim was I had stated to them the model was made of Resin???? This is a prohibited item and there for not meant to be sent under their terms and cond's.... I search the site again and again but find no trace of this stated. Eventually after a long and boring back and 2 they send me a link to the prohibited items page and there it is in the list of materials not allowed RESIN.

SO I explain the hole resin molding process and its still denied but they feel bad and offer to look into a repair cost instead of a full claim. Meanwhile the buyer is in a panic and files a claim with paypal, now has 2 claims on the go!!!!!! Whilst I remind the buyer I did stress this could happen and modelling skills would be required (he ignores this) and send s me a repair quote from a friend, it would be cheaper to fly to japan and repair it myself!!!!!!!

Paypal send me the dispute link and I answer all questions in the correct manor. Whilst waiting for a decision on my my own repair quote that was sent to Parcels 2 go he files a claim with paypal and its upgraded from a dispute to claim. This morning I go to the claim page on paypal to add the info that the Insurance have granted me a very healthy refund towards repair costs considering its just a tube of super glue thats required. I spot on the claim page with paypal he has already sent me the Y-Wing back Via fedex........oh dear!!!

I call paypal to let them know he has sent the item back but I am away on tpur with Snow Patrol and wont be home for a month or so, the item cant be collected by me and will most likely get sent back, I also let them know the insurance claim was a success for the repair. "Fantastic" they say, but he should not have sent the item back without permission as the case is still open. If the buyer cant get written evidence that the item is damaged in 10 days the claim will be closed against him as they dont except photo evidence.

My dilema........ I have full payment from the sale, almost a third of the sale price on its way in a cheque from the insurance, and soon the Y wing back if my partner is home to collect it. The chances are it wasn't packed as well as I did and will arrive even more damaged, but I wont know for another month till I get home. I stated in the listing Dont buy with out modelling skills and do not want to refund for such a small problem. Lee has seen the pics and it really is a simple repair.

First off if anyone uses Parcels 2 go for shipping resin models never say that its resin, always say its plastic and you'll be OK.

I'm going to either not except the parcel from Fedex and let them return the item and refund the insurance claim to the buyer to cover his Fedex and repair costs, job done. The irony is, if it lands back with me in the next few days and is badly damaged I cant make a claim as its RESIN.

If you buy a built resin model please please please be aware of the risks, I have a feeling by the time my Y wing has gone round the world a few times it wont be worth a penny.

My next question is does anyone know a good modeller i Japan that could do some basic repairs? I will fix it and return it but if it gets damaged I can send him a contact of a repairer in Japan it will help me a lot?

Any thoughts on who?

Back to the Jammer Hammer

Yeah did the pics on this one, and ill be totally honest, i could have repaired it in 20 mins, without a trace, and thats including the cup of tea i had brewing.
This guy is a prime example of this "claim" society, and really seems short of a few brain cells, no i really mean that, im sure he has a problem with the upstairs.
Glad it seems to be working out for you buddy, did mean to ask the other day.

lee

De Rail ALERT!!!!!!! Worth a read

I'm going to either not except the parcel from Fedex and let them return the item and refund the insurance claim to the buyer to cover his Fedex and repair costs, job done. The irony is, if it lands back with me in the next few days and is badly damaged I cant make a claim as its RESIN.

Not sure if this would be a good idea but if the Y-wing arrives back with not to much more damage you could refund the money keep the insurance money, fix the model and re sell it.

Not sure if this would be a good idea but if the Y-wing arrives back with not to much more damage you could refund the money keep the insurance money, fix the model and re sell it.

Sadly they sent it back without marking it a return item and Fedex are asking for over £300 import Duty as he valued it including the original shipping costs,:behave. If I except it back I'm way out of pocket, its cheaper for me to not except the parcel and let it go back as un collected and then refund him the repair costs from the insurance. That way he can recoup the costs of sending it back before a decision was made and get it repaired locally.....lets hope he packed it well and didn't do anything rash like just put it in a box........That could back fire if he did.

A fellow RPF'er is also stepping in Japan side that may be able to help. :cool

What a nightmare. Sell it in-country next time maybe? This is one of those ebay stories that makes me never want to ship anything outside my own country. Good luck Guy!

Claim denied!!!!!! I used Parcels 2 go to book fedex as they get much better rates (almost half of the direct price), reason for the no claim was I had stated to them the model was made of Resin???? This is a prohibited item and there for not meant to be sent under their terms and cond's.... I search the site again and again but find no trace of this stated. Eventually after a long and boring back and 2 they send me a link to the prohibited items page and there it is in the list of materials not allowed RESIN.

SO I explain the hole resin molding process and its still denied but they feel bad and offer to look into a repair cost instead of a full claim. Meanwhile the buyer is in a panic and files a claim with paypal, now has 2 claims on the go!!!!!! Whilst I remind the buyer I did stress this could happen and modelling skills would be required (he ignores this) and send s me a repair quote from a friend, it would be cheaper to fly to japan and repair it myself!!!!!!!
But "resin" isn't really a specific material, right? Isn't the resin that modelers work with one kind of material, and that material is what the model is made of--not "resin" per se? Isn't the stuff we use urethane or polyurethane?

Re Guy Cowen's shipping problem... I'm with you. It's something I worry about all the time.

First, from my experience, no couriers or mail services will cover any damage to an item that is hand-made or a one-off, UNLESS they either pack it themselves or supervise the packing of the item in person. I know this as I experienced it myself. As for it being made of resin or whatever, they will do all they can to avoid paying a claim. Part of me doesn't blame them because of all the fraudsters out there, but the other part of me is infuriated because that's why you pay the ridiculous amount extra for the insurance. But there you go, it's yet another classic example where too many idiots who think they deserve something that someone else has screws it up for the honest and decent people who are just trying to earn a living.

The biggest single nightmare I always have in this business is shipping, because it's the one thing I have ZERO control over, from the government rules and regulations to the insane rates that are charged (at least here in Canatax) to the nazis who often destroy things in customs to the unionized gorillas who handle the packages. There's a real reason why the Jim Carrey character does such a great (and exceptionally accurate) job in the opening sequence of "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective".

Quite frankly, if you don't pack things well enough to be dropped out of an airplane from 50,000 feet, land on the top of Mt. Everest to tumble down granite cliffs into the path of a tank firing it's cannons at it which then runs over it at 50 MPH, chances are it WILL get broken!

Awesome build on an incredible piece! You guys are amazing!! Gotta get me one of these! Would love to find out if anything is still available!

Just took pics - will process over the next couple of days!

6910701115_314cdabaa8_o.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back