2005 Doctor Who - Captain Jack's Sonic Blaster

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kylash, May 14, 2006.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

Just after seeing the new episode on SciFi this Friday, got curious if anyone's done one of these or has better pics from a prop exhibit or anything?

2. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

from what i remember the design changed from that gun to the one that appeared. i dont think anyone actually did one at all.

i wish someone would make the main part of this, but like the gun the design altered when it hit the screens
    [​IMG]
    shouldnt be that hard to do i reckon i have the button somewhere for it lol

3. Servo

Servo Well-Known Member

Here's the actual wrist computer prop. Was just looking to see what it would take to reproduce it, myself. :)

You can see that the design did change slightly from the original drawing.

[​IMG]

4. mtsbspidey

mtsbspidey Well-Known Member

god * i love that wrist computer....i've been trying to figure out if it is within my skills...i severely doubt that it is...sadly...skott

5. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I looked high and low for that leather band. I'm pretty sure it's an actual watch band, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone ever have any luck?

6. Zev

Zev Well-Known Member

The button is from a Samsung... *looks inside my cell* A300. :D When it dies, it's becoming one of those wrist computers. It's a beautiful design. I've been looking for a similar wrist strap for ages to no avail.

On the sonic blaster, the design really didn't change at all from plans to reality.

[attachmentid=8092]
    [attachmentid=8093]
    [attachmentid=8094]
    [attachmentid=8095]
    [attachmentid=8096]
    [attachmentid=8097]

Excuse my fuzzy screencaps.

7. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

8. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hey, someone get these pics of the pistol to a machinist forthwith. this is too good to pass up. :D

9. SPDOmegaRanger

<div class='quotetop'>(Servo @ May 14 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]1244190[/snapback]</div>
    the three top buttons look familar but i cant put my finger on it what there from, also i reckon the wrist strap was more than likelly custom made for the show

10. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I suppose you guys would want it all lit up and stuff?

11. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jmtwo @ May 17 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]1245639[/snapback]</div>
    BUT OF COURSE... :D

Just looking at the stitching on the wrist comp's wrist strap I'd have to say it's custom and not existing item.

12. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree, the stitching suggests the whole wrist band is custom.

Mind you, this is the BBC.......

13. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Jmtwo @ May 17 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]1245639[/snapback]</div>
    i'll take the pistol with or without lights .... it's my instant gratification gene kicking in :p

14. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(nailuj @ May 17 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]1245832[/snapback]</div>
    If that'a reference to them doing things on teh cheap...those days are very over. :D

15. Gordon Gekko

Anyone have any more caps of the Pistol? Maybe a little closer.

16. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Is it just me or does the wrist computer look like an mp3 player? The band looks to be a custom build, but wouldn't be too hard to do.

18. Servo

Servo Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like a MP3 player, too, but I couldn't find the right one...

19. Birdie

The pistol looks like silver painted plastic/resin to me.

20. Kylash

yessss, project moving forward >:)

21. SPDOmegaRanger

i would love to see either a resin piece or a working light pistol same for his wrist computer.

22. Kylash

they showed a preview of extras of the coming US release of the first season on DVD and showed the drawing in the first post and then a closeup of the real prop. Does anyone here from the UK have a dvd set of this with the same shot???

23. Gordon Gekko

<div class='quotetop'>(Kylash327 @ Jun 2 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]1255235[/snapback]</div>

That would be sweet if someone had more detailed caps. From what I could tell, the design didn't change too much from the drawing to production.

Here is what I came up with after looking at the caps and watching the episode several times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've rough cut some parts, but not anything worth showing at this stage. As always, input, ideas, etc welcome.

24. Kylash

lookin great to me. yeah the pic they showed was actually like a production shot of the prop, not just a screencap, so until the US dvd comes out in the 4th of July, hopefully someone in the UK has the same extra on their dvd with the shot...

25. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

I hope that this will get made, it's a great looking prop and I want both of them.

Since Captain Jack is going to be heading up the new series Torchwood we might get more shots if they keep the prop.

26. Birdie

27. Kylash

thats it. :D THANKS.

28. Gordon Gekko

Yeah Birdie. Do you have the other side as clear? Keep it comin' if ya got it.

Also, I don't do electronics, so if someone has ideas as to what kind of spacing to leave open on the interior that would be helpful. I figure battery pack in the handle, trigger activation, LEDs for lighting clear blue resin parts in the barrel. Looks like the four lights closest to the grip might just be a particular type of LED?

I'm getting excited.

29. Birdie

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    That's the only one, unfortanateley. I'm inclined to believe that the prop would be pretty symmetrical, it has that kind of old 'ray gun' perfect look to it.

On the DVD they talk to the guy who designed the gun, he also did the bracelet.

BTW, if you are going to put one together, I am so on the list :lol

30. Gordon Gekko

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Jun 3 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]1255605[/snapback]</div>

It's coming. Just want to get it right.

31. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Put me on that list too. Price permitting. ;\

Jay

32. neophyl

neophyl Well-Known Member

The 4 lights around it are just standard 5mm leds. Which also means you have a known dimension to scale things from if you can get pics at the right angles to work from.

33. Gordon Gekko

Finally started real work on this baby and thought it would be a good idea to show a step-by-step. I'm really liking the design they came up with. I think it has a very classy look.

So, hopefully from humble beginnings:

The blueprint I came up with lasered onto 3/4" mdf.

[​IMG]

The basic shape cut out.

[​IMG]

Starting to roundover the edges.

[​IMG]

I'm keeping it in two halves so I can put in some pathways for electronics.

More to come soon.

34. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Nicley done. Im excited to see the progress of this.

35. Kylash

cant wait to see more.

36. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jmtwo @ Jun 10 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]1259458[/snapback]</div>
    If you do half as well as you did with Jayne's pistol, count me in on one of these.

37. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Looking forward to more photo's on this on . I have never seen one go from a wood carving to a full prop before. It will come in handy for a mother box prop I am playing around with.

Tek

38. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Ooh, cool. We get to see this aesthetically pleasing prop as it's fabricated. Say- Do you have a friend with a vid-cam? Get someone to tape you as you work, and cut it down to a short 'prop-umentary'. :)

Jay

39. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

It's a good start. I find myself wanting the wrist comp more than the gun strangely.

I'm sure few if any of us would want the compact laser Capt. Jack was, erm, carriying with him during his nude scene in "Bad Wolf." At least not without cleaning it first. ;)

40. Jeddie

Jeddie Well-Known Member

Brilliant start to a worthy project. I agree, I too would LOVE the wrist device.

41. Jeddie

Jeddie Well-Known Member

Any updates to the project?

42. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Updates please, even if you just explain the process.

Tek

43. Gordon Gekko

Not much to update right now. This thing has alot of complicated curves in the trigger and handle area. So rather than try to work it by hand and get a less than symetrical result, I am modeling it in 3d and then I am going to mill the parts on cnc. That will also allow me to make the grips from wood so it will have a nice grain on the resin casts.

Hang in there fellas, I'll have something soon.

44. Jeddie

Jeddie Well-Known Member

Ohhh Sounds interesting. :D

45. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

I hope making this doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention. The factory that made them in the 51st century was blown up. I hope you don't get a visit from the Doctor. :lol

Seriously though.... I love that someone is making these. It's a wonderful piece and it has such class to it. Reminds you of some old ray guns, but with a more modern feel.

46. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Add me to the list of the interested, mainly for the wrist comp if anyone does a kit but Captain Jack's blaster has an appeal to it as well.

(Notice the carefully camoflaged banana joke in there?)

47. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im actually working on a version of this myself, Ive sculpted the main body out of high denisty foam it looks great but im wondering how to get a smoother finish if I decide to make a cast of it, I hope to have some pictures up in a few days

48. JBReplicas

Heres my effort so far, not much to look at but its getting there

49. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

what is that made of
    it looks like florist foam?

50. JBReplicas

Yeah it was floral foam, I say was as I found a denser version of the same product and decided to start again, I have resculpted the main body and am currently coating it with Gesso to give it a bit of strength for moulding.